NBA Draft

Kevin Love to MIN? I don’t like that for them at all. Are they going to play him and Jefferson at the same time? Just seems a little weird to me.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Kevin Love to MIN? I don’t like that for them at all. Are they going to play him and Jefferson at the same time? Just seems a little weird to me.[/quote]

Same here. I think both teams would have been better off keeping their original pics and can’t believe Memphis was willing to take Marko Jaric’s contract.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
Kevin Love to MIN? I don’t like that for them at all. Are they going to play him and Jefferson at the same time? Just seems a little weird to me.

Same here. I think both teams would have been better off keeping their original pics and can’t believe Memphis was willing to take Marko Jaric’s contract.[/quote]

I’m not surprised by anything Memphis does anymore. The new owner of the Sonics should’ve bought the Grizzlies instead and move them to OK. City.

I think with the Love move, they’re planning on using Jefferson excusively at the 5, which is both good and bad. I can’t believe the Sonics took Westbrook. I made the Daniels comparison earlier, Daniels went 4th [same spot] 11 years ago. I hope I’m wrong for his sake, but he has bust written all over him. How does Bayless fall to 11th, and then get traded to the Blazers? That’s a straight steal for the Blazers. I guess he’s gonna come off the bench as a Ben Gordon-esque combo, 'cause he’s not an NBA point at this time, but he has a rediculous first step and a killer pull-up off the bounce going either way. He’s the guard I like the most out of that HS class [Mayo,Rose,Gordon] and I think with time, he’ll be the most productive scorer of the bunch. Unless the Clips trade Maggette, and Mobley and Thornton shift spots Gordon’s gonna have a hell of a time finding minutes. I like the Joe Alexander pick, but now that Jefferson is there at the 3 and Villanueva’s at the 4 he’s gonna have alot of time to study the playbook and watch film. I agreed with Tmoney earlier, and I really hope we’re both wrong, but I see this as being an average draft at best, and at worst producing a ton of guys who are out of the league in a few years.

Also, why in the fuck did the Bobcats take Augustine? He’s a less athletic, better shooting Ray Felton. I don’t see them moving Felton, 'cause in all honesty he doesn’t have much value. This was a really strange draft.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Unless the Clips trade Maggette, and Mobley and Thornton shift spots Gordon’s gonna have a hell of a time finding minutes. I like the Joe Alexander pick, but now that Jefferson is there at the 3 and Villanueva’s at the 4 he’s gonna have alot of time to study the playbook and watch film. I agreed with Tmoney earlier, and I really hope we’re both wrong, but I see this as being an average draft at best, and at worst producing a ton of guys who are out of the league in a few years.[/quote]

Maggette is likely going to opt out of the final year though and Milwaukee has been fielding offers for Villanueava for a while.

But I do agree about the quality of the draft though. You could see it last night with how so many people dropped lower than they were originally projected as going. Seems like most of the guys this year had too many question marks about whether they could really be an NBA player.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Unless the Clips trade Maggette, and Mobley and Thornton shift spots Gordon’s gonna have a hell of a time finding minutes. I like the Joe Alexander pick, but now that Jefferson is there at the 3 and Villanueva’s at the 4 he’s gonna have alot of time to study the playbook and watch film. I agreed with Tmoney earlier, and I really hope we’re both wrong, but I see this as being an average draft at best, and at worst producing a ton of guys who are out of the league in a few years.

Maggette is likely going to opt out of the final year though and Milwaukee has been fielding offers for Villanueava for a while.

But I do agree about the quality of the draft though. You could see it last night with how so many people dropped lower than they were originally projected as going. Seems like most of the guys this year had too many question marks about whether they could really be an NBA player.[/quote]

I knew about Maggete possibly opting out, but I hadn’t heard about Villanueva. Every year there’s a few people picked earlier than expected or dropping a few spots lower, but never anything like last night. I feel for Deandre Jordan. A month ago he was a lottery pick, and last night he went in the 2nd round. He might not even make a roster. Anthony Randolph going 14th is absurd. He’s playing in Europe or completely out of basketball in a few years. One guy I do like is Bill Walker. He was billed as the next VC coming outta HS, has had some knee injuries-including a meniscus problem during the pre draft process- and was picked by the Wiz and traded to the Celts in the 2nd round. He’s really explosive around the basket, and if he can get his knee problems sorted out and improve his handle and mid range game, he has starter potential down the road.

Very glad my Heat took Beasley and got a solid PG at the 52 pick.

Hopefully with Wade and Beasley we can turn things around quickly and make the playoffs once again. That is if Wade can finally get back to 100%.

I think Darrell Arthur should’ve been drafted alot higher. Looks like the scouts did not respect Kansas too much.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Unless the Clips trade Maggette, and Mobley and Thornton shift spots Gordon’s gonna have a hell of a time finding minutes. I like the Joe Alexander pick, but now that Jefferson is there at the 3 and Villanueva’s at the 4 he’s gonna have alot of time to study the playbook and watch film.

I agreed with Tmoney earlier, and I really hope we’re both wrong, but I see this as being an average draft at best, and at worst producing a ton of guys who are out of the league in a few years.

But I do agree about the quality of the draft though. You could see it last night with how so many people dropped lower than they were originally projected as going. Seems like most of the guys this year had too many question marks about whether they could really be an NBA player.

I knew about Maggete possibly opting out, but I hadn’t heard about Villanueva. Every year there’s a few people picked earlier than expected or dropping a few spots lower, but never anything like last night. I feel for Deandre Jordan. A month ago he was a lottery pick, and last night he went in the 2nd round. He might not even make a roster.

Anthony Randolph going 14th is absurd. He’s playing in Europe or completely out of basketball in a few years. One guy I do like is Bill Walker. He was billed as the next VC coming outta HS, has had some knee injuries-including a meniscus problem during the pre draft process- and was picked by the Wiz and traded to the Celts in the 2nd round.

He’s really explosive around the basket, and if he can get his knee problems sorted out and improve his handle and mid range game, he has starter potential down the road.[/quote]

Well, I only knew about Villanueava because he’s been in rumors involving the Warriors since before the trade deadline last season.

I’m not sold on Randolph. Too young, too skinny, and seems like a long term project. I have no idea what’s going to happen with him.

You never know about these guys that had injuries pre-draft. Monta Ellis has knee issues coming out of high school and slipped to the second round. Seems like that worked out pretty well for the W’s.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I think Darrell Arthur should’ve been drafted alot higher. Looks like the scouts did not respect Kansas too much.

[/quote]

He’s got some major health issues. I’m not positive about everything but it has to do with his kidneys and that’s why he dropped so much.

I love the Bayless move for Portland. Brandon Rush would’ve been a good fit for them but I think Bayless can be Leandro Barbosa. The Blazers look like they are getting ready to take over the NBA. Of course, this means that Greg Oden will break his other leg and Roy will leave in 3 years.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

He’s got some major health issues. I’m not positive about everything but it has to do with his kidneys and that’s why he dropped so much.

I love the Bayless move for Portland. Brandon Rush would’ve been a good fit for them but I think Bayless can be Leandro Barbosa. The Blazers look like they are getting ready to take over the NBA. Of course, this means that Greg Oden will break his other leg and Roy will leave in 3 years.[/quote]

Plus, they were saying last night during draft coverage that when the initial concerns about Arthur’s health were raised and they asked for additional testing, Arther’s camp refused.

He said last night that they finally did some testing and it all came back fine, but it was probably a little too late and I’m sure the initial decline of the tests raised a lot of red flags.

It almost seems like Portland is stockpiling too much talent though. At some point, players are going to start complaining about playing time and either leave or demand trades.

[quote]chillain wrote:
The Bambino wrote:
If he really wants it, I think Mayo could be an All-Star in a few short years.

Sure looks that way to me and as of now, it also looks like he’ll be playing out that rookie contract in MEM:

“[MIN sends] the draft rights to Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to the Grizzlies in return for the draft rights to Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.”

[/quote]

I figured out the reason why Memphis traded Kevin Love:

Because if he would have stayed, the Grizzlies would have the Gay-Love tandem. Now they have the Gay-Mayo duo lol.

Rudy Gay is the only ray of light for that franchise right now. Heck, the NBA Logo himself jumped ship. You know for a fact something is wrong when West bails out.

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
I would have liked to have seen Dorsey in a Pistons uniform. Excuse the cliche, but he strikes me as a blue-collar, lunch bucket type player. Good rebounder, shot blocker and tough as hell.

Could have been the second coming of Ben Wallace. Instead, we trade with the Sonics for a D-league player. I hope this is not another Darko.
[/quote]

I agree with this. JD is an animal, reminds me of Dwight Howard with the broad shoulders and style of play. I’m really glad the three Memphis guys got drafted (D-Rose, Dorsey, and CDR).

Historically, the Pistons don’t draft well, they maneuver the league through trades and free agency. Tayshaun Prince is one guy though that stands out from the Pistons drafts in recent years.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
chillain wrote:
The Bambino wrote:
If he really wants it, I think Mayo could be an All-Star in a few short years.

Sure looks that way to me and as of now, it also looks like he’ll be playing out that rookie contract in MEM:

“[MIN sends] the draft rights to Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to the Grizzlies in return for the draft rights to Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.”

I figured out the reason why Memphis traded Kevin Love:

Because if he would have stayed, the Grizzlies would have the Gay-Love tandem. Now they have the Gay-Mayo duo lol.
[/quote]

LOL! I would have never thought of that if you hadn’t pointed it out.

[quote]bigstu wrote:
Anyone else love Kevin Pritchard?

The guy has the green light to spend Paul Allen’s money and is genius with trades.

Those Blazers will be GREAT in 4 years.[/quote]

Yeah Pritchard is awesome. The Trail Blazers are basically the Steelers of the NBA Draft by always drafting good.

Oden, Roy, and Aldridge should set the foundation for this young team, and bring them back to the glory days of Drexler, Kersey, and Porter.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

Plus, they were saying last night during draft coverage that when the initial concerns about Arthur’s health were raised and they asked for additional testing, Arther’s camp refused.

He said last night that they finally did some testing and it all came back fine, but it was probably a little too late and I’m sure the initial decline of the tests raised a lot of red flags.

It almost seems like Portland is stockpiling too much talent though. At some point, players are going to start complaining about playing time and either leave or demand trades.

[/quote]

Yeah it definitely hurt his stock. When he refused to have further testing done, that automatically throws up warning signals. But I agree with you Vader, too little too late for his draft status.

And I agree with Portland stockpiling too much talent. I think it’s actually a good problem to have. I would rather have too much talent than too little, but I can see some issues going down in a couple of years with playing time and just a young group of guys playing together, and everyone wants the ball.

Brandon Roy HAS to be the leader of that team, no exception. Without his leadership, the team will not excel as well as they should. Nate McMillan has done a good job so far with the young nucleus, and with Oden set to come back next year, it will be interesting to watch them.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:

Historically, the Pistons don’t draft well, they maneuver the league through trades and free agency. Tayshaun Prince is one guy though that stands out from the Pistons drafts in recent years.[/quote]

What about Stuckey last year? Guy was sick the second half of this season…

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
And I agree with Portland stockpiling too much talent. I think it’s actually a good problem to have. I would rather have too much talent than too little, but I can see some issues going down in a couple of years with playing time and just a young group of guys playing together, and everyone wants the ball.

Brandon Roy HAS to be the leader of that team, no exception. Without his leadership, the team will not excel as well as they should. Nate McMillan has done a good job so far with the young nucleus, and with Oden set to come back next year, it will be interesting to watch them.[/quote]

Oh I agree, it’s great problem to have. Plus, it gives them a ton of trade flexibility should they ever want to land a key veteran or any other trade that would help them.

They should be definitely interesting to watch next year. I’m hoping Oden comes back strong. It’s hard not to root for the guy. His ESPN spots are great.

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Historically, the Pistons don’t draft well, they maneuver the league through trades and free agency. Tayshaun Prince is one guy though that stands out from the Pistons drafts in recent years.

What about Stuckey last year? Guy was sick the second half of this season…[/quote]

You are correct, good call on Stuckey. I also forgot about Jason Maxiell, who is a good fit for the Pistons as well.

I stand corrected on my previous comment. I had Darko in mind and made the comment lol my bad.