NBA Draft

I haven’t seen anything here about tomorrows draft, so I thought I’d post. I keep hearing that Derrick Rose is a lock for first, but I gotta be honest, I don’t see his game translating well to the league, at least not for a bit. He’s athletic as all get out, but he has a high handle and a shaky jumper, and his college system ran NO pick-and-rolls, the staple of the league. If they pass on Beasley they’re gonna kick themselves in the ass for years. He measuerd much shorter than listed [6’8 1/2" in shoes, listed at 6’10"] and has questions about maturity, but this dude is the only guy in the draft who has perrennial all-star potential. Barring injury he’s the sure fire rookie of the year.

The two guards I like the most are Jerryd Bayless and Eric Gordon. Both these guys are really athletic, shoot the ball well and know how to read a defense. Shot selection is a lil’ shakey, but that’ll develop with game maturity. I saw one site had Russell Westbrook going 6th to the Knicks. If that happens, that will go down as one of the dumbest moves of all time. At best I see him as the next Antonio Daniels, at worst out of the league in a few years. Joe Alexander has a little Shawn Marion in him, and in a few years will be 15+,8+ guy in the league. That’s all I can think of at the moment. Let me know what ya’ll are thinking.

Honestly, I think that Derrick Rose deserves every ounce of respect for being taken #1 in the draft. Why? Because of the way he proved himself in college by taking his team to the championship and nearly winning the whole thing in his first and only year of college.

Quite impressive indeed. Dont get me wrong, Beasley was a monster player who showed he had feq equals in college and dominated but the offense and game plan was largely centered around Beasley whereas Rose was asked more to be a facilator.

To me, Rose’s game and ultra-athleticsm will instantly translate to the NBA game and anyone who thinks he isnt #1 worthy is smoking something serious. To me, he’s one of thoese potential players that don’t come around to often but when they do, you know. He’s not on some LBJ -ish, but in a couple years, who knows?

He didn’t take them to the title game. He helped, but Douglas-Roberts was more instrumental in their success, IMO. He’s a winner though, you’re right, I just don’t see his game translating for at least a few years, if ever. Mark it down, barring injury Beasley is the ROY.

Beasley looked great this year, but it’s a little easier to look good one your the only player on your team. Plus he didn’t make other members of his team look great as good players often do.

Dwayne Wade made Travis Deiner look like an allstar, Carmelo made Mcnamarer into a perenial college player of the year candidate. Oden brought Mike Conolly to the NBA with him. I just didn’t see that from Beasley.

Rose on the other hand turned Memphis into an Offensive Jauggernaut, and times when his team played horrible he still played well.(Although he did lost both times).

I am a little upset with this maturity in sports bulshit. The media is taking everything to the extreme as they alway do. The kid plays practical jokes so he’s immature? What the fuck is that? He’s not screaming “PRACTICE” like Allen iverson.

You don’t hear about him smackin up bitches, or autographing facials after she says no. He didn’t steal any laptops, why are they trying so hard to turn him into a bad boy?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
He didn’t take them to the title game. He helped, but Douglas-Roberts was more instrumental in their success, IMO. He’s a winner though, you’re right, I just don’t see his game translating for at least a few years, if ever. Mark it down, barring injury Beasley is the ROY.[/quote]

Too bad Douglas-Roberts pulled a disappearing act against tennessee, otherwise they would have one, because Rose was bustin their ass.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Beasley looked great this year, but it’s a little easier to look good one your the only player on your team. Plus he didn’t make other members of his team look great as good players often do.

Dwayne Wade made Travis Deiner look like an allstar, Carmelo made Mcnamarer into a perenial college player of the year candidate. Oden brought Mike Conolly to the NBA with him. I just didn’t see that from Beasley.

Rose on the other hand turned Memphis into an Offensive Jauggernaut, and times when his team played horrible he still played well.(Although he did lost both times).

I am a little upset with this maturity in sports bulshit. The media is taking everything to the extreme as they alway do. The kid plays practical jokes so he’s immature? What the fuck is that? He’s not screaming “PRACTICE” like Allen iverson.

You don’t hear about him smackin up bitches, or autographing facials after she says no. He didn’t steal any laptops, why are they trying so hard to turn him into a bad boy? [/quote]

Beasley had Bill Walker,a top 5 highschool recruit who was coming back from his 2nd acl tear and still put up over 16 a game. Mike Connolly was a McDonalds All-American, so there goes that arguement.

Memphis has been an offensive juggernaut. No doubt Rose helped, and he’s proven himself a winner, but he is not the number 1 pick. Mark it down, the Bulls are gonna kick themselves in the ass and Paxson will be gone as GM in a few years if they don’t take Beasley. I agree with you on the maturity thing.

In Beasleys’ case there are still lingering concerns over spray painting his principals car and acting like an asshole through his highschool tenure. I wouldn’t give a fuck if he set a bus full of nuns on fire. He’s THE ONLY SURE THING in this draft.

I was in the minority that felt that Beasley should have gone #1. Don’t get me wrong, D-Rose is a great player, but the Bulls are too guard-heavy and needed a scoring 3. Beasley fits that role, but I’ll say that Rose is a better leader, and that’s what a young Bulls team needs right now.

Hinrich just re-upped his deal with the Bulls, so it will be interesting to see how all of this will play out with the team, if Rose rides the pine behind Hinrich (highly unlikely) or if he gets moved to the 2.

Beasley and Wade: that’s gonna be a good combination for the Heat.

I know this might sound dumb, but I’m not “feeling” this rookie class. Other than Beasley (and Oden, in a roundabout way), I don’t think there will be a guy that’s gonna blow it out of the water. Last year, you knew either Oden or Durant would win ROY. When Oden went out with microfracture surgery, Durant was basically handed the ROY, but he definitely proved worthy his rookie year to earn it.

Did you see the crowd when the Knicks took the Italian player? They were in so much shock it was hilarious (with all due respect to Knicks fans).

If he really wants it, I think Mayo could be an All-Star in a few short years.

All I gotta say Im glad Im not a Knicks fan. God, their management really has s–t for brains.

I’m a life long Warrior’s fan. I’m not upset with our picks. I’m a little disappointed we passed on Devon Hardin with our 2nd rounder though. I was hoping they’d go with the home town guy.

I think Anthony Randolph might be good in a few years. I don’t think he addresses what they need right now, but I also don’t mind that Mullin is thinking past this season either. Not a bad pick at 14.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
I was in the minority that felt that Beasley should have gone #1. Don’t get me wrong, D-Rose is a great player, but the Bulls are too guard-heavy and needed a scoring 3. Beasley fits that role, but I’ll say that Rose is a better leader, and that’s what a young Bulls team needs right now.

Hinrich just re-upped his deal with the Bulls, so it will be interesting to see how all of this will play out with the team, if Rose rides the pine behind Hinrich (highly unlikely) or if he gets moved to the 2.

I know this might sound dumb, but I’m not “feeling” this rookie class. Other than Beasley (and Oden, in a roundabout way), I don’t think there will be a guy that’s gonna blow it out of the water. Last year, you knew either Oden or Durant would win ROY. When Oden went out with microfracture surgery, Durant was basically handed the ROY, but he definitely proved worthy his rookie year to earn it.

Did you see the crowd when the Knicks took the Italian player? They were in so much shock it was hilarious (with all due respect to Knicks fans).[/quote]

I feel the exact same way. This looks like the remix of the '86 draft.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
Did you see the crowd when the Knicks took the Italian player? They were in so much shock it was hilarious (with all due respect to Knicks fans).[/quote]

Their reaction is always great though. Is there anyone in the draft they wouldn’t have booed or been shocked about?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Did you see the crowd when the Knicks took the Italian player? They were in so much shock it was hilarious (with all due respect to Knicks fans).

I feel the exact same way. This looks like the remix of the '86 draft.
[/quote]

Ahhhh the good ol '86 class. Brad Daugherty (who now commentates about NASCAR), Len Bias (RIP), Chuck Person, Kenny “Sky” Walker, etc. Good call WhiteFlash, nice comparison.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I’m a life long Warrior’s fan. I’m not upset with our picks. I’m a little disappointed we passed on Devon Hardin with our 2nd rounder though. I was hoping they’d go with the home town guy.

I think Anthony Randolph might be good in a few years. I don’t think he addresses what they need right now, but I also don’t mind that Mullin is thinking past this season either. Not a bad pick at 14.[/quote]

i am not disappointed about hardin at all. he is not that good.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Their reaction is always great though. Is there anyone in the draft they wouldn’t have booed or been shocked about?[/quote]

Yeah you’re right, unless there were a bunch of Italians there, everyone was speechless.

My friend who is a die-hard Knicks fan and grew up in NYC called me right after the pick and said “WTF??? We just took Balki Bartokomos from Mepos University” LOL

I thought they were going to take DJ Augustin and use him to learn from Marbury, or Brook Lopez from Stanford, but we never know, he could become the next Dirk Nowitzki.

[quote]ericbyrnesjr wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I think Anthony Randolph might be good in a few years. I don’t think he addresses what they need right now, but I also don’t mind that Mullin is thinking past this season either. Not a bad pick at 14.

i am not disappointed about hardin at all. he is not that good.[/quote]

I agree he’s not that good, but in the second round why not take a chance on the local guy? However, we seem to have a good track record with 2nd round picks, so I’m going to trust their judgement.

Anyone else love Kevin Pritchard?

The guy has the green light to spend Paul Allen’s money and is genius with trades.

Those Blazers will be GREAT in 4 years.

[quote]bigstu wrote:
Anyone else love Kevin Pritchard?

The guy has the green light to spend Paul Allen’s money and is genius with trades.

Those Blazers will be GREAT in 4 years.[/quote]

I think they got Bayless via trade.

[quote]The Bambino wrote:
If he really wants it, I think Mayo could be an All-Star in a few short years. [/quote]

Sure looks that way to me and as of now, it also looks like he’ll be playing out that rookie contract in MEM:

“[MIN sends] the draft rights to Mayo, Marko Jaric, Antoine Walker and Greg Buckner to the Grizzlies in return for the draft rights to Kevin Love, Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins.”

I would have liked to have seen Dorsey in a Pistons uniform. Excuse the cliche, but he strikes me as a blue-coolar, lunch bucket type player. Good rebounder, shot blocker and tough as hell. Could have been the second coming of Ben Wallace. Instead, we trade with the Sonics for a D-league player. I hope this is not another Darko.