NBA All Star Game Votes

Stop, go to NBA.com and vote first before you comment on my selections or offer yours. Remember you have to pick from their arbitrary selections and you can write in only one candidate.

Here are my votes:

Eastern Conference

G - Jason Kidd
G - Tracy McGrady
F - Antoine Walker
F - Jamal Mashburn
C - Ben Wallace

Western Conference

G - Kobe Bryant
G - Gary Peyton
F - Kevin Garnett
F - Tim Duncan
C - Shawn Bradley

Ok, before you yell at me for picking Bradley, here is why I did it. OBVIOUSLY, I'd prefer to move Duncan to Center and then start Dirk Nowitzki at forward, but I can't. Elton Brand and CWebb were next in line for a Forward/Center position. Therefore, that leaves me with Shaq (I have no problem if Shaq starts, but he did miss 10+ games at the start) or a bunch of other centers of which Yao Ming is the next best choice, but I don't think any deserve it. Anyway, I chose Bradley as a write in because he is the driving defensive presence that has solidified Dallas as a real threat. They always has the offense, but just needed the D.

All the other choices were pretty easy except for the Eastern forwards, because there is so little to choose from. I'd probably prefer to start Pierce as a third guard instead of Walker, but can't due to voting restrictions.

So, who'd you guys pick?

Okay, here are my selections, flame away, I know I deserve it.

East:

Allen Iverson - he carries his team

Michael Jordan - I'm an avid supporter of AARP. Jason Kidd is more deserving, though.

Antoine Walker - can be a prolific scorer; lack of other choices

Jermaine O'neal - he's that damn good

Ben Wallace - no other choices and a 10-block game

West:

Mike Bibby - for the playoff performance last year (I know that shouldn't be considered, but oh well)

Tony Parker - a guard of the future, and he won't get too many votes

Tim Duncan - nuff said

Kevin Garnett - ditto

Yao Ming - a beautiful passer and seemingly a nice guy

Bibby and Parker ? - How’d you come up with that? The rest are ok.

If anything, Bobby Jackson would have got my vote, except that he just got injured. Bibby's missed most of the season.

And Parker? - He's a good guard, but better than Kobe, Peyton, Francis, Nash or Finley - NO WAY!

Ok, now that I've torn into you, I can't wait to hear what people say about me picking Bradley.

Like I said, Bibby’s selection was for the playoffs last year, so I understand that getting flamed. Parker isn’t better than the guards you mentioned (right now at least), but he’s kind of my Nader vote - you know, a wasted vote on a candidate that will never win anything. :slight_smile: As a “vote waster”, I don’t have a problem with you picking Bradley. He at least deserves a “most improved” award. Like you said, he actually provides some MUCH needed D for Dallas. I don’t think he’s a better center than Shaq, and Yao schooled him, but he’s not as bad as he used to be.

Speaking of the big men in the West, don't Shaq and Yao play Friday? I'm feeling a statement game coming from Shaq, considering Yao's lead in the voting. It could get messy.

Yeah, I have a feeling that Yao is gonna get tossed around a bit when he meets Shaq. They’ll play it up like some big match-up, but in the end, Shaq will have 40 and 15 and Yao will have hit a nice fadeaway jumper on the bat and then will fadeway onto the pine with a pretty ugly game. Hey, Shaq got knocked around by Olajuwon when he was new, so it’s time for Shaq to knock around the new kid on the block.

East
G-Jason Kidd (Has really stepped it up last few games…Nets are hot right now)
G-Tracy McGrady(Best player in the league right now)
F-Jermaine O’Neal(20 and 10 every night)
F-Antoine Walker or Mashburn
C-Zyundras Ilgauskaus(Finally healthy…putting up some decent numbers…Ben Wallace is just a defensive force)

West
G-Steve Francis (averaging 23ppg,6rpg,6apg)
G-Kobe(Broke the record last night with 12 3’s in a game!!)
F-Kevin Garnett(Doin it all for the T-Wolves)
F-Tim Duncan(Can’t be stopped)
C-Shaq(Most dominant player in the league…there should be no argument here)

It was difficult to pick a Forward for the West. I could have easily picked Dirk or CWebb, but I thought that these two have it a lot easier with so many more stars on their team, which allows them to not be double teamed as much as KG and Duncan.

You know, growing up in Cola, I remember when Jermaine O’Neal was declaring himself for the draft. He was a really good high school player, and would have been a blue chip college recruit. However, he didn’t qualify academically for college. This guy couldn’t get a 700 on his SAT.

When he went in the draft, everyone said he was too small, he wouldn’t make it, blah blah blah. Kobe was also in the draft that year and getting all the attention. Now look at it. He hasn’t had the stellar career like Kobe, but he is emerging as a dominant player. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Just reposting my message…it was hard to read the first time

East

G-Jason Kidd (Has really stepped it up last few games…Nets are hot right now)

G-Tracy McGrady(Best player in the league right now)

F-Jermaine O’Neal(20 and 10 every night)

F-Antoine Walker or Mashburn

C-Zyundras Ilgauskaus(Finally healthy…putting up some decent numbers…Ben Wallace is just a defensive force)

West

G-Steve Francis (averaging 23ppg,6rpg,6apg)

G-Kobe(Broke the record last night with 12 3’s in a game!!)

F-Kevin Garnett(Doin it all for the T-Wolves)

F-Tim Duncan(Can’t be stopped)

C-Shaq(Most dominant player in the league…there should be no argument here)

It was difficult to pick a Forward for the West. I could have easily picked Dirk or CWebb, but I thought that these two have it a lot easier with so many more stars on their team, which allows them to not be double teamed as much as KG and Duncan.

Why does everybody overlook Steve Francis? The guy leads Point Gaurds in scoring and rebounding…23 points a game, 6 assists a game and 6 rebounds a game. Credit where credit’s do.

West: Bobby Jackson (deserves to go even though he’s injured) to be replaced by Gary Payton, Kobe, Garnett, Duncan, and Shaq (I know he hasn’t played much, but he has been a lot more dominating than Yao or Bradley in that time). Definite reserve selections that come to mind are Brand, C-Webb, Shawn Marion, Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Steve Francis, Yao, and Antawn Jamison. If there’s room, Bonzi Wells, too.

East: Kidd, McGrady, O’Neal, Walker, and Wallace. Definite reserves include Paul Pierce, Ron Artest, Mashburn, Ricky Davis, Abdur-Rahim, Iverson, and Ilgaukskus (you have to send another center). Donyell Marshall, Jalen Rose, and Alvin Williams are deserving as well. I don’t feel like Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, and Glenn Robinson have done anything to merit a selection.

I grew up in Cola too (Lexington). I was in high school about the same time Jermaine was. I remember the SAT thing too. That sucked for USC, as that was where he was trying to get into. I wonder if he maybe botched the SAT to justify him going to the NBA early? Doubt it, but you never know. One reason for him being a “late bloomer” is his position - he was too small to play down low at first.