NBA 2011-2012 Season Thread 2

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
King James vs Prince Durant

The real game of thrones.[/quote]

King James never showed up lol. Damn, Miami’s defense sucked. Kind of reminds a bit of last year when they waited for the playoffs to turn up the intensity.[/quote]

Didn’t watch the game but from what I heard Durant really stepped up his D, this year in general and against LBJ in that game in particular. Anybody who watched it want to confirm?

Gonna be a fun playoffs.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
King James vs Prince Durant

The real game of thrones.[/quote]

King James never showed up lol. Damn, Miami’s defense sucked. Kind of reminds a bit of last year when they waited for the playoffs to turn up the intensity.[/quote]

Didn’t watch the game but from what I heard Durant really stepped up his D, this year in general and against LBJ in that game in particular. Anybody who watched it want to confirm?

Gonna be a fun playoffs.[/quote]

The announcers said the same thing about Durant’s defense during the game and it did look better than I remember from last years playoffs. But OKC weas getting wide open layups all night. They did a great job of moving the ball real quick but a good amount of them were wide open dunks due to Miami being super lazy on D.

[quote]LTKO wrote:
WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE OKC VS WOLVES GAME??? love had 51pts 14 rebounds and not alot of turnovers. game went to 2OT and during the end of the 4th quarter, 2 consecutive 3 point buzzer beaters by kevin durant and then kevin love. awesome shit. Wolves did not have nikolai and rubio. ):[/quote]

Good call, what an epic game. (similarly, that 1st half of yesterday’s Kansas-UNC in the elite eight was also epic, at least offensive efficiency-wise)

[quote]red04 wrote:
All I see in your post is that you didn’t have Kentucky in your final four. That may have been the easiest surefire pick in recent tourney history(there was a 0% chance of Indiana beating them again).[/quote]

Agreed, that’s the most talented college-level squad we’ve seen in a good minute. And its hardly a stretch to reminisce about those UNLV squads and the Fab Five in the same paragraph, talent-wise.

[quote]scj119 wrote:
UGH WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP MAKING EXTREME STATEMENTS?[/quote]

Heh point taken. But it’s not for nothin:

Sessions w/LAL - 14.3ppg / 6.7apg / 28.5 min/game (36min/game is most recent trend)
CP 2012 season - 19.4ppg / 8.6apg / 37.0 min/game

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:
UGH WHY DO WE HAVE TO KEEP MAKING EXTREME STATEMENTS?[/quote]

Heh point taken. But it’s not for nothin:

Sessions w/LAL - 14.3ppg / 6.7apg / 28.5 min/game (36min/game is most recent trend)
CP 2012 season - 19.4ppg / 8.6apg / 37.0 min/game
[/quote]

Holy crap, just stop. It has been a whopping six games. I grant you that if he continues to shoot 55% from the floor and 53% from three the Lakers will be title contenders. But in 306 career games he is at 45% and 32% so I don’t think that is going to happen. Sessions is a creative offensive player who is good at attacking the basket and generating free throws (while converting them at a high rate) but isn’t a great outside shooter and blows at D. For the Lakers this represents a massive upgrade because he’s replacing Derek Fisher, but that says as much about Fisher as Sessions.

Wait were you the one who though Lin had permanently solved his turnover problems because of a single 3-turnover game? Maybe I shouldn’t waste my breath.

Sessions outside shot is much better this year, but not exactly steve kerr. His game is just putting his down, driving to basket, and throwing up some slop shot; or hope to get fouled.

[quote]scj119 wrote:
Holy crap, just stop. It has been a whopping six games.[/quote]

LOL no doubt.

Cmon now scj, I thought we were cool. These is downright insulting/fighting words…

Don’t want to politicize this thread, but is anyone a little annoyed the Heat and the NBA did that whole tribute to Trayvon Martin?

Not because I think his killing was justified or not, but because the facts of what happened are unclear. Really seems inappropriate for them to air something like that IMO.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Don’t want to politicize this thread, but is anyone a little annoyed the Heat and the NBA did that whole tribute to Trayvon Martin?

Not because I think his killing was justified or not, but because the facts of what happened are unclear. Really seems inappropriate for them to air something like that IMO.

[/quote]

I’m just not sure what they hope to accomplish. It’s not really going to change anything or change people’s minds. In general I think that type of thing should be left out of basketball.

I also hate shit like this issue in general because there are so many people who die just as needlessly or more needlessly that we pay no attention to. It’s insulting to them that one particular person gets so much support. Where are the tributes for those 16 innocent people our own soldier killed in Afghanistan for no reason?

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I’m just not sure what they hope to accomplish. It’s not really going to change anything or change people’s minds. In general I think that type of thing should be left out of basketball.

I also hate shit like this issue in general because there are so many people who die just as needlessly or more needlessly that we pay no attention to. It’s insulting to them that one particular person gets so much support. Where are the tributes for those 16 innocent people our own soldier killed in Afghanistan for no reason?[/quote]

I agree with the lack of tributes for others, but I disagree about the changing of people’s minds. People care deeply about where celebrities they admire stand on issues. Someone on my facebook posted a twitter comment by Will Smith about this Trayvon/Zimmerman incident… and it had 20 likes. Never mind that it was a tweet from a fake account, and even it were from Will Smith, he is not an expert in criminology.

Even if they continue to pick and choose who to pay tribute to, at least stick to stories where people aren’t heavily divided. I mean Imagine if tomorrow Kevin Durant and Westbrook pay tribute to all the babies that have been aborted over the past year. I don’t think the NBA should step into controversy that has absolutely nothing to do with basketball or its players.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

I also hate shit like this issue in general because there are so many people who die just as needlessly or more needlessly that we pay no attention to. It’s insulting to them that one particular person gets so much support. Where are the tributes for those 16 innocent people our own soldier killed in Afghanistan for no reason?[/quote]

I agree with the lack of tributes for others, but I disagree about the changing of people’s minds. People care deeply about where celebrities they admire stand on issues. Someone on my facebook posted a twitter comment by Will Smith about this Trayvon/Zimmerman incident… and it had 20 likes. Never mind that it was a tweet from a fake account, and even it were from Will Smith, he is not an expert in criminology.

Even if they continue to pick and choose who to pay tribute to, at least stick to stories where people aren’t heavily divided. I mean Imagine if tomorrow Kevin Durant and Westbrook pay tribute to all the babies that have been aborted over the past year. I don’t think the NBA should step into controversy that has absolutely nothing to do with basketball or its players.[/quote]

Do you think all those people who “liked” it didn’t already feel that way? I don’t think it changes anyone who doesn’t already think it.

Anyway, back to bball

As much as I’ve been critical of Amare, his absence will suck for the Knicks based on who they have behind him at PF.

Honestly I’d like to see them go small and just run the shit out of people. Lin/Shumpert/JR/Melo/Chandler would be a productive foursome. No PF in the league can guard Melo, they would create a lot of matchup problems, and there aren’t many PFs in the East who are offensively talented enough to exploit Melo as much as he will exploit them.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

.[/quote]

I saw the same shit come up on my facebook feed but quoted by Will Ferrel. Later on again by Will Smith.

Back to basketball. Carmelo did pretty good last night since they played without Lin. I wonder if these guys will ever have chemistry with each other since they both play so well without each other.

Its unfortunate circumstance for Amare who has finally played Amare Like consistently lately, and playing defense which was nice to see.

Its sad but this is why no other team would want to give Amare 5 years, because it was too much of a risk to bet he would be healthy for a full 5. His contract will become an albatross for the next 3 years IMO. I like Amare and he has had a tough year (i.e. brother dying) but I see nothing but constant injuries for the rest of his career.

If the Buck game was any inclination it looks like the Knicks will employ a run and gun style of offense with a smaller lineup. For a team that was so shallow in the beginning im happy they are now one of the deepest. Even sans Amare the Knicks should be able to snatch a 7th spot in the east and I feel they will still do reasonably well for stretch run. This is Melo’s time to take over.

Its also time to dust off Toney Douglas and give him meaningful minutes again…he can be an asset.

Good article about tanking in the NBA.

A’mare should be back in 2 to 4 weeks, which means he’ll be ready for the playoffs (assuming the Knicks make the playoffs). The Knicks can give Miami and Chicago a run for their money, no doubt about it. History has shown you’re never really certain when you have the Knicks playing in the playoffs.

I actually feel pity for Orlando right now. Almost a 40 Knick lead. And its only the 3rd quarter. Wow.

Lay off the cool aid

[quote]Aggv wrote:

Lay off the cool aid[/quote]

lol

Sorry Gettinitdone, you are out of your mind.

Anything beyond a Game 5 is a “run for your money.” Do you know how electric the Garden will be come playoff time, especially if NY fans feel their team is inherently talented and playing good coming in? I think NY matches up better with Chicago than Miami but NY will not be an easy out for either Chicago or Miami.

Excellent win for the Knicks, Its amazing how many Bullshit calls Dwight Howard gets, Tyson seems to shut him down well, espescially the last 2 times they played. Melo had a lot of room to roam…and was actually efficient.

Nobody’s drinking the Kool Aid, but the Knicks playing the way they have been, will be dangerous, they have a shit ton of talent and if they put it together there is no reason to think that giving the Bulls or Heat a scare is out of the question.