NBA 2011-2012 Season Thread 2

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
It’s a stretch to say he’ll be a top 5 PG in the near future but not a stretch to say he’ll be an All-Star.

He has All-Star abilities… Have you been watching the past 2 weeks lol?[/quote]

I explained why I’m skeptical of his abilities in the last thread and I think we’re going in circles.

His lack of athleticism (relative to PGs of his position), his T/Os and his defense. He’s surprised me with his outside shooting though. I really don’t want to go over these again, especially after the crap of alleged hating I’m doing.

My prediction was that he’ll be a luxury backup PG or a below average starter. What is your prediction of him?

[quote]overstand wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Where we left off: Is Lin legit? What will he amount to in his career?[/quote]

Perennial all-star, top 5 PG in the league. [/quote]

LOL

How much money do you have to lose?

[quote]overstand wrote:
Don’t know if you guys saw this during the game.

I was saying in my last post in the other thread that this isn’t just a “hot streak”, it’s an unprecedented level of production for a virtual rookie. [/quote]

adjust for style of offense;
adjust for minutes/production;
adjust for turnovers;
consider shortened season; and,
injuries to starters.

then get back to me.

Lol raj watched 4 of his games is putting up insane numbers and his team is winning yet he still believes he’s unathletic when he consistently gets into the lane everygame. He harps on his lack of defensive ability but already has 4 steals this game. Your comments are so slanted towards the negative its ridiculous there is absolutely nothinh in his game and in this streak that would lend credence to lin becoming a sub par starter. Your opinions is only based on the length of time he has played as almost every respected coach and player who has played against him has said he is the real deal. There opinions hold a lot more water then yours again a guy who hasn’t seen half of the games he played

I don’t know, I just want him to continue to succeed and carry on this lin-sanity. I’m in the moment like most people.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:
Don’t know if you guys saw this during the game.

I was saying in my last post in the other thread that this isn’t just a “hot streak”, it’s an unprecedented level of production for a virtual rookie. [/quote]

adjust for style of offense;
adjust for minutes/production;
adjust for turnovers;
consider shortened season; and,
injuries to starters.

then get back to me. [/quote]

Adjust for level of talent around him during win streak
Adjust turnovers with amount of minutes he has played.
Adjust for the first time in his career he has played these amount of minutes.
Cancel out to’s with the amount of steals he gets per game

The problem with the anti lin folks on this thread is that they consistently fail to recognize what he has accomplished and only give excuses on why he is doing good and none of these excuses ever give him credit.

Yesterday’s 28 and 14 against a top 5 defensnive team doesent count either…but if the knicks lose tonight I’m sure there will be a see I told u so post.

Again I believe he has shown thus far to be a quality starting pg on the league thus far sure the juries still out but u guys have already made your verdict over this stretch when this stretch has shown he could play

Here’s the deal: Lin turns the ball over more than anyone I’ve ever seen, and almost every single on of those to’s is a completely boneheaded play. Dribble the ball off your foot while ducking your head and driving into collapsing D, or throwing the ball lazily into the passing lane as the defender read it from a mile away. These are inexcusable consistent mistakes from an NBA point guard, but they’re extremely correctable. I also thought he was really unathletic, but that’s changed. He doesn’t jump very high, but he has an ability to hang and strength to get off shots at the rim through contact an odd angles, and while he’s not fast he has a serious hesitation dribble and a nice crossover and knows how to get defenders on their heels and attack while the D is shifting. Those might not get you noticed at combines, but they transfer to games quite well. The bottom line is the kid can play, and while he’s had a lot of things go his way (shortened season, tired opponents, zero scouting on him, etc) he is most certainly a ball player and a starter in this league. The way he’s handling all of this is almost as impressive as the feats themselves. Give the kid his props.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Here’s the deal: Lin turns the ball over more than anyone I’ve ever seen, and almost every single on of those to’s is a completely boneheaded play. Dribble the ball off your foot while ducking your head and driving into collapsing D, or throwing the ball lazily into the passing lane as the defender read it from a mile away. These are inexcusable consistent mistakes from an NBA point guard, but they’re extremely correctable. I also thought he was really unathletic, but that’s changed. He doesn’t jump very high, but he has an ability to hang and strength to get off shots at the rim through contact an odd angles, and while he’s not fast he has a serious hesitation dribble and a nice crossover and knows how to get defenders on their heels and attack while the D is shifting. Those might not get you noticed at combines, but they transfer to games quite well. The bottom line is the kid can play, and while he’s had a lot of things go his way (shortened season, tired opponents, zero scouting on him, etc) he is most certainly a ball player and a starter in this league. The way he’s handling all of this is almost as impressive as the feats themselves. Give the kid his props.[/quote]

WF,

What role do you eventually see him settling into for the bulk of his career?

He just told you

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
He just told you[/quote]

I’m asking for specifics.

Saying he’s a starter doesn’t tell me much

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Where we left off: Is Lin legit? What will he amount to in his career?[/quote]

Perennial all-star, top 5 PG in the league. [/quote]

L

M

A

O[/quote]

I saw this too and would put this comment in line with randman’s “The 2010-2011 Laker team is the best Laker team in the past 15 years” which he said in the first month of the season.

But the difference is randman is an obnoxious asshole so I left it alone. [/quote]

Randman??? You wound me Raj.

After the first few games, I said he could be a 13-15/7 type guy, a solid role player off the bench.

After 5-6, I said he can be a starting PG.

After the Mavs game, I say the sky’s the limit. And yes that includes all-star and top 5 PG.

You can call the first couple games a fluke. They played weak teams who hadn’t scouted him yet. But there is no way you could have actually watched the Mavs-Knicks game and say this kid isn’t special. They double teamed him with Marion the ENTIRE game. They were following the poor kid out to half court and he still managed 28/14/5. This DOES NOT HAPPEN to scrubs. I don’t care how many scouts passed on him, how many teams cut him, you do not put a D League scrub in the game and have him go off like that.

As WF said, the turnovers are essentially rookie mistakes, easily correctable. As I posted in the other thread, ESPN did a sports science thing on him. Turns out he’s just as quick as John Wall.

The funniest thing about all this is the hype started because he’s asian. But at this point, the only reason there are still doubters is because he’s asian. I know Magic Johnson never played with Kobe Bryant’s dad in Europe, but he was a pretty decent PG in the NBA (lol) and Lin has his seal of approval. Should be good enough for all of us.

In other news…Melo is doing exactly what everybody feared he would do so far in this game

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
He just told you[/quote]

I’m asking for specifics.

Saying he’s a starter doesn’t tell me much[/quote]

It’d be silly to give a matter-of-fact statement based on the sample size, but I do think he’s a starter in most situations. You cannot call what he’s done to this point a fluke. The most impressive thing to me is his confidence. You have to think he’s playing off pure adrenaline right now and eventually he’ll wear out, but what he’s doing is unprecedented. It’s the craziest thing in sports in probably the last half century. Whatever happens, I’m pullin’ for him.

[quote]overstand wrote:

Randman??? You wound me Raj.[/quote]

Haha

[quote]overstand wrote:

After the first few games, I said he could be a 13-15/7 type guy, a solid role player off the bench.

After 5-6, I said he can be a starting PG.

After the Mavs game, I say the sky’s the limit. And yes that includes all-star and top 5 PG.

You can call the first couple games a fluke. They played weak teams who hadn’t scouted him yet. But there is no way you could have actually watched the Mavs-Knicks game and say this kid isn’t special. They double teamed him with Marion the ENTIRE game. They were following the poor kid out to half court and he still managed 28/14/5. This DOES NOT HAPPEN to scrubs. I don’t care how many scouts passed on him, how many teams cut him, you do not put a D League scrub in the game and have him go off like that.

As WF said, the turnovers are essentially rookie mistakes, easily correctable. As I posted in the other thread, ESPN did a sports science thing on him. Turns out he’s just as quick as John Wall.

The funniest thing about all this is the hype started because he’s asian. But at this point, the only reason there are still doubters is because he’s asian. I know Magic Johnson never played with Kobe Bryant’s dad in Europe, but he was a pretty decent PG in the NBA (lol) and Lin has his seal of approval. Should be good enough for all of us. [/quote]

Fair enough.

The only thing I will say on the Lin vs Wall athleticism comparison is Wall is a much better leaper and has a better first step. Speed alone doesn’t paint the whole picture.

Lets shift gears.

Deron Williams 8-13 from downtown with 36 points!

Holy crap, he’s killing it.

5 PFs though. Knicks just don’t look good. Lin gives them energy but this team needs to be scoring 95 pts a game at least if they want to be serious contenders.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
It’s the craziest thing in sports in probably the last half century. [/quote]

If you’re talking about all the hype, you might be right but off the top of my head the Kurt Warner story is a bigger story of coming out of no where to achieve greatness. Remember, KW was an undrafted free agent who came off the bench to have one of the best seasons for a quarterback ever. Ultimately winning the Super Bowl and the MVP that same year.

Of course the JL story isn’t over yet.

[quote]overstand wrote:

I know Magic Johnson never played with Kobe Bryant’s dad in Europe, but he was a pretty decent PG in the NBA (lol) and Lin has his seal of approval. Should be good enough for all of us. [/quote]

At least get it right; I played with Joe Bryant in the Pro Summer League here in Philadelphia, where all the local pros played at the time. And I’ve said elsewhere, I’ll hold my full opinion until I’ve really seen minutes from the guy. I don’t watch much pro basketball at all. And really have no plans to change that. I’m just skeptical, not a hater. Don’t get all butt hurt over it. I’m fairly sure you’re not related to Lin so don’t take it personal. I didn’t say nothin bout his mama (or yours).

So D.Will went 8-14 from 3, and 2-8 from inside the arc. What the fuck kind of backwards ass statline is that.