Navy Seal Training

Check out Sunday’s sfgate.com on Seal Training. I think this is it BUILDING ELITE FORCES FOR MILITARY OF FUTURE / Navy SEAL training pushes men to limit to prepare for ever-tougher mission

Those entry stats are weak.

The Australian Army is doing something similar where you can join the Commando’s (Not SAS) from civilian life. The thing is that if you fuck up the training you get lumped in infantry which is what I would expect from the majority of the applicants.

[quote]The Grizz wrote:
Those entry stats are weak.
[/quote]

Those are the stats they list, but no wya anybody’s making it through BUD/S without WAY better than that. The guys who actually make it easily double the pushups situps and pullups and they also run and swim much faster.

[quote]JKThreeEleven17 wrote:
Those are the stats they list, but no wya anybody’s making it through BUD/S without WAY better than that. The guys who actually make it easily double the pushups situps and pullups and they also run and swim much faster.

[/quote]

Yeah I know. The stuff that matters is the things you can’t measure, like heart and discipline.

I was in the Australian Army and the PT side of things is usually pretty easy but the battle PT is the stuff where soldiers are made.

Those stats are all it takes to get entry into teh program. Basically, as long as you’re marginally fit, then the program is built to ramp up those who are committed enough to make it.

The entry numbers are interesting to compare to some of the numbers that you need to complete:

Swim: 500 meters in 12:30 to enter
5.5 NAUTICAL mile swim to graduate

Run: 1 1/2 mile run to enter
14-mile run to graduate

Pushups: 42 pushups to make the entry
50 pushups EVERY TIME YOU make a mistake, by 3rd phase.

Pullups: 6 to enter the course
Doing sets of greater than 20, in order to
eat warm food at the Island. Pyramid
sets up to 10-15 adn back down during
workouts.

Etc, etc. Some information may be out-of-date, but you get the idea.

Bottom line, people who can BARELY make the 500M swim in 12:30 will pass the course, because they’ll work hard and never quit. Former collegiate athletes who are in great shape might not make it. You never can tell.