Navy Recruiter Lied About Deployment

[quote]orion wrote:
What OP does not realize is that recruiters have already come a long way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghaiing[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
My problem is my recruiter lied to about the whole deployment situation. [/quote]

Yes, that’s what they do. When I was shot the first time, they tried to get me to be a recruiter, but I couldn’t live with myself.

That said, my time in was very valuable to me. I was happy to serve.

Now, if we could just keep our spineless president from pissing on the graves of my fellow soldiers by essentially giving back all we fought for, I’d be really pleased.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
My problem is my recruiter lied to about the whole deployment situation. [/quote]

Yes, that’s what they do. When I was shot the first time, they tried to get me to be a recruiter, but I couldn’t live with myself.

Now, if we could just keep our spineless president from pissing on the graves of my fellow soldiers by essentially giving back all we fought for, I’d be really pleased.
[/quote]

I think he’d rather send our pension money (in the form of foreign aid) to terrorist sympathizers.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Krinks wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
I’m former Fast Frigate Navy myself.
IMO…you are just getting ‘cold feet’. Going to sea is one of the greatest experiences of my life. After the initial adjustment; it’s no big deal. In four years I made two Med. cruises, one Indian O. cruise, one North Atlantic, and eight trips through the Caribbean. 11 forgien countries; 16 different cities. Only once did we spend more than 30 consecutive days at sea, otherwise it averaged about 3 weeks.
[/quote]

*** I strongly suspect this is a recruiter as he is lying his ass off. I know that for a fact. [/quote]
How so?[/quote]

The timeline as to how much time is spent onboard ship and on duty compares to how little time off there is. For instance every other day duty, bound to ship. The day off from duty you may well be in a port. However that one day you still had to work a full 8 hour day and be back on the ship by midnight. For every two days in port 8 hours off to explore an that was it. To ignore this and pretend it was all wonderful is recruiter propaganda.

[quote]Krinks wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
Question for Military Members on this site(Navy/Marines/Army)

I got a big probelm… I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. Got a good job as an IT and i ship in March .

*** For God’s sake don’t do it, especially if you have a good job. Bow out. I knew folks that went on cruises that lasted two straight years.

We were one a six months out and six months in port in the mid 80s. During the six months in port we were on duty, meaning we couldn’t leave the ship every other day. Even during the days we weren’t on duty we still had to work a full 8 hour work day. Add that up. Stuck on the ship 9 months a year. Of the remaining 3 months, there is only 13 weekends to enjoy. The rest are work days. This was during peace time mind you. God knows how much worse it is now.

Then there is this. The USS Ronald Reagan was off the coast of Japan when Fukushima blew up. They were ordered to stay there and help even though they were downwind. Google it. Three years later a large section of the crew are dead and dying of cancer. Orders are orders even if they’re fatal. If my boss today asked me to do something questionable let alone fatal, I can tell him to fuck off. In the military you obey or go to prison.
[/quote]

** I guarantee and will put money on it that if TheDon signs up in no time he will agree with me and that felow who pretends it was all wonderful is either lying or has selective memory. The fact is that most get the hell out as early as they can for a reason.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

[/quote]

LOL it’s not even your country. SMH, maybe he’s been pulling out so no more of your fellow soldiers have to die from a 50 year old Iraqi mother willing to blow herself up in the name of jihad. There’s a reason most of the world has already withdrawn from that pointless “war.”

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

[/quote]

LOL it’s not even your country. SMH, maybe he’s been pulling out so no more of your fellow soldiers have to die from a 50 year old Iraqi mother willing to blow herself up in the name of jihad. There’s a reason most of the world has already withdrawn from that pointless “war.”

[/quote]

Ah, wisdom from the land of dwarves.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

LOL it’s not even your country.

[/quote]

No, it’s not. But it is the country of a bunch of cocksucking ragheads who killed 3,000 innocent American (and other) civilians not all that long ago.

And if New Zealand sends a bunch of cocksuckers here to do something similar we’ll send more thirdruff’s to the south Pacific to slit your throats too. So don’t LOL too much, dumbass.[/quote]

So Iraq was responsible for 911? I’m pretty sure most of the resources came from peoples in Saudi Arabia, a so called ally of the US in the Middle-East. And did you have to generalize an entire country as “cocksucking ragheads?” Having been there, yeah it’s a shit-hole but you can’t just say they’re all terrorists.

Thirdruff comment came off like he’d been fighting for US land.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

LOL it’s not even your country.

[/quote]

No, it’s not. But it is the country of a bunch of cocksucking ragheads who killed 3,000 innocent American (and other) civilians not all that long ago.

And if New Zealand sends a bunch of cocksuckers here to do something similar we’ll send more thirdruff’s to the south Pacific to slit your throats too. So don’t LOL too much, dumbass.[/quote]

Ha.

Why would we attack you Push? We’re basically the same except we co-operated with and embraced our native people instead of annihilating them.

Thirdruff comment came off like he’d been fighting for US land. [/quote]

I was: 72 Vesey Street, New York City, NY 10048

How does IT NOT transfer to civilian workforce?

It’s like the biggest most essential to virtually every business in existence in the entire fucking world with an unlimited future type of job!

IT doesn’t translate to civilian jobs because your Navy training doesn’t usually give you any certifications that the civilian world recognizes. Guess what? There are extremely few jobs (if any) which do translate straight into civilian jobs. Even Navy divers who do ship husbandry work still have to go through a commercial dive school before they can work as a civilian diver (meaning industrial, not SCUBA type stuff).

There are ways to get certifications in whatever job field you are in while you are active duty, but it might take a little extra work on your part rather than being handed to you (OH, the HORROR!!). A lot of the transition from military to civilian life also plays off of how well you write your resume describing your knowledge/skills/experiences - most recommend paying a professional resume writer to do it for you.

Krinks - this isn’t the 80s any more, we aren’t fighting the Cold War. Oddly enough, things have a tendency to change over a 30 year period. Most ships have 5+ section duty when in port, if not better. This translates to one duty day (24 hour) each week or so. Yes you still have to go to work Mon-Fri, but show me a job besides LEO/fire where you don’t. Ships will do 6-9 month deployments, but they are usually in port periodically. A friend of my wife’s is deployed right now, and has been in port 3-4 times for several days each over the last 4-5 months.

Why join the Marines or Army where when deployed, you will deploy to one place and stay there until you are sent home? On ship deployments, you will typically hit several ports over the course of it, aside from those times when you are sitting off the coast of Iraq waiting to fire missiles or enforcing UN/NATO embargoes. I spent only 3 years and 3 months on a ship at the beginning of my career, and in that time I went through the Panama Canal, visited Sydney Australia (awesome town), lived in Guam, visited Japan more times than I can remember, as well as going to Hong Kong twice and South Korea once. About 2-3 months after I got off the ship, they went to Vladivostok Russia. And this was an auxiliary ship that didn’t do deployments, we just went back and forth between Guam and Japan fixing whatever ships needed it.

Bottom line - some people love ship life, some don’t. There were things I enjoyed, there were things I hated, that is why I took a kick in the nuts to get to where I am now. Two guys here have given you both sides of that coin. But if you are this whiney and you haven’t even shipped yet, good luck. The Marines love whiners even more than the Navy does.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
IT doesn’t translate to civilian jobs because your Navy training doesn’t usually give you any certifications that the civilian world recognizes. Guess what? There are extremely few jobs (if any) which do translate straight into civilian jobs. Even Navy divers who do ship husbandry work still have to go through a commercial dive school before they can work as a civilian diver (meaning industrial, not SCUBA type stuff).

[/quote]

I guess it depends on how you work it. One of my brothers was a career guy now retired and works in IT. Based mainly on the fact that he’s familiar with the experience they have he snatches up former navy guys as first priority. Then they can get the professional certs and paid for it.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
Question for Military Members on this site(Navy/Marines/Army)

I got a big probelm… I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. Got a good job as an IT and i ship in March . My problem is my recruiter lied to about the whole deployment situation. He told me i’d only be out at sea without visiting a port at most for 3 weeks and that we also get days off on the ship.

Well now after some of my own research i found out that this is also BS. Sometimes u dont see land for 6 weeks and deployments. another thing i also found that my rate isn’t all that good for transferring to civilian world after im done with the Navy.[/quote]

I was in the NAVY for 6 years. I served on board 2 separate ships. In my experience we would go anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks before pulling into some port or anchoring off the coast. Typically when you pulled into places it was some shit hole. The only thing to do was get fucking smashed and if you were luck get into fights with squids from other ships.

If you were really luck you’d get to fight with the Marines or Jar heads. I say that affectionately guys so don’t get sand in your vaj for me calling you names. lol well, that was “the good ol days” pretty much since 99’ when a ship deploys he goes straight to the fucking Persian Gulf. What a shit hole. The Persian Gulf and surrounding countries really is the asshole of the Earth. The days of “seeing the orld” are long over with.

I say all this to say that you should have done your homework BEFORE you signed up. You know that now and I’m not monday morning quarterbacking you but what the fuck man. The NAVY goes to sea. It’s not a fucking yacht club. If you want short trips at sea, go in the Coast Guard. I hope all this works out for you.

joined the navy not wanting to be at sea. Great idea.

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. [/quote]

So…is everything all straight then?

Here’s a suggestion…sit down, shut the fuck up and do what you’re told to do. As a matter of fact, do what you’re told to do with enthusiasm.

Quit being a whiney fuck and maybe you will get your life straightened out and have a successful career with the Navy that leads to a good future. My guess is you’re too much of a special snow-flake to manage this and you’ll end up working in some lousy retail store managing a bunch of other fuck-ups, but hey…prove me wrong okay?[/quote]
… dad??