Navy Recruiter Lied About Deployment

Question for Military Members on this site(Navy/Marines/Army)

I got a big probelm… I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. Got a good job as an IT and i ship in March . My problem is my recruiter lied to about the whole deployment situation. He told me i’d only be out at sea without visiting a port at most for 3 weeks and that we also get days off on the ship.

Well now after some of my own research i found out that this is also BS. Sometimes u dont see land for 6 weeks and deployments. another thing i also found that my rate isn’t all that good for transferring to civilian world after im done with the Navy.

I was thinking of DEP’n out and joining the Army/Marines instead . I know they still deploy and its not “fun” either but atleast i won’t be out at sea for 6+ months . Don’t know how guys can do that… Any thoughts?

Also any recommendations on what MOS I should go for in the Army/Marines if i leave the navy (want something to transfer to civilian world) . Thanks in advance.

Start here: Delayed Entry Program Discharge (DEP Discharge): Fact Sheet ❮ Resources ❮ GI Rights Hotline: Military Discharges and Military Counseling

Be advised: your recruiter will fuck with you. He will try to resell the Navy to you, perhaps try to guilt you with “commitment to our mission” or “service”. (It is, after all, his job.) Be prepared for this to go up his chain of command; you might even have a chief up your ass trying to change your mind. (I’ve heard horror stories of DivOs and COs trying to keep kids in, but hopefully they have more important things to do.) Just stick to your guns: if you want out, you want out, and they can’t force you to join otherwise. Good luck.

If you don’t want to be on a boat why join the Navy?

Any so-called REMF job will have some transfer.

I’m sorry I cannot be of more help regarding MOS in other service branches, but come on man… “Recruiter lied”. Yeah no shit lol; that’s like their job. And I am confused as to why you joined the navy if you have an aversion to extended periods at sea.

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m sorry I cannot be of more help regarding MOS in other service branches, but come on man… “Recruiter lied”. Yeah no shit lol; that’s like their job. And I am confused as to why you joined the navy if you have an aversion to extended periods at sea.[/quote]

Yeah i know i kinda fucked up… I wouldnt have mind if i saw a port every 2 weeks but yeah…

[quote]csulli wrote:
And I am confused as to why you joined the navy if you have an aversion to extended periods at sea.[/quote]

Same reason you join the parachute regimen if you can’t jump. Or… the cavalry if you don’t like horses.

You know, one of these days, people are going to join the Navy because they want to fly airplanes.

No way a recruiter lied to you, that’s never happened before.

Recruiters lie, that’s how it goes.

That is no guarantee that you’ll be out to see for 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months? Who knows, it all depends on where you go.

I know that people join the military for differing reasons but just realize this: you are joining a job/career who’s sole purpose is protecting this country AKA going to war. If you aren’t ok with going to war or deploying then get a different job. Doesn’t matter if you’re an IT guy, cook, infantry, mechanic or SF. You’re part of a war fighting organization and by signing up you are dedicating yourself to protect the American public.

Just keep that in mind when you decide if the military is for you.

I’m not sure if you’ve completely thought this thing through but changing possibly 6 weeks out at sea between ports for a year of sitting in Iraq/Afghanistan living in a tent while in the marines/army might not be the great trade you think it is.

Good luck OP

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. [/quote]

So…is everything all straight then?

Here’s a suggestion…sit down, shut the fuck up and do what you’re told to do. As a matter of fact, do what you’re told to do with enthusiasm.

Quit being a whiney fuck and maybe you will get your life straightened out and have a successful career with the Navy that leads to a good future. My guess is you’re too much of a special snow-flake to manage this and you’ll end up working in some lousy retail store managing a bunch of other fuck-ups, but hey…prove me wrong okay?

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

I got a big probelm… I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. Got a good job as an IT and i ship in March . My problem is my recruiter lied to about the whole deployment situation. He told me i’d only be out at sea without visiting a port at most for 3 weeks and that we also get days off on the ship.
[/quote]

3 Weeks, which branch did you join? Oh the Navy. I hope you like the ocean!

It can be longer than 6 weeks.

Like almost everyone other enlistee.

I would personally hate being at sea. That said, it’s not a bad deployment compared to some and to progress in the Navy you need time on ship.

Obviously I like the Marine Corps the best. The fact is a deployment is a deployment whether on ship or land. You will see way more places in the Navy. I don’t know of any deployments in the Corps less than 7 months and it’s to one place not multiple ports.

[quote]
Also any recommendations on what MOS I should go for in the Army/Marines if i leave the navy (want something to transfer to civilian world) . Thanks in advance.[/quote]

If you don’t think IT (whatever that actually means) will help you land a job in the civilian world nothing else will that I’m aware of.

The military gives you a good start on your resume and some skills you won’t learn else where. Coupled with a college degree you can do nicely, but it’s a process. You aren’t going to join any branch and puff be in your dream job. It isn’t likely to happen.

You also better understand one thing. You’re making a 4 year commitment that you do not want to break.

Also recruiters lie, welcome to the club. I was told there was a Marine Corps baseball team I could try out for, lol…

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m sorry I cannot be of more help regarding MOS in other service branches, but come on man… “Recruiter lied”. Yeah no shit lol; that’s like their job. [/quote]

In his defense, when you’re young the thought doesn’t even cross your mind. Most people just aren’t cynical enough at 18 or so to catch it.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

I got a big probelm… I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. Got a good job as an IT and i ship in March .

*** For God’s sake don’t do it, especially if you have a good job. Bow out. I knew folks that went on cruises that lasted two straight years.

We were one a six months out and six months in port in the mid 80s. During the six months in port we were on duty, meaning we couldn’t leave the ship every other day. Even during the days we weren’t on duty we still had to work a full 8 hour work day. Add that up. Stuck on the ship 9 months a year. Of the remaining 3 months, there is only 13 weekends to enjoy. The rest are work days. This was during peace time mind you. God knows how much worse it is now.

Then there is this. The USS Ronald Reagan was off the coast of Japan when Fukushima blew up. They were ordered to stay there and help even though they were downwind. Google it. Three years later a large section of the crew are dead and dying of cancer. Orders are orders even if they’re fatal. If my boss today asked me to do something questionable let alone fatal, I can tell him to fuck off. In the military you obey or go to prison.

I’m former Fast Frigate Navy myself.
IMO…you are just getting ‘cold feet’. Going to sea is one of the greatest experiences of my life. After the initial adjustment; it’s no big deal. In four years I made two Med. cruises, one Indian O. cruise, one North Atlantic, and eight trips through the Caribbean. 11 forgien countries; 16 different cities. Only once did we spend more than 30 consecutive days at sea, otherwise it averaged about 3 weeks. You will make friends and memories that last a lifetime. Nothing is the equivalent of life at sea. It did me a world of good. We usually had Sundays off at sea after morning ‘sweepers/field day’.

[quote]Krinks wrote:

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:

I got a big probelm… I enlisted to join the Navy to help straighten out my life. Got a good job as an IT and i ship in March .

*** Retracting Your Enlistment

When entering the military’s delayed entry program, you swear an initial enlistment oath and sign a DEP contract. It’s the policy of the Department of Defense, though, that anyone can request a release from their DEP enlistment contract. If you want to back out of your DEP agreement, inform your recruiter and write a letter requesting release to the commander of the recruiting district in which you enlisted. When asking for a release from the DEP, make it clear nothing will change your mind.

Entry-Level Separations

You can strengthen the letter you write requesting release from your DEP contract by providing a good reason for doing so, such as a desire to attend college. Send your letter requesting release from your DEP obligation via registered mail, return receipt requested. Once you’re released from the DEP, you’ll receive what’s called an entry-level separation. Entry-level separations are purely administrative in nature, and one for retraction of a DEP enlistment obligation would be neither a dishonorable nor an honorable discharge.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
IMO…you are just getting ‘cold feet’. Going to sea is one of the greatest experiences of my life. After the initial adjustment; it’s no big deal. In four years I made two Med. cruises, one Indian O. cruise, one North Atlantic, and eight trips through the Caribbean. 11 forgien countries; 16 different cities. Only once did we spend more than 30 consecutive days at sea, otherwise it averaged about 3 weeks.

*** I strongly suspect this is a recruiter as he is lying his ass off. I know that for a fact.

BlueCollar, you’re a recruiter???

[quote]Krinks wrote:

IMO…you are just getting ‘cold feet’. Going to sea is one of the greatest experiences of my life. After the initial adjustment; it’s no big deal. In four years I made two Med. cruises, one Indian O. cruise, one North Atlantic, and eight trips through the Caribbean. 11 forgien countries; 16 different cities. Only once did we spend more than 30 consecutive days at sea, otherwise it averaged about 3 weeks.
[/quote]

*** I strongly suspect this is a recruiter as he is lying his ass off. I know that for a fact. [/quote]
How so?

[quote]Krinks wrote:

*** I strongly suspect this is a recruiter as he is lying his ass off. I know that for a fact. [/quote]

You have you’re facts fucked; LOL, I am not a recruiter…I was Honorably discharged in July of 1985. My experience was as described.

What OP does not realize is that recruiters have already come a long way.