Navy and Tattoos

I am a bit confused with the whole navy policy on tattoos…Wondering if anyone can clear it up?Now i have a huge chest piece that covers both my pecs completly and goes from from my left chest all the way to the right side of my arm going down about 6 inches. I also have a palm sized tattoo on my left forearm. My question is can this be allowed or does it have to be waviered? My chest piece can not be seen with a crew neck but can be seen with a vneck… Is it still cosidered the neck since its right under the collarbone?

Current Navy tattoo policy (as of '06) is thus: anything which can be covered by a PT uniform - shorts and crew neck t-shirt - is allowed. No gang or drug tats, no hate stuff. Anything visible on arms in short sleeve uniform (or t-shirt) must be the size of the person’s hand with fingers extended and joined and no bigger. You can have up to two of these per arm, but they must be separate pieces. Don’t know if sleeves can be waived for entry, but once you are in it is CO’s discretion for you to get one - run a chit, and he can say yes or no.

Short answer, your tattoos should be no issue.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
Current Navy tattoo policy (as of '06) is thus: anything which can be covered by a PT uniform - shorts and crew neck t-shirt - is allowed. No gang or drug tats, no hate stuff. Anything visible on arms in short sleeve uniform (or t-shirt) must be the size of the person’s hand with fingers extended and joined and no bigger. You can have up to two of these per arm, but they must be separate pieces. Don’t know if sleeves can be waived for entry, but once you are in it is CO’s discretion for you to get one - run a chit, and he can say yes or no.

Short answer, your tattoos should be no issue.[/quote]

Thank you boat guy…Reason i asked was because i read nothing seen with crew neck and OPEN COLLAR…My tats cannot be seen with crew neck but can with open collar.

Skivvy shirt has to be worn under uniforms anyway, so the crew neck would cover your tat in any UOD.

[quote]cjbuhagr wrote:

Skivvy shirt has to be worn under uniforms anyway, so the crew neck would cover your tat in any UOD. [/quote]

Thats what i thought but the way they worded it confused me…I looked all over for the answer…thank you!!!:slight_smile:

My understanding of the Navy’s policy is that it requires an anchor on every forearm; a battleship on every chest; and a mermaid with big tits on every shoulder. Davy Jones tat on whole back is optional. You can apply for a waiver, but these are usually considered the bare minimum requirements.

[quote]motherofpearl2 wrote:

[quote]cjbuhagr wrote:

Skivvy shirt has to be worn under uniforms anyway, so the crew neck would cover your tat in any UOD. [/quote]

Thats what i thought but the way they worded it confused me…I looked all over for the answer…thank you!!!:slight_smile:
[/quote]

Being told contradictory things by different sources…welcome to the world’s finest Navy!

[quote]cjbuhagr wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
My understanding of the Navy’s policy is that it requires an anchor on every forearm; a battleship on every chest; and a mermaid with big tits on every shoulder. Davy Jones tat on whole back is optional. You can apply for a waiver, but these are usually considered the bare minimum requirements. [/quote]

And a rooster and pig on your ankles to protect against drowning. Cock on the right, never lose a fight. Good solid advice here.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
My understanding of the Navy’s policy is that it requires an anchor on every forearm; a battleship on every chest; and a mermaid with big tits on every shoulder. Davy Jones tat on whole back is optional. You can apply for a waiver, but these are usually considered the bare minimum requirements. [/quote]

And a rooster and pig on your ankles to protect against drowning. Cock on the right, never lose a fight. Good solid advice here.[/quote]
I thought it was the top of the foot?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

And a rooster and pig on your ankles to protect against drowning. Cock on the right, never lose a fight. Good solid advice here.[/quote]
I thought it was the top of the foot? [/quote]

I’ve read about both locations, top of the foot or ankle. So take your pick.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

I’ve read about both locations, top of the foot or ankle. So take your pick.[/quote]
I have a few XNavy guys who work for me, they are the ones that told me that.

Top of the foot would fucking hurt.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

I’ve read about both locations, top of the foot or ankle. So take your pick.[/quote]
I have a few XNavy guys who work for me, they are the ones that told me that.

Top of the foot would fucking hurt. [/quote]

I have a tattoo on the top of one foot, it really wasn’t that bad.

Did some research… the tattoos could be on the calves, ankles, feet even the knee. “A pig on the knee, safety at sea.”.