Nautilus Duo Squat vs Power Plus Leg Press

I’ve been searching for a Nautilus duo squat for some time now as I really want to incorporate more unilateral movements into my leg routine. I’m 47 years old, and my lower back is getting increasingly more cranky as I age. When I squat, I use a safety squat bar. Even with that, I need to mix in other movements when the lumbar is giving me fits. So, I want to supplement with some controlled unilateral movements where I can really bang out some high reps. I’m not thinking 30-10-30 necessarily, but higher rep sets that I can really focus on the eccentrics. In lieu of a duo squat, I’m curious your thoughts on a power plus leg press? While waiting for a duo squat, one the these PP leg press machine popped up for sale. Again, I like the unilateral capabilities of this machine, and am curious if it is at least equal or superior to what the duo squat would provide? I have a mixture of Gen I / II and Next Gen machines currently, but have no experience with the Power Plus line at all.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have used the Duo-Squat extensively in the past and we had a Power Plus Leg Press in our wt room for years. I would NOT call it the equal of the Duo Squat in terms of strength curve or in range of motion. That said, the PP leg press is a very good piece in my opinion. You can use it unilaterally, or both legs together with the foot pedals locked or unlocked bilaterally. You can also do calf raise toe presses on it safely. The strength curve on the PP is pretty good, but does not ramp up toward full extension like the DSQ does. The back pad angle on the PP adjusts to 5 different angles.

However, you can only really use the top three angles from highest to lowest. Any lower than #3 and you cannot keep your ass in the seat. I tried to use it on 4 or 5 and trying to hold your butt down in the seat is nearly impossible. #5 would be close to the same angle as the DS. I never tried putting a seat belt restraint on it. I always thought if it had adjustable shoulder pads like an Avenger Leg Press has, it would be an outstanding machine.

In conclusion, I don’t think the PP works as much total muscle mass as the DSQ. But, the PP is a very good machine with some nice features. The Houston Texans and Baltimore Ravens had the PP in their Wt rooms in past years. The PP is a little more versatile, and surely a lot less expensive than the DSQ. I’d get the PP. Hope that helps.

Scott

1 Like

What I’m about to write may cause controversy but I’m stating an opinion as to what has worked best for me: through the years i have used many different leg press machines from the top names and makers of workout equipment…body weight squats and sissy squats (either holding barbell plate or dumbbell or no weights) has delivered far more superior results for me than what any leg press machine has…also leg press machines are hard on my back whereas the free hand bodyweight squats and sissy squats don’t hurt my back as leg press machines do

bobfloyd, could you expand on your bodyweight squat routine? Not much resistance,I assume you are using high rep/volume. Also have you tried split squats?

It’s only one set of the above named exercises but properly performed it will be plenty and yes each exercise will be high reps

I never benefitted from split squats but to each their own

A good thigh routine:
1 set of body weight squats to failure
after about 1 minute rest followed by

1 set of leg extensions followed with

1 set sissy squats

Question: How many bodyweight squats equals failure? In my case I would probably been doing at least 100 squats then. I often use bodyweight squats for light warmup.

If we add dumbbell squats to the equation - you certainly have a different outcome (less reps, especially performing 30-10-30).

That said, I really like your routine!