Nautilus and Other Machines Discussion

Yeah.

If I’m a gym owner and I’m looking at either That or a wall mounted bar/frame that costs about 1/100 of that and doesn’t require a pilots license, guess which one I’m getting?

But walk into most any gym and there’s tons of crazy looking articulated machines with stacks of 50 pound plates on them and those machines were not cheap and many of them are terrible.
Scott

Best machine I ever used that was plate loaded was the Nautilus pullover machine. Only found one at an old-school gym I used to attend thought. The only somewhat modern equivalent I have found is a Hammer Strength version of the pullover.

@The_Mighty_Stu I love cable machines too. The constant tension always makes it feel like I have more fully exhausted a muscle. Cable biceps curls level with my shoulders are one of my favorites and doesn’t aggravate the elbows like a straight bar for me.

1 Like

My gym has a few. The tricep extension one is really good, if you do a set focusing on the end range (resistance at contraction) and then switch the weight so it loads during the stretch. I think they’re a great idea - resistance curves for the win. So many great exercises have shitty resistance curves. I’d love to see one for lateral Raises, heavy at the bottom but light at the top.

1 Like

== Scott==
Theoretically that’s what a Nautilus lateral machine was supposed to do but none I’ve ever tried have it harder at the bottom and easier at the top. Mine feels too easy at the bottom. I think the early Nautilus thinking was to make the cam curve more aggressive at the top and less at the bottom?

World gym in florida in the 80s had a donkey calf machine…it was blue, so I am assuming it was nautilus…but I can’t remember for the life of me, it was a great machine for calves

I’ve been doing partial upright rows with dumbbells, Charles Glass style, to overload the bottom of the delt raise. Elbows out, thinking Wide, pulling till the dumbbells are like lower chest level. It feels more like a lateral raise with bent elbows than a “row.”

And regular DB raises or lean away raises to hit the Top a little more.

Not as cool as 1 perfect move but fun anyway.

Not sure why. I was pretty clear the other day what types of threads do and don’t belong in that forum section.

… is not what the Ellington Darden Coaching forum is for.

Yup, will be. Again though, if there’s someone in particular you want to chime in, using the @ will alert them to this specific thread.

@danphunter had a pretty recent thread asking about both of these machines - Multi Biceps Machine Same as Compound Bi?

He might want to chip in his two cents here.

In terms of absolute favorite machines, the Hammer Strength DY Row is one of the pieces I genuinely want to get for my next home gym. The semi-supinated grip and pulling angle (with the hand coming to a little above the hip at peak contraction) are a perfect combo.

1 Like

== Scott==
No the multi bicep and tricep are not the same machine as the compounds. I used to look down on the multi bicep and tricep but now I look favorably on them.
Scott

I looked around quite a bit before pulling the trigger on my functional trainer purchase. My neighbor spent twice what I did and it appears for no benefit other than having it assembled for him. I suppose if you do to footwork (research and setup), you can get a decent unit for a reasonable amount.

S

If you have a cable crossover machine that can pull from the bottom, you have just that. I used that as my go-to delt specialty exercise.

You get on your knees. Then grab the left cable with your right hand and the right cable with your left hand. When you resume an upright position your arms will be crossed in front of your body. As you raise your arms make sure the handles don’t touch as your arms uncross. The weight stack will be moving the most at the lower position and slowly decrease as you reach the end of the movement at about your ears, or so. Hence greatest resistance at the bottom and decreasing resistance as you approach the top.

2 Likes

Sorry I thought this was going to Danhunter? I’m not good at this stuff.
Scott

Having just used my Nautilus multi bicep an hour ago I can see one thing that would have been a nice addition would have been grips that revolve with the rotation of the wrist.
Scott

Does anyone like Roger Schwab or Kim Wood or any old time Nautilus people who know the Nautilus BNTA and how to use it properly frequent this site? I hear it’s a great machine if used properly but I doubt I’m using it correctly? I can find very little literature on how to use it correctly.
Thanks
Scott

1 Like

Anyone ever use the “Nautilus 4-Way Neck Machine”. There is one near me selling for much cheaper than it goes for online.

1 Like

I used to do behind the head curls at a traditional lat pulldown machine, using a short handle. I took the idea from Larry Scott, who was doing it long before expensive Nautilus machines were around. Great movement if you understand what you’re trying to do.

S

is that an old nautilus and if so how much?

I believe Meadows gym has machines that are similar, different spots to load weight to change where in the ROM it’s heaviest/lightest. He talked very highly of them, or who ever did if it wasn’t John lol

I’ve seen that video of Larry Scott doing that pulldown on a lat machine to a spot near his ears . He had some interesting and odd curls he’d perform.
Scott

yep 90s style Hammer machines I would say are still the gold standard.
I trained hard in a gym with one for just one summer in college. No clue what I was doing, form programming etc just grip and rip …back totally blew up.

I presume Hammer are like the grandkids/80% same to Nautilus?

1 Like