Nausea While Lifting

Every time I hit the weights hard I end up getting nauseous about halfway through and I can’t eat for at least a couple hours after I lift. I have tried varying up my workout times by lifting in the morning on a pre-workout shake and nothing else, I’ve worked out in the afternoon three hours after lunch, ultimately with the same result.

Does anyone else have this issue, and if so have you found any way to resolve it?
Thanks,
J

What are your meals/drinks like pre and peri?

I’ve been lifting for 9 years so its varied greatly as I have tried many varying approaches to my training and meals/drinks surrounding it

Currently, before I lift I put in a 20oz Powerade with a scoop of whey. After lifting I will do the same along with some creatine or use a weight gain powder/whey shake combo.

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
Currently, before I lift I put in a 20oz Powerade with a scoop of whey. After lifting I will do the same along with some creatine or use a weight gain powder/whey shake combo.[/quote]

Twenty ounces of high-fructose rich Powerade would make me feel nauseous no matter when I drank it. I can’t imagine adding whey to it would make it any better as far as this is concerned, either.

Have you tried training without this? I know you want to fuel your workout, but it would be good to isolate the source of your problem.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Jay-B wrote:
Currently, before I lift I put in a 20oz Powerade with a scoop of whey. After lifting I will do the same along with some creatine or use a weight gain powder/whey shake combo.

Twenty ounces of high-fructose rich Powerade would make me feel nauseous no matter when I drank it. I can’t imagine adding whey to it would make it any better as far as this is concerned, either.

Have you tried training without this? I know you want to fuel your workout, but it would be good to isolate the source of your problem.[/quote]

I’ve tried training without it as well. Even if I drink water I get nauseous.

I only get nauseous during drop sets or other variations of sets to failure (high or low weight) … I view this to be normal and do my best to take deep breaths and suck it up … what is your version of “hitting the weights hard”?

20 rep squats, drop sets, supersets

Lol, you might want to go to the doctor and get a test for worms. Unfortunately, I am not kidding.

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
20 rep squats, drop sets, supersets[/quote]

I don’t know what your drop or supersets are like, but 20 rep squats will get anybody nauseous. Sounds like you’re just working really hard. You say you’ve been training for 9 years. Has it always been like this?

I am a hard worker by nature so if I go lift I bring a lot of intensity.

I mean have you gotten nauseous?

I’d say probably just the last couple years

Whenever I have this feeling, the first two problems seem to be going hypo or overtraining.

My advice is either cram some food down your gullet immediately after, not matter how sick you feel. The other option might be to cut down your workouts a little bit, or give yourself more rest in between workouts.

Thank you for the insightful advice Schmazz. And excellent use of the word gullet as well. I use it all the time around the house to get a laugh out of my wife (usually with limited success).
Cheers,
J

I feel nauseous when I train earlier in the day. I put it down to the amount of food I have eaten prior to training. Thus, maybe you should consider training later in the day (night), or eating more food earlier in the day.

Excess lactic acid can make you feel nauseous.

How different we all are. I have my best squat workouts 1 hour after having soup, rice, beef and milk. However I never train 30 min after getting anything inside my stomach.

I usually mix 1 litre of water with some whey and that’s it. After my training I have another meal.

Sometimes squats followed by deadlifts make me naseous, but only for a few minutes if I take a break and let my stomach settle.

I hate to say it, but maybe you could try reducing intensity?

[quote]Jay-B wrote:
Currently, before I lift I put in a 20oz Powerade with a scoop of whey. After lifting I will do the same along with some creatine or use a weight gain powder/whey shake combo.[/quote]

Try taking some BCAA’s (if you take them) and a SMALL amount of carbs (100-200 calories) example: 2 bananas, about 10-20 minutes before you work out. I use to have the same problem you described. It was from eating to much of the wrong thing before I worked out. That pre-lifting whey may be screwing you up.

IMO which may or may not be completely wrong, having a large amount of protein floating around in your system during a workout isn’t helpful or necessary. I understand that some helps prevent catabolism, hence why things like Surge help workouts a lot. The protein is mostly there to build muscle, and as its been said you don’t build your muscles while you lift.