T Nation

Nausea in Morning?

and, no I’m not pregnant…

Every morning I am nauseous as hell.

This is what I am eating.

2 HOT-ROX as soon as I wake at 7am.

About 10 minutes later:
1 cup of oatmeal
2 scoops of ON whey protein in 12 oz of water
2 flax seed oil caps

After eating I feel like I’m going throw up. It lasts about 3 hours until I have another protein shake at 10am. Then I am fine.

Any ideas what is causing this?

1.) Check the ingrediants in the foods, and make sure you have no food allergies.

2.) Drink alot of water with the HOT-ROX, ALOT.

If that doesn’t work, check with your doc.

I drink about 16oz of water with the HOT-ROX as soon as I wake. The about a half gallon over the next few hours.

I might go off the HOT-ROX for a few weeks to see if it helps.

I look at these huge breakfasts that people post and think, “how the hell do they keep 12 egg whites, a bowl of oatmeal, and a hand full of pills down”

:slight_smile:

First, stop the HOT-ROX for a few days and eat regular breakfast, and see if the nausea persists. If it does, then go back to HOT-ROX if you want, but I would actually recommend not taking anything like that if your feeling nauseous. Before you start the HOT-ROX again, ask your regular doctor what the problem could be, and try a different protein powder in the morning. Some people just can’t eat big breakfasts.
I won’t continue as some questions need to be answered.
Is the 2nd shake you have the same kind of protein powder as the 1st, and are you sure you feel nausea only in the morning?
Do you get nauseas with any other food?
If you are sure it is not the protein powder getting you nauseous, and you stopped the HOT-ROX to see how you feel, and still get nauseas, it could just be big breakfasts. If that’s the case, see the doctor anyways and see what he/she has to say.

Did you start with the minimum dose of HOT-ROX first to assess tolerance? Trying cutting back to one cap per dose or eat first and then take your dose. HOT-ROX is absorbed better on an empty stomach. However, if one has a sensitive tolerance taking with or after a meal can alleviate any nauseous feelings.

Good luck,

D

“Is the 2nd shake you have the same kind of protein powder as the 1st, and are you sure you feel nausea only in the morning?”

Yes, it is two scoops of Optimum Nutrition Whey. One at 7:10am and another at 10:00 or 10:30. I have tried other brands like Metabolic Drive, the generic Sam’s club brand, and it has not helped.

“Do you get nauseas with any other food?”

It seems pretty much anything makes me sick in the morning.

“If you are sure it is not the protein powder getting you nauseous, and you stopped the HOT-ROX to see how you feel, and still get nauseas, it could just be big breakfasts.”

I went years without eating breakfast because I would feel sick. But, I would be starving come lunch time and would over eat.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Did you start with the minimum dose of HOT-ROX first to assess tolerance? Trying cutting back to one cap per dose or eat first and then take your dose. HOT-ROX is absorbed better on an empty stomach. However, if one has a sensitive tolerance taking with or after a meal can alleviate any nauseous feelings.

Good luck,

D[/quote]

I’ve been taking HOT-ROX for a long time. I started with one cap and built up to two caps twice a day. When i take it at 1pm I don’t get sick, but I have food in my gut…

[quote]Matt- wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
Did you start with the minimum dose of HOT-ROX first to assess tolerance? Trying cutting back to one cap per dose or eat first and then take your dose. HOT-ROX is absorbed better on an empty stomach. However, if one has a sensitive tolerance taking with or after a meal can alleviate any nauseous feelings.

Good luck,

D

I’ve been taking HOT-ROX for a long time. I started with one cap and built up to two caps twice a day. When i take it at 1pm I don’t get sick, but I have food in my gut…[/quote]

Matt, I puke when I take pills before eating. Eat first, or stop taking the pills and for a few days to see if that’s the problem.

I used to get that way when taking HOT-ROX as well. Seems like first thing in the AM i’d have too much acid in the stomach and that was the issue- can you switch the oats and ingestion of the HOT-ROX?

[quote]advanracing62 wrote:
I used to get that way when taking HOT-ROX as well. Seems like first thing in the AM i’d have too much acid in the stomach and that was the issue- can you switch the oats and ingestion of the HOT-ROX?[/quote]

I’m going to just eat the oatmeal at 7am and wait till I get to work at 8:30am to drink the protein and take the flax seed oil. Cut out the HOT-ROX for a few weeks to see what happens.

[quote]Matt- wrote:
I’m going to just eat the oatmeal at 7am and wait till I get to work at 8:30am to drink the protein and take the flax seed oil. Cut out the HOT-ROX for a few weeks to see what happens.[/quote]

You’ve said yourself it’s not the Hox-Rox, but just food in general. Try eating a lot more before you go to bed so you don’t wake up with an empty stomach. It could be you wake up with such an empty stomach that just about anything will cause the symptoms you are having.

I have a sensitive stomach and taking Hot-Rox in the morning on empty stomach (as recommended) makes me feel vomitous.

My guess is it is the Hot-Rox on empty stomach in the morning. I bet you will be fine if you take it later in the day when your stomach is empty.

I dont know about you, but my stomach is super empty in the morning first thing.

i had the same problem for a while until i saw a doctor… apparantly my nausea was due to acid reflux, and after a night’s sleep the acid buildup was making me sick.

after taking nexium for a few weeks, the problem subsided. i still feel nauseous, but i do feel infinitely better.

I’m currently doing the V-diet, and if do HOT-ROX and my multi-vitamin with my first shake, I feel like I’m going to hurl…

I think its the multi that does it to me though… as long as I take it with my second shake I’m fine…

Ok, I stopped the HOT-ROX and other pills and only have a two scoop shake for breakfast at 7am. Drink some coffee on the way to work and have another shake at 10am with a cup of cooked oatmeal.

I don’t feel as sick anymore. Tomorrow I might have the flax seed oil with the first shake to see what happens.

Is there any reason why you’re taking the oil rather than milled flax? I heard that milled flax is supposed to be a lot better for your digestive system, due to the fibre provided by the seed husks.

Because milled flax tastes like crap and gets stuck in my mouth for hours.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Matt- wrote:
Because milled flax tastes like crap and gets stuck in my mouth for hours.

:)[/quote]

Really, I haven’t had that problem with the flax-meal. I’m not sure but I think it might be ground more. It’s from Bob’s Red Mill.

[quote]Matt- wrote:
Because milled flax tastes like crap and gets stuck in my mouth for hours.

:)[/quote]

Are you eating it blunt or putting it in your shake?

I can see what you’re saying if its the former, but mixed into a shake it just makes the whole thing a bit thicker and doesn’t really have much of a taste.

I buy whole flax seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder until they make a coarse powder, if that helps.