Natural Virucidals?

Zinc seems to be pretty important in controlling several viruses. Add in a zinc ionophore, like EGCG (green tea), quercitin (an isoflavone), or a chloroquinone, and you have what appears to be a pretty potent combination. Here are two studies, but you can follow these to many more.

“In vitro experiments demonstrate that Zn2+ possesses antiviral activity through inhibition of SARS‑CoV RNA polymerase. This effect may underlie therapeutic efficiency of chloroquine known to act as zinc ionophore.”

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47794995_Zn_Inhibits_Coronavirus_and_Arterivirus_RNA_Polymerase_Activity_In_Vitro_and_Zinc_Ionophores_Block_the_Replication_of_These_Viruses_in_Cell_Culture

1 Like

I bought an essential oil mix containing lemon, myrrh, peppermint, black pepper, cypress, geranium, cypress, ravensara and tea tree oils. I ordered it from Dreaming Earth Botanicals last fall. I put a drop or two on a cotton pad and set it next to the air inlet on my CPAP machine every night starting back in December. Twice I felt something flu-like come on, but both times the symptoms were gone in a couple hours. Yes, hours, not days. YMMV.

@spiceweasel
From the first Pub Med study:

the other hand in humans after a dose of 2 g curcumin alone, serum levels were either undetectable or very low. Concomitant administration of piperine 20 mg produced much higher concentrations from 0.25 to 1 h post drug (P < 0.01 at 0.25 and 0.5 h; P < 0.01 at 1 h), the increase in bioavailability was 2000%.

So serum levels were a whopping .01!! Maximum concentration, (after the 2000% increase in absorption). They don’t say what unit of measure was used [ug/ml I’m guessing] but that cannot be a physiologically significant dose. At least that’s what I draw from it.

@yorik
That’s helpful, thank you, especially since turmeric still appears less than useful. It’s a lot of (new) information and is making my head spin.
Wish I paid closer attention in chemistry.

Yes they do.

You’re overfocusing on a fragment of research and not looking at the bigger picture. Just because .18 is a “small” number doesn’t equate to insignificant or ineffective. A bunch of studies show curcumin is effective - some of those studies are covered in the other two links I posted earlier.

Add both raw honey and coconut to the list of antiviral-containing food sources

And the less processed, the better (goes without saying)

1 Like

Yes, forgot to add that, too, as I’ve been using manuka honey.

It is killer for topical. It works great for burns. I had second and third degree burns to half of ny face and most of my right arm. I would have to tell you that for you to know if you were looking at it in person. That stuff did magic.

1 Like