Natural Remedy for ADD

I let a buddy of mine try my Power Drive and AlphaGPC so he could ween off of pre workout stimulants and he loved them both.

Anyway he mentioned that his 14 yr old son has ADD and has been taking focalin. They’ve discontinued giving it to him and have been trying natural remedies (not sure what they are) but he asked me if the Power Drive or the Alpha GPC would work.

I also thought of Brain Candy. Does anyone know if any of these supplements would work or if they could potentially be harmful?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bump for Chris Shugart

Try feeding him a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks, there is a lot of evidence to show medication is not needed after adaption.

I am ADD, not bad, but definitely ADD. Took some meds through college to help study around they work but not something for long term use. I find (now 34) that making myself read frequently (something anyone with ADD hates) actually helps “train” your brain like a muscle. Not a fail safe cure but it does work and in hindsight I wish I had been forced to read more as a kid and make myself better.

The meds do work and I would not want to get bad grades in college avoiding it but no one ever tried to get me to work through it just medicate.

[quote]james20809 wrote:
Try feeding him a ketogenic diet for 4 weeks, there is a lot of evidence to show medication is not needed after adaption.[/quote]

Yes and keto diets have also been shown to improve epilepsy.
I believe that the best explanation for this phenomenon is not the switch to ketones, but infact the shift in the microbiota of the large intestine.

A reduction in carbohydrates and increase in fat has been shown to change the relative proportions of gut bacteria (Bacteroides spp., for example).

That information coupled with the literature on the gut-brain-skin axis, makes me believe that this is the mechanism via which neurological conditions can be improved by diet change.

There are some journal entries regarding Autism and depression in this context. Probably many others if you search for them.

In any case, give keto a go.

[quote]as wrote:
I let a buddy of mine try my Power Drive and AlphaGPC so he could ween off of pre workout stimulants and he loved them both.

Anyway he mentioned that his 14 yr old son has ADD and has been taking focalin. They’ve discontinued giving it to him and have been trying natural remedies (not sure what they are) but he asked me if the Power Drive or the Alpha GPC would work.

I also thought of Brain Candy. Does anyone know if any of these supplements would work or if they could potentially be harmful?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
[/quote]

The nootropics in Power Drive and Brain Candy are recognized as safe, but all the same, we can’t really give a blanket recommendation to someone who’s 14. That being said, those supps are probably much safer than any alternative prescription drugs.

Ok thanks TC