T Nation

Natural Peanut Butter

I was just wanting peoples opinions on some natural peanut butter, I currently just picked up some Power PB but i was wondering if there was any other that are better or a better buy.

Krema is good, and contains no salt or added oils.

I just find a store that allows you to grind your own PB. Little more spendy, but you know all you are getting is nuts (well, a little salt too).

i like smuckers brand

I go to a health food store that grinds the peanuts right there. I also find that it is cheaper than pre-prepared stuff

[quote]bigshock80 wrote:
i like smuckers brand[/quote]

Second. You can get it cheaply from BJs.

I don’t like natural penut butter enough to eat it. I’ll stick with superchunk regular

Me buy BIG bag of peanuts pour into food processor and turn on bingo massive quantities of Natural PB or other nut butter at a 1/4 of the cost add a sweetener and a little salt if you want make it anywhere from chunky to creamy its all good.

Phill

I usually buy plain all natural peanut butter with added to it. I usually add some sea salt and/or stevia to it and mix it. Good stuff.

what’s wrong with plain?

[quote]nephorm wrote:
bigshock80 wrote:
i like smuckers brand

Second. You can get it cheaply from BJs.[/quote]

I third this. You can get it at Wal-Mart pretty cheap.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
what’s wrong with plain?[/quote]

Plain has 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. If that doesn’t bother you than eat the normal stuff. I don’t care.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
ubl0 wrote:
what’s wrong with plain?

Plain has 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. If that doesn’t bother you than eat the normal stuff. I don’t care.[/quote]

Isn’t non-natural a lot worse than just a little trans fat?

I thought they removed some of the oil and added some different oils & a stabiliser or something (non-natural doesn’t separate, does it?) + some sugar as well.

I like Smart Balance Omega Natty PB. Oils mix (if needed, sometimes you don’t even need to stir), and you don’t have to refridgerate it after opening, so you can travel with it. Smuckers and I have not got along. It seperates alot and becomes very hard when refridgerated. Maybe you guys have a trick, but I have had to throw out countless jars for that reason. It tastes good, I just hate the hassle.

[quote]oldskinnyfat wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
ubl0 wrote:
what’s wrong with plain?

Plain has 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. If that doesn’t bother you than eat the normal stuff. I don’t care.

Isn’t non-natural a lot worse than just a little trans fat?

I thought they removed some of the oil and added some different oils & a stabiliser or something (non-natural doesn’t separate, does it?) + some sugar as well.[/quote]

They add all kinds of stuff to the ‘normal’ PB. Just read a label and you can’t always pronounce the ingredients.

I found that if there are more than two (peanuts and salt) maybe three (oil) I don’t want to eat it. Usually, I try for just the peanuts as the ingredient.

Phill is right on the money for how easy it is to make at home. I’ll use my magic bullet to make cashew butter and almond butter.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Me buy BIG bag of peanuts pour into food processor and turn on bingo massive quantities of Natural PB or other nut butter at a 1/4 of the cost add a sweetener and a little salt if you want make it anywhere from chunky to creamy its all good.

Phill[/quote]

Phil,

You beat me to it. I was going to pass on your words of wisdom (citing you as the source of course).

I have not bought peanut butter in 2 weeks. Just Peanuts. What a great idea.

new2

[quote]Addicted wrote:
I like Smart Balance Omega Natty PB. Oils mix (if needed, sometimes you don’t even need to stir), and you don’t have to refridgerate it after opening, so you can travel with it. Smuckers and I have not got along. It seperates alot and becomes very hard when refridgerated. Maybe you guys have a trick, but I have had to throw out countless jars for that reason. It tastes good, I just hate the hassle.[/quote]

I second that motion.

[quote]Addicted wrote:
It seperates alot and becomes very hard when refridgerated. Maybe you guys have a trick, but I have had to throw out countless jars for that reason. It tastes good, I just hate the hassle.[/quote]

I had that same problem. I found that I just wasn’t mixing it up enough beforehand. Make sure you mix to the bottom, get all the oil evenly distributed throughout the jar, and then refrigerate. Whenever you take a serving, stir it up some more. It’ll stay creamy and soft forever, that way.

I will remember that if I ever have to go back to that brand. I really like the taste of the Smart Balance though, and the versatility of not having to keep refridgerated. There’s only one store that carries SB Omega, so that’s my only complaint. We like doing our shopping at Walmart, but they don’t carry it, so I end up stopping at Food Lion on the way home, just for PB.

I buy the Trader Joe’s brand. They have creamy and chunky, both of which come with or without added salt, so the ingredients list is either one or two items long. It says on the jar that it needs to be refrigerated after opening, but I never have, and have had no problems with it.

Like Neph says, stir to the bottom every time you use some, and it’ll be fine. However, I find the chunky type separates a lot less than the creamy one.