T Nation

Natural PB vs. Generic Brand

I have a question regarding Natural Peanut Butter. I recently bought 100% natural peanut butter, because I read that it is far better than the regular stuff. When I compared it to what I had in the cupboard (skippy) it turned out all the nutritional information matched almost identically. Has anyone noticed that before? If it’s all the same i’d prefer the regular stuff vs the natural as the natural is very coarse and dry.

regular pb contains added sugar and hydrogenated oils. Hydrogenated oils are absolutely terrible- avoid them at all costs.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
regular pb contains added sugar and hydrogenated oils. Hydrogenated oils are absolutely terrible- avoid them at all costs. [/quote]

The hydrogenated oil in processed peanut butter is very low. If you’re still worried about it you could try Skippy Natural, which replaced the partially hydrogenated peanut oil with palm oil, a saturated fat. Both have sugar added, so if you’re looking for a completely trans-fat-free and sugar-free peanut butter then you’re stick with the natural stuff. IMO, the amount of hydrogenated oil in processed PB nowadays isn’t anything significant worry about, especially since you are by far balancing it out with good fats.

Just eat the damn natural peanut butter. It’s healthier and better for you. Just because the amounts and ratios look similar, it doesn’t mean they are comparable. It’s just like butter and margarine. Butter is better.

Your peanut butter should contain two ingredients: Peanuts and salt.

[quote]Schwarzenegger wrote:
IMO, the amount of hydrogenated oil in processed PB nowadays isn’t anything significant worry about, especially since you are by far balancing it out with good fats.[/quote]

The problem I have with relative statements like this is, though it may, in fact, apply to you, others with a family/personal history of coronary heart disease may read that and basically consider it permission to throw caution to the wind and help themselves to trans fatty treats. Some would be well-advised to eat no trans fats, end of sentence.

Also, they’re easy enough to avoid, so why not keep away?

well wait guys He may have Natural PB thats loaded with SHIT!!! Natural claim can be placed on a LOT of things. It could be loaded with cane sugar and such and still be called Natural.

What you want bro is PB with ingredients that just say PEANUTS!! thats it maybe some salt

Phill

Better yet go with organic peanut butter. If you live near a COSTCO it’s relatively cheap.

I think you need to put it into perspective. As a previous poster said, there is a low amount. I think it’s less than 2% actually. As you’re probably not eating a jar a day, you would be okay eating either kind. Technically, you should only be eating the “natural” stuff if you want your diet to be completely “clean,” as people say.

Seriously, will some regular peanut butter, which is half the price, hurt your gains or fat loss? Probably not. Now if everything else is in order, you’re doing all the basics, then opt for the only peanut peanut butter.

Also, the Skippy Natural, which still contains sugar, is awesome. There’s really no difference between that and regular skippy or jiff.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
I think you need to put it into perspective. As a previous poster said, there is a low amount. I think it’s less than 2% actually. As you’re probably not eating a jar a day, you would be okay eating either kind. Technically, you should only be eating the “natural” stuff if you want your diet to be completely “clean,” as people say.

Seriously, will some regular peanut butter, which is half the price, hurt your gains or fat loss? Probably not. Now if everything else is in order, you’re doing all the basics, then opt for the only peanut peanut butter.

Also, the Skippy Natural, which still contains sugar, is awesome. There’s really no difference between that and regular skippy or jiff.[/quote]

Buy the store’s generic brand of natural peanut butter. It costs less than Jiff, Skippy and all the other crap peanut butter out there.

Why would anyone want to eat that crap? It doesn’t make sense to say that the other stuff only contains 2% of the bad stuff. How do you come out with that? If the second ingredient listed is hydrogenated oil or sugar, it’s not only 2% of the ingredients. And the fat/sugar content doesn’t even compare to the same amount in natural peanut butter nor does the nutritional value.

I’ve been eating Jif since i’ve been playing with G.I. Joes. Take it in my pre-bed meal with cottage cheese and in my two sandwhiches everyday for lunch, should i swap to organic or the like?

I like organic (Luara Scudders myself) mainly because it stirs into things much easier than regular peanut butter. When mixed up correctly it is basically pourable out of the container. Try storing it upside down before you open it so the oil “floats” to the bottom, then you turn it right side up and stir it in.

Most “regular” PButters have a fair amount of sugar added too… I’ll pass on that.

Also, the hydrogenated oil is blown out of proportion, there is hardly any… but still, if you eat a bunch of PButter I’d stick with natural myself.

Thanks for all the advice. If it means anything to anyone the brand of 100% Natural PB I have is called Adams and since I want to eat as clean as I can I’m going to stick with it. Thanks again

Thanks for all the good advice. If it means anything to anyone the brand I have is Adams 100% natural crunchy PB. Ingredients: Peanuts, Salt. No stabilizers. I want to eat as clean as I can so I will stick with it. Thanks again

After eating the natural stuff for a couple of months go back and have some of the shit most people eat. You will be absolutely disgusted. The ingredients should read “Peanuts”, or if it is the brand that I buy “100% slow roasted peanuts”.

What about Trader Joes brand?..

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
After eating the natural stuff for a couple of months go back and have some of the shit most people eat. You will be absolutely disgusted. The ingredients should read “Peanuts”, or if it is the brand that I buy “100% slow roasted peanuts”. [/quote]

Agreed, and this is a typical reaction of those who switch from eating overly processed garbage to real food.

Man, the first time I made homemade salsa, it was ridiculous…ate Pace brand salsa again and BOOM! Puke city!..

…not really, but almost.

End hijack…back to the peanut butter, I can’t even have that stuff in my house anymore. I ate half a jar of Smuckers Natty Peanut Butter…in about 10 minutes. Hello, 2800 calories.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
itsthetimman wrote:

Also, the Skippy Natural, which still contains sugar, is awesome. There’s really no difference between that and regular skippy or jiff.

Buy the store’s generic brand of natural peanut butter. It costs less than Jiff, Skippy and all the other crap peanut butter out there.

Why would anyone want to eat that crap? It doesn’t make sense to say that the other stuff only contains 2% of the bad stuff. How do you come out with that? If the second ingredient listed is hydrogenated oil or sugar, it’s not only 2% of the ingredients. And the fat/sugar content doesn’t even compare to the same amount in natural peanut butter nor does the nutritional value.

[/quote]

On the label, the peanut butter says:

Contains 2% or less of the following (enter ingredients here).

In regards to the pricepoint, I have not found a jar of natural peanut butter at the stores around me that are any less than $2 compared to the $1.79 for the Jiff I buy (medium sized). The natural Skippy is like $1.50 on sale at the local Wal-Mart and the size is a couple ounces smaller.