T Nation

Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Faigin

Coach,

What are your thoughts on peri- and para-workout nutrition and overall diet recommended by Rob Faigin in his NHE book? In a nutshell, Rob advocates elimination of starches and sugar completely except for ~ two meals a week consumed at the end of the day as a part of carb load to refill glycogen stores and support anabolic hormonal balance.

I switched to this lifestyle 7-8 weeks ago.

First 7 days were really rough. Carb cravings, sluggishness, poor workout intensity. During the first 2 weeks I lost ~10 lbs. Then the rebound was amazing. Now, much better sleep and recovery. I sleep less but I feel so much more refreshed when I wake up. I’m alert all day. I’m down 4% BF to 10%, the leanest ever. Water retention reduced a lot. At the same time, I gained 6 lbs back.

Strength is up on all lifts. Standing military press, I went from 115 to 165 lbs for 5 strict reps. Workouts are much more productive and intense. Sex drive is ridiculous, my gf can’t keep up with me and says that she loves how tight my muscles feel under the skin =D

[i]My diet consists of cage-free chicken, grass-fed beef, occasional omega-3 enriched egg, wild-caught fish and shellfish. No dairy. Occasional serving of fruit. Each 6-8 oz serving of meat is usually accompanied with a generous serving of olive oil or flaxseed oil and a a lot fresh veggies: spinach, broccoli, asparagus, tomato, carrots, zucchini, squash, radishes, onions…

Supplements: fish oil, dried kelp, Grow! whey.

Training sessions are MWF, 8-9 am. Currently upper/lower split. 2 main exercises (antagonist pairing) + supplementary lifts + core.

Pre-workout: @ 7 am I have 2 scoops of whey, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp coconut oil in 16 oz herbal tea.

Post: 30 min, a solid meal (usually some kind of fatty fish with a pile of veggies and olive oil)[/i]

*No dairy except whey.

So your peri workout nutrition is fat and protein?

Rob’s focus isn’t on fat per se. But he wants some in there. Say 5-10g.

[quote]mch60360 wrote:
So your peri workout nutrition is fat and protein?[/quote]

Really, you’ve answered your own question. If it’s working, then another’s opinion is irrelevant.

No sarcasm here. Just trying to remind you that the real results of something trumps what someone says or thinks about something every time. :wink:

DH

[quote]dj_tiesto wrote:
Coach,

What are your thoughts on peri- and para-workout nutrition and overall diet recommended by Rob Faigin in his NHE book? In a nutshell, Rob advocates elimination of starches and sugar completely except for ~ two meals a week consumed at the end of the day as a part of carb load to refill glycogen stores and support anabolic hormonal balance.

I switched to this lifestyle 7-8 weeks ago.

First 7 days were really rough. Carb cravings, sluggishness, poor workout intensity. During the first 2 weeks I lost ~10 lbs. Then the rebound was amazing. Now, much better sleep and recovery. I sleep less but I feel so much more refreshed when I wake up. I’m alert all day. I’m down 4% BF to 10%, the leanest ever. Water retention reduced a lot. At the same time, I gained 6 lbs back.

Strength is up on all lifts. Standing military press, I went from 115 to 165 lbs for 5 strict reps. Workouts are much more productive and intense. Sex drive is ridiculous, my gf can’t keep up with me and says that she loves how tight my muscles feel under the skin =D

[i]My diet consists of cage-free chicken, grass-fed beef, occasional omega-3 enriched egg, wild-caught fish and shellfish. No dairy. Occasional serving of fruit. Each 6-8 oz serving of meat is usually accompanied with a generous serving of olive oil or flaxseed oil and a a lot fresh veggies: spinach, broccoli, asparagus, tomato, carrots, zucchini, squash, radishes, onions…

Supplements: fish oil, dried kelp, Grow! whey.

Training sessions are MWF, 8-9 am. Currently upper/lower split. 2 main exercises (antagonist pairing) + supplementary lifts + core.

Pre-workout: @ 7 am I have 2 scoops of whey, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp coconut oil in 16 oz herbal tea.

Post: 30 min, a solid meal (usually some kind of fatty fish with a pile of veggies and olive oil)[/i]

[/quote]