T Nation

Natural Capabilities

What is the most a human body can lift without 'roids? Since I was recently informed that it would be impossible for a human to deadlift 800, and your body plateau’s completely after a while.

But can anyone tell me the maximum weight (Bench/Squat/Deadlift) that a human body can do? Does testosterone/age play a big part?

i hate these threads, no one ever achieved anything worthwhile after putting limits on themselves

I’m only posting in here to get my post count up to build credibility later.

STFU and decide either compete or not. End of story. “WAHH WAHHH… I can’t out lift people because they are evil cheaters. WAAHHH WAHHHHH”

Grow the fuck up, man.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i hate these threads, no one ever achieved anything worthwhile after putting limits on themselves[/quote]
x2 Just fucking go for it. The only thing certain is failure in quitting.

[quote]TheTexican wrote:
I’m only posting in here to get my post count up to build credibility later.

STFU and decide either compete or not. End of story. “WAHH WAHHH… I can’t out lift people because they are evil cheaters. WAAHHH WAHHHHH”

Grow the fuck up, man. [/quote]

That does not answer the question. So you basically “whined” as much as me, for what? Exactly, “grow the fuck up, man”. STFU, and decide whether you’re going to answer the question or not. Imbecile. Your post was as pointless as benching with nothing on the barbell, except clips.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
i hate these threads, no one ever achieved anything worthwhile after putting limits on themselves[/quote]

You hate these threads, yet you commented, and you STILL didn’t answer the question. Whether I put personal limits on myself or not is none of your concern. Focus on YOURSELF, and if you’re not going to answer the question, then shut the fuck up and keep eating that rib in your avatar.

You edited the question.

There’s no way to answer that question. Look up the current records and you can see where people are at the moment. Of course age and test factor in. That’s just basic knowledge. Many other things factor in as well. You asked a question that cannot be answered.

To summarize your questions:

No. Yes.

And it is quite possible to deadlift over 800 lbs.

Google Benedikt Magnusson.

Who cares? Lift heavy stuff and constantly strive for more. If people actually cared about what the supposed limits on the human body were there’d be no reason for the olympics, or any sort of competition that the competitors seek higher and higher levels of success.

For you? I imagine your potential is much less than others, natural or not, by the simple fact that you concern yourself with such bullshit…not to mention you seem clueless where powerlifting is concerned…there are easily over 100 people that have pulled over 800 pounds…some of them even did it raw…hell a couple guys have pulled over 1,000…

Your question is also retarded because you don’t specify bodyweight…you do realize bodyweight plays a role in limit strength, right?

Who knows what the limit is. Why not push it and see?

or quit.

I’ve pulled 804 and 810 in competition without steroids. Just like any other drug, steroids have non-responders. Just thinking one varibale is some kind of magic bullet for improvement is nuts. I am a lot stronger than some guys my age and weight that are all juiced up. I don’t hold it against them. I actually commend them on doing what it takes to be the best they can possibly be. But, the reason I am stronger is because I realize there is no one thing that will make the biggest difference.

Define ‘Natural ability.’ What the hell does that even mean? If you mean it in terms as a baseline, a starting place, then yes, some people are more gifted than others. Everyone involved in a strength sport knows the guy that becnhed 350lbs the first time he got under a bar. But, do things like consistancy and problem solving fall under natural ability? Or work ethic?

When I first picked up a weight I was 13 years old and 160lbs. My bench press max for the first day of testing for football was a whopping 165lbs. 14 years later, I am 285lbs and just recently got a 435lb close grip in training. The only thing that comes natural about my ability is that I never stopped. Since then, I can’t remember ever taking a week off. Even with surgeries, vacations, sickness, whatever the hell else.

So, what is the limit? Who cares. Do everything you can to find it for yourself. I know for me personally, I am going to die with a heavy weight in my hands.

[quote]Controversy wrote:
What is the most a human body can lift without 'roids?[/quote]

Chuck Norris does not do push ups, he does Earth downs… Everyone is different there is absolutely no way to determine this. You WAG is as good as my WAG ( Wild Ass Guess)

You were incorrectly informed. and yes one will ultimately reach a Strength Pinnacle. This level of performance is as individual as us all. Bottom line, NO ONE escapes the aging process. I assume that that’s you in your Avitar? Looks like you have many years left to reach your goals, barring some sort of accident. Train smart and hard. See where you end up.

I read once From Louis Simmons that he believes that a powerlifter peaks in the 40’s. This was based on the lifters totals in this age group if I remember correctly, but it has been a while.

I assume that you would like these numbers to somehow compare yourself to those numbers or to get a number to shoot for in your own training so here’s the numbers.

Squat - 1149.3#
Bench - 859.2#
Deadlift - 1103.6#

These numbers were put up by a guy that I smoked my first joint with at camp back when I lost my virginity to my supermodel girlfriend back in the day… lol just kidding. I say that in jest because it doesn’t matter.

YES, without Test you are a weakling… period

Did the person who told you it’s impossible to pull 800 without steroids do it?

Just look up powerlifting records that are tested or by athletes that promote themselves as drug free. KK competes in tested events, Mark Henry claims to be drug free and he pulled 903. PLwatch has tested raw all time powerlifting records, obviously bodyweight makes a difference.

Lol I’ve DL’d 685, never taken so much as questionable supplements, and I’m only 23 @ 200-205 lbs…I sure as shit will be getting a deadlift over 800 lbs naturally, barring major injuries…

[quote]TheTexican wrote:
You edited the question.

There’s no way to answer that question. Look up the current records and you can see where people are at the moment. Of course age and test factor in. That’s just basic knowledge. Many other things factor in as well. You asked a question that cannot be answered.

To summarize your questions:

No. Yes.
[/quote]

I edited so I wouldn’t have to hear anymore bitching. I just wanted an answer. But THANK YOU, that’s all I wanted – an answer. No one said anything about me “giving up”, and if I did, it’s my problem, and no one else’s concern.

[quote]TheTexican wrote:
And it is quite possible to deadlift over 800 lbs.

Google Benedikt Magnusson. [/quote]

Thank you! Because a fellow PL told me it was impossible, and he hears “inexperienced lifters” say all of the time that, they’re going to hit this weight, or that. I couldn’t tell if he was subliminally dissing me, or trying to kill my spirit…Even though we’re “cool”.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Just look up powerlifting records that are tested or by athletes that promote themselves as drug free. KK competes in tested events, Mark Henry claims to be drug free and he pulled 903. PLwatch has tested raw all time powerlifting records, obviously bodyweight makes a difference.[/quote]

I figured bodyweight made a difference. Thank you. I just wanted to see for myself. He gave me an example of another fellow PL who benched 425 a couple years ago (or 525) and since then, haven’t progressed.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

[quote]Controversy wrote:
What is the most a human body can lift without 'roids?[/quote]

Chuck Norris does not do push ups, he does Earth downs… Everyone is different there is absolutely no way to determine this. You WAG is as good as my WAG ( Wild Ass Guess)

You were incorrectly informed. and yes one will ultimately reach a Strength Pinnacle. This level of performance is as individual as us all. Bottom line, NO ONE escapes the aging process. I assume that that’s you in your Avitar? Looks like you have many years left to reach your goals, barring some sort of accident. Train smart and hard. See where you end up.

I read once From Louis Simmons that he believes that a powerlifter peaks in the 40’s. This was based on the lifters totals in this age group if I remember correctly, but it has been a while.

I assume that you would like these numbers to somehow compare yourself to those numbers or to get a number to shoot for in your own training so here’s the numbers.

Squat - 1149.3#
Bench - 859.2#
Deadlift - 1103.6#

These numbers were put up by a guy that I smoked my first joint with at camp back when I lost my virginity to my supermodel girlfriend back in the day… lol just kidding. I say that in jest because it doesn’t matter.

YES, without Test you are a weakling… period[/quote]

Thank you for being the only one to answer my question! Yes, that is my. June will make two years, and the last I deadlifted was 460 in November. I weigh 175. My bench is 305. My squat WAS 315x3, but I neglected legs for a month, and it dropped so bad. But last week on my first week of 5/3/1, I hit 255 for 8 I believe. So I figured it’s back in the 300’s. Always embarrassed to talk about legs, since I could’ve been at 330 at least if I didn’t get lazy and stupid. Thanks for the help!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
For you? I imagine your potential is much less than others, natural or not, by the simple fact that you concern yourself with such bullshit…not to mention you seem clueless where powerlifting is concerned…there are easily over 100 people that have pulled over 800 pounds…some of them even did it raw…hell a couple guys have pulled over 1,000…

Your question is also retarded because you don’t specify bodyweight…you do realize bodyweight plays a role in limit strength, right?[/quote]

It was a question. When does a question determine how hard I lift in the gym? You don’t even know me. You’re an egotistical idiot, assuming ignorant things based off a statement – and a QUESTION. You could’ve saved yourself a paragraph and two sentences, and just called me “retarded”. That’s was the point of your post – right? Boy, I’m glad you don’t go to my gym. I’d hate to ask you questions if I was a beginner. Then again, I heard 'roids makes you have temper tantrums so, it all makes sense :slight_smile:

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Who cares? Lift heavy stuff and constantly strive for more. If people actually cared about what the supposed limits on the human body were there’d be no reason for the olympics, or any sort of competition that the competitors seek higher and higher levels of success.[/quote]

You’d think after 100+ people posted this, the 101 would actually answer the question. I guess the percentile of people who actually DO help is 1-5% on this forum. The rest just say “Who cares, stop whining”. I wouldn’t have a problem if you answered the question THEN proceeded with the “who cares?”, but what was your purpose, brother?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Lol I’ve DL’d 685, never taken so much as questionable supplements, and I’m only 23 @ 200-205 lbs…I sure as shit will be getting a deadlift over 800 lbs naturally, barring major injuries…[/quote]

Well you let me know when you do, so that I will find hope once more LUL

The person who told me this information, was Oratorman. That is his Youtube name. He’s a pretty good lifter, so I took his word into consideration. He gave me examples like Coan (Who admitted to roiding, which is whatever to me, get it how you live it). So I figured I’d ask.

No one can ever do everything perfect, so there is always room for improvement. Knowing that, the discussion of limits is pointless.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
No one can ever do everything perfect, so there is always room for improvement. Knowing that, the discussion of limits is pointless.[/quote]

All I wanted to know was, if a human (At any BW) could deadlift 800. That’s all I wanted to know, for starters. If I knew people would preach to me, I would’ve made it one sentence, bland, and more direct. I guess you can be anything BUT “human” on these forums, apparently.

When a lot of people, that are a lot stronger than you, are all telling you the same thing, you might want to listen. It doesn’t matter because you’re not going to reach that level of potential, no one is. My purpose in saying “who cares” is the same as everyone else’ here. It simply does not matter and thus doesn’t effect your lifting, or anyones for that matter in anyway other than a negative one.

That single question essentially is an excuse, one that weaker people like to make when their own levels of success are not up to par - not saying you’re making an excuse, just saying that question can simply be turned into one for many people. That is also why your intensity in the gym was called into question - because most of us who have been around here a long time and see this question pop up each year from weak people, ultimately spend so much time over-analyzing and coming up with reasons why they are not stronger such as saying they’ve “hit their neural potential” that they never last in this sport.

When we say “it doesn’t matter” we’re telling you not to waste time focusing on something that isn’t going to help you in any way.