T Nation

Natty on Pennies

That’s a really good question; I’d put it this way; (the neurotypes are not absolute truths, and it’s not that clearly cut either, just threw them in for fun)

Being naturally confident is the highest tier of confidence. You don’t think of what other people think about you, you don’t really care. These are your type 1s

Acting confident with confidence is the next highest up; you’re maybe not a natural extrovert or the guy that just grabs everyone’s attention without even really thinking about it, but you’re not on the verge of passing out when you’re in the spotlight. These would be type 2As

Next one downwards; the guys who can act semi-confident but I’m reality they are frightened by being in front of people; they get nervous and are on the verge of choking. These are the guys that may stutter, lose their thoughts or leave something unsaid if they have to, for example give a public presentation. These are the 2Bs

And lastly, the people who just are not confident. They don’t want to be the center of attention and cannot act confidently. These are the guys who need a long ass time to prepare even for presentations at work. The type 3.

So in a sense you trash talk to be liked by people? I trash talk a lot too but for me it just comes naturally - I don’t really think about what people think about it

Could be

That’s something CT seems to put under 2A. (Referring to the superhero article here)

He’s a 2A, although I’m pretty sure he said (on a podcast) that he has aspergers and due to that his neurotype is all over the place.

Ohhhhhh. That makes sense for me too (High functioning Autism)

Indeed. Personally, it is reflections such as these that make it the hardest to adequately establish which neurotype I myself fall in. Discerning between how I’m primed to react neurologically from how I’ve been brought up, and from behaviors I have willingly acquired or learnt is a challenge.

Am I naturally confident? Maybe, I’ve always been able to talk to just about anyone, but maybe I just learned how to do that from watching my dad (who is especially adept at this skill).

Did I use to attach more value to how I was perceived by others? Yes. Why did I stop? Because it was stressful, so I coached myself to adopt more of a devil may care attitude. Now, not caring is no longer a conscious choice, I have to go out of my way to care about my perception (even though I still do sometimes, but more as a strategic choice)

I routinely end up in the spotlight, not so much as a result of me craving it but more so to fill a void. Throughout my career, people rarely volunteer to do things such as talk in public, lead/dictate etc. and while I may enjoy the latter in some way, the former is just something that I can do, somehow, without stress, without prep. Why? Because I realised very early on that there is little-to-no consequence in doing so, people have more important things in their lives going on than to care how well you do at presenting.

I can however produce a lot of stress hormones, even without needing to. I can get a stress response sitting out in the sun, during a vacation, while doing nothing. My body will just pump stress hormones without fail for an hour, it will pass, and life is back to normal. Seems very Type 3.

I don’t know how to adequately describe this behaviour. Growing up, I played a lot of video games, so I “competed” daily. Some of my friends would get very frustrated with losing, and I just found that behaviour very off-putting so I did not adopt it myself. Instead, I just play again. So, I was conditioned to not view a loss as something inherently negative, it’s just an interim before the next victory.

Trash talking, in my adult life, just seems to make things more fun. For instance, we play ping pong essentially everyday at the office. Building the game up, talking about how you are going to bring your A-game and make the other suffer such a disheartening loss that they’ll leave early that day usually prompts a genuine laughter on their part. It’s bonding, in a way. So, maybe not as much to be liked as to mesh well socially. And doing so is strategic, being friends with your coworkers makes life better (at least to my mind). If I got the sense that it was ill-perceived I’d stop (something maybe you wouldn’t if you are a Type 1?).

Definitely. You can also take characteristics of other neurotypes under stress which doesn’t really help either

So for you it is a natural thing to care about what other people think of you, but it’s not so strong that you couldn’t let go of it?

That sounds really odd. Never experienced this myself. I do have some type three friends that are quite prone to getting depressed or having panic attacks. What is your physiological response when that happens? Does it come out like a panic attack or is it just general restlessness?

I played somewhat actively as well. Losing games was never an issue to me, being anything but the best guy in the game (or in top 3 if it was something like battlefield where there’s a ton of players) is what frustrated me. We competed by comparing kill/death ratios and killstreaks so it’s in line with being competitive.

Sounds familiar. If you were in a “serious” competitive situation how would you react? If I’m actually competing against someone and drift off you know I’ll be devastating you not only in the game but also verbally, in a not-essentially-fun way. Also if it is something like football there will be a lot of physical contact and playing ugly. In a sense, I do take a very aggressive role in team sports instead of a maybe more useful supporting role. Does that sound like something you’d do, or would you prefer a more supportive role?

Do you stop because you feel empathy toward a person you feel you’ve hurt, or do you stop because they are obviously offended and you’re not dumb? (Not wanting to be labeled as a bully at work)

Personally I feel very little empathy. Actually, let me tell you a little story;

So, my girlfriend and I were at the gym. She was having a bad day and her grip was failing on farmers walk, which I found hilarious. On her last set she dropped the dumbbell at the halfway point. That’s when she snapped and decided to kick a nearby chair hard as hell. She did not have shoes on and she managed to break her toenail with the kick. Apparently it hurt like hell and she begun to cry. Now you may think I’m a horrible person for saying this, but I didn’t feel empathy at that point, I just laughed at the situation. (And I still tease he about it over a year later)

How’d you react in a similar situation? Would you keep on bringing it up after months?

With training, do you feel more trashed after neurologically challenging work or muscularly challenging work?

Maxing out doesn’t really wear me down at all, even if I do some back off sets that are still rather heavy (or stuff like 3-2-1 waves). Doing a lot of muscular work is much harder; volume also wears me out faster than intensity

How well do you shift in and out of “the zone”? Both in session and straight after or before it?

Can you throw a jokes and get hyped up straight after or do you need a break?

Can you relax as soon as your session is over or does it take a bit of time?

Another example; on days where I got a lot of free time my mornings usually look like this;
Wake up
Eat
Back to sleep
Wake up again and within 10 minutes I may be on my way to the gym
Train
Take a nap when I get home (~15 minutes after finishing the session)

So for me it’s really easy to relax when I don’t need to do stuff and to get into the zone when I need to.

Sorry for taking so long, my phone died halfway through writing this thing.

So it’s the middle of the night and I just got this feeling of writing something informative-ish on here. After all, that’s what my log was originally based on. (It’s been a while since I’ve had inspiration to write and really, my writings rarely sparked much interest) but still, I enjoy writing stuff.

Coming at you with a slightly odd but not radical view; I think that everybody should practice posing.

Why everybody? For bodybuilders it’s obvious as it is an essential part of the sport, but for strength athletes it may seem a bit odd.

First off, posing teaches you how to activate and contract your muscles. Which one do you think is easier to fix; (all other things being equal) an unresponsive muscle on a guy who may never have contracted it. Or an unresponsive muscle on a guy who has practiced posing for years? The latter, by far. If you don’t know how to contract a muscle you’ll have to learn that first. It doesn’t matter if you have the fanciest curl variation out there if all of the work is done by your traps, front delts and forearms. Contraction is key.

Secondly, it teaches you how to create whole body tension. When posing you are always contracting a lot of different muscles at the same time (or you’re doing it wrong). Think rear double biceps for example; not only are you squeezing the hell out of your bis,but you’ve also got to contract your calves, hamstrings, glutes, back, delts and forearms at the same time. A lot of newer lifters have trouble with creating tension in more places than one at a time. You tell them to squeeze their lats and they lose the midsection. Tell them to brace and they forget their legs exist. With posing you take out the pressure of performing a movement and having to do stuff with weights and you can just focus on the tension.

Thirdly, posing itself may have some benefits of “real” workouts. Doing proper posing training is hard work. Long, full body contractions for 30-45 minutes with little to no rest will leave you huffing and puffing. So it is a way to sneak in some extra work. As it is unweighted, it can also work as a tool to accelerate recovery. Also, some studies have shown that unweighted bicep curls (so just bending and extending your arm as you contract the muscle) can elicit a hypertrophic response, although I got no idea of wether or not the subjects had trained previously.

So, all in all; better activation, fixing weak points, better bracing and tension, calorie burning, recovery and even hypertrophy all in one vanity-drenched package? What’s there not to love about that?

I’d say it’s not as much a concern of what other people think of me, I don’t go out of my way to be disliked, but I do go out of my way sometimes to make sure others don’t feel bad as a result of my behaviour rather.

Panic-attacky. Probably a remnant of me burning out a few years ago, don’t have strong memories of experiencing anything of the same before that. Burning out could be a Type 3 thing (excess stress) or it could be just tremendous drive that went too far (Type 1).

I stopped once I reached the top 5k players in the world. Then it felt more like a job and less like fun.

Don’t know. Haven’t ever really competed in anything. Don’t come from a sporty family or background. I’d probably play more aggressively than supportingly if I did, assuming of course I could take on that role. Being anything but a natural sprinter makes you bad in that role in most sports.

The latter.

If it seemed like it was all in good jest and wasn’t detrimental to the relationship then sure. I like giving people a hard time, as long as it’s playful.

I’m just now trying more muscular work, so I’ll have to get back to you on that. It is certainly a different type of fatigue.

Give me some carbs and fats after and I’ll give you a nap! (rice+bacon)

I could never sleep that much. Napping seems like it’s an acquired skill, one that is honed in the military. I never did service and I just abhorrently suck at it.

No worries!

You certainly do care about people, that’s clear even if we only read your posts here. It’s somewhat off-putting if we think about type 1, but really, type 1s are not just these ice-cold guys. Personally I don’t go out if my way to comfort someone, but I may clarify that I meant to say something as a joke or in good spirit, or I may compliment them on something else.

Could be either one of those, or neither. I don’t think any type is immune to burning out. But if we think between types 1 and 3, do you remember wether you felt like you were striving, doing a lot and then just crashing, or was it more of a “work just piles on and I’m getting buried” type of feel? (I’d guess the former as you mentioned tremendous drive)

That’s why I don’t play that much of competitive games anymore. I do like them but I feel they have a negative effect on me as a whole. (And besides, I don’t have that much time for them either)

Fun fact, me and one of my friends hold (I think) a very unofficial world record for one of Modern Warfare 2’s spec ops. We did it offline so sadly there is no record to show.

So would you take the role that, with your personal skills, would be the most beneficial for the team, the role you’re most comfortable with or the role that, for you is the most fun to play with?
Or could it be that the role that is the most fun to play for you is also the most comfortable and the most beneficial for the team?

My ball-handling skills are pretty bad (unless we talk basketball) but I still choose to be in an aggressive role because it’s more fun and there is more action

In general, do you prefer team or individual sports?

I actually dislike team sports. I turn down invites rather often (comparatively, that is). They just don’t bring me the joy that individual sports do.

I feel the same way, although I do go too far from time to time

Definitely. It feels not only like fatigue but also boredom and actual tiredness to me

Pretty sure 90% of people would fall asleep after rice and bacon, that sounds incredibly tiring.

Napping is definitely a skill. Funny that you bring the military up, as I was borderline legendary for my napping skills during service. No matter where we were, how cold it was or how stressful the situation was, I could always fall asleep within minutes. (Usually slept with half of my gear on as well)

Neurotype examples from the YouTube fitness scene

I’m damn near obsessed with neurotyping right now, so I just tried to come up with an example of each neurotype with guys from YouTube. (For my own entertainment) I thought that this could interest some of you as well.

A couple of things to keep in mind;

1. This is not a “choose your favourite YouTuber” kind of deal. It’s a “who do I share the most similarities with” - kind of deal. If you notice that you picked someone and then started to act more like them, you probably picked the wrong guy and/or you are a type 2A.
  2. I’m by no means professional with this so this is for entertainment purposes only.

But hey, let’s begin.

Type 1A;
Eric Bugenhagen

A textbook 1A. Loud, extroverted guy who thrives on intensity. Dude can grind out heavy singles every day. When he tried to do more of a bodybuilding style routine he apparently got bored before even finishing filming the workouts for YouTube. Also the couple of times he had to be without training for some days we started to get some really bizarre singing videos. (Another outlet and way to get a rush)

Type 1B;
Larry Wheels (skip to 5:15 if you don’t want to watch the whole thing)

Tremendous amounts of speed. Uses a huge amount of stretch reflex in his lifts. (If you look at the overhead press videos you see his starting with the bar at nearly chin level and he then dips it before beginning the actual press). Again, dude can take a lot in terms of intensity.

Type 2A;
Alex from AlphaDestiny

Now this one may seem lke a type 1 at first glance, but don’t be fooled. If you’ve seen his older videos (not sure if those are still up) you can tell that he is not a natural extrovert. He had all kinds of shady angles and he tried to speak in a way that would make him sound more masculine. So we can argue that his natural state is anything but this extroverted guy you see in the videos. (And really you can tell that he hasn’t mastered it yet). Dude also mirrors the behavior of Eric, who he seems to really appreciate.

Training-wise, Alex is a clear 2A as well. He has an intensity day and a volume day, accompanied by two lighter workouts that could be seen as neural charge or GPP. (Not at the same time though)

Type 2B;
Jeff Nippard

A very science-based and structured guy. Analytical about everything he does,likes bodybuilding better than strength training but still has some heavier work in there.

Type 3;
Ian McCarthy

Now before you ask, yes, this guy has been lifting for quite a while. (5 years or so, haven’t followed him that closely) Dude obviously wants to be in control and that leads into him never really pushing himself. Only a type three would even consider leaving squats at 6x95lbs when 8x135lbs looks that smooth. For me personally, watching this is frustrating.

Hopefully somebody finds this interesting, I sure had fun writing it.

I’ll have to have a look later. I have to tell you, CT gave me his best guess as to what I am today based on my replies to the superhero article. I rewrote my replies to keep it as up-to-date as I could, maybe you want to go over my response as well and see what you end up with - and I can maybe acknowledge if you get it right :wink:

Type 1A:

Extremely verbal, talk a lot, talk loud
I talk a lot, and can usually dominate a social setting, but I usually only do this if the conversation otherwise runs silent. I.e., I tend to fill a void, rather than just naturally take a lot of space out of the gate.

Always want to be the leader, the center of attention
I don’t seek out the role, but I tend to occupy it more often than not. For instance, I do not hold a managerial position at work but when my immediate bosses are away the rest of the team seems to auto-select me as a leader. Maybe because I’m the only one comfortable talking as much as is required.

Don’t deal well with authority
Loathe authority when it isn’t earned.

Very high self-esteem/confidence
Fairly high self-esteem.

Extreme competitiveness (trash talker, sore loser and winner)
I trash talk only if it improves the social situation, i.e. that level of jesting and playful banter seems to make others enjoy it more. This goes back to filling a void. Meaning, if I’m about to play a game of leisurely ping-pong with a coworker (I work at an office) I’ll trash-talk all the way there if

1. This is a person I know well
  2. That person generally gets fired up and responds well to this.
    although, this may just be a culture thing. Not sure what came first, my behaviour or that is culturally accepted to behave this way.

Need to win in every situation
No.

Tend to burn the candle from both ends (very intense, but burn out easily)
I have burned out a few years back. Studied at ~150-200% while holding down a part-time job (technically 25% but in reality 50%)

Hate rules
Both yes and no. I hate bad rules, that don’t make sense. I hate inefficient rules and bureaucracy. I write rules for a living basically as a software developer and I don’t hate that.

Want to do things their own way
Generally yes, my way is usually pretty good and doesn’t take as much overhead as following in someone else’s mold. I try to draw from the experience of others and aggregate that so I can best accomplish my goals

Love to convince others that they are right
Yes

Impatient
Incredibly

Very “goal driven”
Yes, but. My goals have changed. Now, I’m primarily focused on not burning out ever again more so than say excelling in my career.

Seek conflict
No, not at all. I try to strategize to avoid conflict, while still accomplishing whatever it is I’m trying to do.

Don’t care what other people think of them
Used to, that takes a lot of effort though, so I’ve trained this trait away. Now I have to go more out of my way to care than not care.

Act on impulse and emotions
Yes, I’d argue all of my body-art are impromptu decisions that I’ve made. Same goes for purchasing items I don’t need.

Amazing under pressure
I can fair well under crunch time but I’m no longer motivated to do so, once again, my priorities have shifted to favour health.

Love to take risks
No.

Type 1B. Omitting the overlap

Seek out intense activities (thrill seeker)
Not really, trying out more things in recent times though that are — to me — exciting. Inline skating, gymnastics (tumbling) etc.

Constantly need to try new experiences
Yes, to a certain extent. I need variation, definitely.

Very easy motor learning, great natural athletes
I have a very good sense of where my body is, but I’m not a great natural athlete as I’m not explosive. I sprint slower than just about anyone.

Fast, agile, explosive naturally
No

Very good at multi-tasking
No

Lots of imagination
I used to work as a designer before I became a software engineer so I have heaps of creativity

Can easily switch from relaxed to very active and get back to relaxed
I tend to stay wired once I get wired but getting there is usually tough

Is not affected by what others think of them, but still has consideration for them
Definitely this.

Type 2A

Lower self-esteem when at rest
Not sure?

Potentiated by high adrenaline situations but can easily choke when there is too much
I have never choked

Want to get along with everybody
This is generally nice, but I’m fine with having some people disliking me

Excellent at creating personas, changing their personality depending on the situation
Incredibly adept at this. Huge chameleon. I naturally mimic people as I figure them out and can adapt to others to blend in very easily.

Need to create a reciprocity with the person they are talking to
That, or I’ll try and get away from the conversation

What others think of them is super important
No

Losing face is destructive for them
No, I’ve intentionally lost face sometimes.

Tend to mimick the most influencial person for them
Yes

Great at reading people
If I let myself I am, it’s a huge drain taking in all of that information.

Don’t like to make decisions
I make snap decisions often enough to answer this with a “no”

Fun to be around, like to have fun
Hope so

Need variation, change
Absolutely

Their driving force is their need to earn the respect, admiration, acceptation of others
Not at all

Hate to feel left out, even in an activity they didn’t want to do in the first place
Upsetting, but not hate.

Procrastinate and do better work when they are last minute
Yes, this is a strategy I employ mindfully even.

Type 2B

More introverted but still need to have the approval and respect of others
I live a fairly introverted life

Much better 1-on-1 than in a group; very good in that situation
I enjoy groups more than 1-on-1 nowadays, this has shifted. Groups are generally less boring, more is happening. It’s more challenging

Very emotional
Used to be

Easily fall in love
Used to, has since grown disenchanted with the idea of love and so it takes a lot more for me to get excited about an other human being in that way

Love to dress well and look good
I used to show up to work every day in a dress-shirt and a suit. But, now that I work out before work I no longer do this to spare the clothes the inside of my gym bag.

Like displays of emotions, grand gestures
YES!

Give everything to each relationship, friendship, marriage, couple, family
Yes, part of why I burned out as well

People pleasers
Yes, historically at least.

Want to avoid disappointing others at all cost
“Others”, no, probably couldn’t care. Some people in my life though, sure, disappointing them would be rough.

Their greatest motivation is being loved, liked, desired, admired
No

Prefer to stick to activities they know and love
No

Are the best at listening to others and helping them
Probably were, now I struggle to care enough to listen to anyone who isn’t a really close friend.

Will work harder than everybody else if they think it’s going to get them respected
Nah

Sacrifice themselves or their well-being for the good of others
Used to

The most prone to chocking under pressure
Never choke

Type 3

Introverted
In a way, solitary life, focusing solely on body recomposition right now

Highest level of anxiety
Anxiety, no. I can however produce a lot of stress hormones, even without needing to. I can get a stress response sitting out in the sun, during a vacation, while doing nothing. My body will just pump stress hormones without fail for an hour, it will pass, and life is back to normal. Might be remnant of burning out.

Function better when following a routine
I like planning and optimizing. If I don’t have a routine, I’ll fall out of it. For instance, I can be ruthlessly consistent with working out every day but if I had just 3 workouts a week I’d start missing workouts

Don’t deal well with unexpected changes of plan
I do because I am quite pragmatic about making changes on the fly

Hate taking risks, play it safe
Sort of

Prefer repetitiveness over novelty and variation
No

Great observers and « information gatherers »
Yes, absolutely

Intellectualize their decision making
I do this retrospectively. I probably don’t intellectualize as much while making my decision but when it comes to justifying a decision afterwards I do so intellectually

Don’t talk much
I talk a lot

Are secretive about themselves
Yes, I generally avoid social media etcetera to retain privacy and sanity of mind (I get very caught up in checking notifications)

Think a lot
Way too much I’d argue

Don’t like « thrills »
I like some thrills.

Less inclined to create social connections
I create social connections with strangers on at least a bi-weekly basis

Extreme focus and concentration
Sometimes, less and less as I age. Post-burnout, very rarely.

Very patient
Incredibly patient. Used to teach at the university, and was known for my patience.

So you have a answer by CT himself?
Neat.

Based on those answers I’d aubergine go with 1A. Pretty hard to say still. But I feel that 1A combined with the traditional Nordic culture of being a bit more introverted and not so easy going could result in a personality such as yours.

Never having choked and handling social situations with relative ease. Being impulsive. Not respecting authority unless earned. Yeah, I’ll lock 1A.

Do tell what CT though about your neurotype. I’ve got to go train now though.

Hey @danteism

A very random question that came to my mind because you named some YouTube guys.

Do you follow athleanx? If so, what do you think of Jeff cavaliere?

2A. Identifying with multiple types speaks towards that trait in 2As about modifying one’s personality and assuming certain roles.

Oh, the chameleon. Damn.
Now that I think of it, I should’ve seen it. My girlfriend is a 2A and depending on her mood and how life has been going she could be mistaken as really any neurotype. But having known her for years definitely makes it easier to tell that she’s a 2A.

I didn’t want to say 2A because I felt that, in a way, it would’ve been an “easy way out”. But I’m gonna learn from this; if someone is confusing as hell he’s probably a 2A.

I don’t know if you can tell but I’m damn salty about this. Everything is always obvious when you look back and have the answer.

I don’t really follow anyone on YouTube or watch that much stuff on there. That being said, I’ve seen a couple of Jeff’s videos. My opinion on him is kind of a mix; if I had to aches and pains and had to follow one guy’s advice, it would be him. But on the other hand, he seems to put out a gigaton of these small, corrective and super specific exercises which can lead majoring in the minor for some people.

But applied in the right amounts and in actual need, his advice is pretty solid.

Hey I feel the same, I’ve spent weeks on this. But I’m glad to finally have an answer!

Do the course man

Training log;

Upper body:

1. Bench
    3x122.5
    2x132.5
    1x142.5
    3x125
    2x135
    1x145

2. Meadows row
    3x8x67.5/side

3. High incline CGB
    3x3x100
    3x3x85

4. Hammer drag curl
    16+7x20
    12+6x20
    10+5x20

5. Standing calf raise
    100 reps with bodyweight only

Notes:

I’m on a roll. I’m adding weight to my presses every session and the top sets are not getting notably harder. Sometimes they even feel easier than previously. 145 on flat is another all time PR for me.

Had to do rows before incline because the rack was in use, didn’t really eat into my performance but it felt odd.

On curls my performance dropped pretty dramatically from set to set, I should probably rotate them.

I did do some cable flies but they felt like fluff work so I’m not even logging them.

Oh, the smith has finally been fixed. Only problem is that the new hooks are pretty horrifying. I’m pretty sure they are not even metal, and they don’t have that much of actual hook to them. They also spin a while lot easier than the old ones. Luckily my training doesn’t rely on the smith machine.

I agree that it’s nice to finally get an answer, not being able to determine your neurotype was frustrating to me, so I can only imagine how frustrating it was to you.

I’m so tempted about this. I mean, to the point that I mention the course daily to my girlfriend. (I don’t admit to secretly hoping to drive her over the line of “just take the damn course, I’ll pay for it”)

Maybe I should just go for it.

I recall you having some money saved up that you were going to invest. This is an investment!

Let’s fucking go

Fucking-A!

Top singles from this week (Thursday - Saturday)

Thursday:
147.5kg Front squat

Friday:
122.5kg pendlay row

Saturday:
135kg paused front squat

I haven’t logged in a couple of day because I’ve been putting nearly all of my free time towards the neurotyping course, so I’ve only been here a couple of times. I’m really liking the course, and I’m like 3/4 through it already, which, with my schedule is quite a lot.

Currently I’m feeling a bit under the weather, hopefully I’m not getting sick.