Natty on Pennies

Oh yeah, @duketheslaya, did you notice how much trap-intensive work the 1A plan included? I wonder if I’ll ever be able to regain a decent amount of balance between traps and delts after finishing it

Oh my god your traps are going to explode :joy:

1 Like

Change of plans

I’m going to do the mock meet this week. That seems like the only really sensible option at this moment - my body is is giving me obvious signs that it needs rest, so I’ll give it rest. I’m going to train with a tad lowered volume for tomorrow and the day after. After that it’ll be a rest day, a neural charge session, the mock meet, and another rest day. (If I don’t change it around again)

While I’m dieting my training will mainly be focused on getting ready for Thib’s plan; I’m going to make sure I’m able to do all of the exercises he has planned out (read: gonna get my shoulders a bit looser to be able to do dips) and I’ll be doing more stuff like external rotations and rear delts so I don’t have to worry about them while pushing it.

So yeah, that’s that.

1 Like

Just pulled a solid single with 240kgs on conventional for a post-tweak PR. I actually don’t remember what my all time PR is as I got lost in the spiral of odd deads for quite a while. And besides, that’s not really comparable as I try to be a bit more careful nowadays

The goal is to hit 165kg on bench (tng) and 250kg on deads on Saturday.

1 Like

Well that didn’t happen. Got 160 halfway up on bench and 250 felt like it was glued to the floor on deads.

So 2x155kg bench and 240kg dead were the best I got in this block.

Sure, I’m pissed, but I’m also happy that I didn’t break anything. Didn’t post about it but I misgrooved a three plate low incline on Monday and ever since my left clavicle/upper chest/front delt area has been feeling a bit fucky. I’m not really feeling it on flat bench but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t break there.

The quad is better though, I can do stuff with no pain, just a tad bit of tightness there.

Next three-ish weeks I’ll be dieting and preparing for my next program, it’s a nice change of pace.

3 Likes

I almost swung for the powerbuilding template during the sale but I really want to try and write my own stuff for a while after the boot camp.

By the way, speaking of CT, diets and the like… did you catch this on the forums: Health Benefits of IF vs Cortisol Problems of Type 3's - #2 by Christian_Thibaudeau ? I think it looks interesting, and I might model my diet after that, after the boot cap has ended. I say diet, but I won’t be dieting though. I’ll have to adjust the days a bit to fit my climbing schedule but other than that it should work just fine. I have a lot of excess skin, and I’ve read that intermittent fasting can encourage the body to use old skin proteins when it’s in autophagy mode. It will also keep me from filling up my adipocytes immediately after the diet…

I guess you’re not joining the T-ransformation 2019 edition?

1 Like

Didn’t notice that but it does look pretty neat. Wouldn’t use it myself but I do see how a diet like that could be beneficial for someone that wants variety and structure or just a good way to implement fasting.

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. Really I wouldn’t expect anything less from you

No, I’m gonna be gaining by the time that comes around. Besides, my body doesn’t really change that much as I usually sail between a rather narrow bf range. (And let’s not kid ourselves, I ain’t posting pictures for a while)

Day one of mini-diet

So, for the next three-ish weeks my training day (Mon-Sat) macros will be;

2050 Calories
290g protein
80g carbs
65g fat

On rest days (Sundays) they’ll be
1690 Calories
250g protein
30g carbs
65g fat

Those values do not include vegetables or fish oil

You know, I like to show my self-hatred through diet. But really, three weeks is quite a short time so being aggressive is not a bad idea.

As mentioned, training wise I’ll be preparing for my next program; using all movement patterns needed, doing structural balance work, getting my mobility up and so on. Six days a week on a push/pull/legs split with rather low volume. I’ll post a week of training so you get a better idea.

Morning weight was 97.2kgs today. I’ve actually lost a bit in the last few weeks. That’s odd.

2 Likes

Why the cut? Just a lil something something before Christmas?

1 Like

I routinely do mini-cuts to keep bf in check and to make sure my insulin sensitivity is doing well. It also serves as a mental (and financial) break from eating a whole lot of food

2 Likes

I think I’ll adopt that mini cut thing next year

1 Like

It’s a great way to keep anabolic resistance at bay

1 Like

I highly recommend doing it, it’s great

Exactly.

Training log;
Mini cut;

Upper body push:

1. Incline bench overload
    Up to 6s with 170kgs

2. Paused incline bench
    3x4x110kgs

3. Dips
    3x6xBW

4. DH style Skullcrusher
    2x8x45kgs

5. Side laterals
    2x12x17.5kgs

Stretches

Notes:
Went in pretty much straight from bed, kinda liked it. Training with the elderly group again due to the time.

The incline bench is a notch higher than it was last block, as you may notice. (Low incline vs incline). It’s a neat movement when done with a pause, but I still dislike the unracking part when u don’t have a spotter. It’s borderline dangerous how far backwards the bar is.

Started dips with just bodyweight. Despite, or maybe because my shoulder was feeling bad I actually managed to make the dips feel great. I’ve never really done dips consistently as they’ve always felt a bit off for me but I’ll start adding weight/reps slowly now.

Funny thing is, while doing reps with 110kgs on paused incline bench raised some eyebrows amongst the seniors, it was the bodyweight dips that made them tell me “how can somebody do such stuff”.

DH skullcrushers refer to the way Dusty Hanshaw does them; it’s kind of a hybrid between JM Press and skullcrushers. You can go to his instagram to see the exact thing, but it’s basically a JM Press done to forehead level.

Finished up with some lateral raises and stretches.

The training portion of this session took 26 minutes. 30 if you count the general warm up in. So not exactly a long workout, but luckily the effectiveness of a session is not counted in minutes.

1 Like

Depends on the type of session :wink:

1 Like

Amount of broken furniture is another good way of gauging effectiveness

1 Like

Or how high up the curtains the high tide mark is !!

1 Like

@duketheslaya Seeing as how important CT has and continues to be to T-nation, him generously answering all kinds of questions on his part of the forum (not just one’s related to his specific articles), and that him, his family and the other employees at Thibarmy make their livelihood in part by selling that program I sincerely hope hope that you reached out to CT to let him know that it is being freely distributed somewhere to give them a chance to have it taken down.

And if you haven’t yet, please do.

The sad reality of the internet and the world is someone will always try to take advantage of other people. You’ll find that pretty much everything gets copied and put out for free, any book or movie etc you could find online with ease for free. You get it taken down and another will pop up again in it’s place

And this is what? An excuse for inaction?