T Nation

National Spelling Bee Champ

This kid should get some friends…I bet his moms crazy

http://www.break.com/index/spelling-bee-champion-on-cnn3.html

Yowza…!

Better work on those social skills!

(Probably would make a GREAT Internet Poster!)

Mufasa

He needs to cut.

-Gendou

[quote]wicked08 wrote:

http://www.break.com/index/spelling-bee-champion-on-cnn3.html[/quote]

My roommate’s away message about this character: “this kid will never have sex without paying for it.”

So I went into this thinking you guys were pricks, and that it was just some little kid nervous about being on TV.

My bad. Kid’s all kinds of messed.

Kudo’s to the hott chick for not acting too weirded out. That definitely didn’t go as smoothly as she planned.

Kudo’s to the KID, though, for taking the spelling question too damn seriously.

Kinda strange having that sandwich handy as a prop, but funny piece nonetheless.

Man, that kid has one weird voice.

Award for most awkward interview goes to…

But seriously, is that what serial killers start out as? Spelling Bee Champs?

HAHAHA!1

I would have totally hung out with this kid if he went to my school.

:slight_smile:

That would have gone a lot better if the woman hadn’t asked almost entirely yes/no questions. Just from watching that video and knowing of the kid’s ability with spelling, I’d be willing to bet he suffers from Asperger’s syndrome or some other mild form of high functioning autism (not that I’m in any way, shape, or form qualified to give such a diagnosis, just a few things point to it there).

Most people with such afflictions suffer from a high degree of social ineptitude and often times don’t “get” conversation. A lot of them won’t volunteer information when not directly asked, so yes/no questions only get yes/no answers, no elaboration.

Notice how he got interested and opened up in his speech when the interviewer offered him a word to spell, i.e. entered into his domain of interest.

He is pretty much on par with every other kid I’ve ever met that is/was home schooled.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
wicked08 wrote:

http://www.break.com/index/spelling-bee-champion-on-cnn3.html

My roommate’s away message about this character: “this kid will never have sex without paying for it.”[/quote]

Your roomate has an way message for him? He might be with the same girl the kid is.

You should give him a break. I heard an interview with him on NPR and he sounded next to normal; he was able to express himself very well… NPR has far better interviewers than that lady could ever hope to be. Now of course his voice is weird but remember he is an early teenager and probably hitting puberty about now…and a lot of kids sound funny and squeaky at that age.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
He is pretty much on par with every other kid I’ve ever met that is/was home schooled.[/quote]

Hey moron – I suppose you never saw “dorks” or “nerds” in public school? Public, Private, or Home school you will find the gamut.

By the way – if you look into it you will find plenty of home schooled Olympians that would kick your ass.

They should have had him spell I-C-K-Y-N-P-P and comment on his fortunetelling skills.