National ID Card

Remember the big stink months and months ago about National ID Cards? Remember how everyone got upset about it, so it just dropped off the national radar?

Well, it’s back, but conveniently appended to an emergency military spending bill so that we don’t have to deal with pesky things like national debate on the issue. Here’s the link:

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+affect+you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html?tag=nefd.lede

Yeah, ain’t it grand?
I’m so glad we have republican control of 2 of the 3 branches. They’re so careful to look out for individual rights.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Remember the big stink months and months ago about National ID Cards? Remember how everyone got upset about it, so it just dropped off the national radar?

Well, it’s back, but conveniently appended to an emergency military spending bill so that we don’t have to deal with pesky things like national debate on the issue. Here’s the link:

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+affect+you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html?tag=nefd.lede[/quote]

Like I said, he’s the anti-Christ.

nephorm,

I know that people get fairly exercised about the idea of a national ID card, but don’t you think we pretty well have one, just not with a picture on it?

I’m referring to Social Security Cards of course – you can’t do much of anything without a Social Security Number, and all sorts of your personal information is attached.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
I’m referring to Social Security Cards of course – you can’t do much of anything without a Social Security Number, and all sorts of your personal information is attached.[/quote]

I agree, but the reason we are in that situation is that the American public was lied to. IIRC, we were told that we wouldn’t be required to give out those numbers for filling out non-SS related paperwork… yet government and private agencies alike routinely require you to provide them with it. And supposedly, a business or private person shouldn’t be able to get information using your SS number unless they have authorization. In theory.

One of my main concerns here is that the dept of Homeland Security shows a high interest in using RFID, which would allow remote sensors to read the card while it is still in your wallet. This troubles me. Imagine having a GPS on you that allows anyone to track exactly where you are at any time (although technically, many cell phones can be used in this way already).

Already in the UK, they have a plan to put RFID tags on automobiles with automatic readers placed along the highways. Ostensibly, this is just to catch speeders (in itself insidious); but it also means that if you are in a car in the UK, the government would know exactly where you are.

Further, the card will/could have all sorts of additional information in it… effectively allowing the federal government to create a national database through private businesses. Every time you walk into the grocery store, if they have a reader, they can get all sorts of nice information on you. No need for that frequent shopper card now, buddy, just swipe that national ID (or worse, you don’t even have to take it out of your pocket).

I encourage everyone to read up on RFID… this technology was developed, in part, to make shoplifting harder… so that they could easily track merchandise as it moved in a store. Think carefully if you want something like that on your body at all times.

I would think anyone familiar with the Bible or Revelations specifically would be a little uneasy about this. It amazes me how the “religious right” seems to be letting it slide simply because of who proposed it.

Conveniently jammed in an emergency military spending bill…cute

It gets better.

In 3 years time we’ll hear how people who voted against this voted against funding the troops (if anyone even bothered to try).

We’ll have to listen to “it’s a fact” rainjack tell us how anyone who could vote against the troops is obviously a whacko liberal.

Oh well.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I would think anyone familiar with the Bible or Revelations specifically would be a little uneasy about this. It amazes me how the “religious right” seems to be letting it slide simply because of who proposed it. [/quote]

Actually, the Religious Right as such probably is scared of this – they always seem to be forgetting the line (and please don’t ask me for a reference) that says something to the effect that no one will be able to predict the 2nd Coming, so don’t try.

The card itself doesn’t bother me. The RFID thing definitely does.

The other thing that should really disturb everyone involved is that this was done in this way to bypass national debate. The last time the House tried to pass this act, there was a huge backlash. It is unacceptable when laws are pushed through the back door this way, and I really wish we could have some sort of rules in place that keep unscrupulous legislators from adding contentious riders onto otherwise innocuous bills.

is there a way to stop this? petition or something? i mean c’mon, who would want this sort of thing besides people scared of their own shaddow who need the governmtent to wipe their asses?

tragedy like 9/11 and other events are being used to take away our freedom. that is horse shit. the terrorist are winning by making us mess ourselves everytime something happens (or doesnt happen, code orange???)

[quote]doogie wrote:
The card itself doesn’t bother me. The RFID thing definitely does.[/quote]

Wrap your card in aluminum foil before putting it in your wallet.

The tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorists had the right idea, it’s simply not your head you need to cover.

[quote]UB07 wrote:
is there a way to stop this? petition or something? i mean c’mon, who would want this sort of thing besides people scared of their own shaddow who need the governmtent to wipe their asses?
[/quote]

A letter writing campaign to your representatives might be a start.

Put up protests on your webpages, your blogs…

Remind your elected officials that you’re supposed to be the “Land Of The Free™.”

Ultimately, let them put back the “One nation under God” in the pledge, because they seem intent on replacing it with “One nation under surveillance.”

If push comes to shove, we’ll send our secret Canadian Stealth Invasion force to topple your government. Most operatives are already in place.

I think it’s sad, this is a raw deal not only for civilians but for the troops too.

People who vote for these kinds of bills should be kicked out of office for trying to setup the people against the troops

[quote]pookie wrote:
Wrap your card in aluminum foil before putting it in your wallet.
[/quote]

He’s right, I forgot to mention that above. Of course, if you’re required to pull the card out for various reasons, aluminum foil won’t help you.

The legitimacy of carpet bagging this through with military funding is suspect, as are the personal privacy issues, but I am surprised nobody has brought up any positives.

Maybe no one is from the southwest, but illegal immigration is a real problem down here. The net drain on services is astounding, by some counts the net cost to Californians is $8billion per year. That is factoring in any gain cheaper labor might bring.

The id card may not be the answer, but stricter enforcement of immigration issues should be pursued and making identification tougher to copy and a prerequisite for welfare, services, etc. is a way of enforcing the laws.

[quote]Watson2K5 wrote:
I think it’s sad, this is a raw deal not only for civilians but for the troops too.

People who vote for these kinds of bills should be kicked out of office for trying to setup the people against the troops[/quote]

This is a House Bill, if it passes it will go to the Senate. Virtually all Democrats and quite a few Republicans will vote against it, assuming it makes it out of committee.

But if the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee is a current Senator, they will be viciously attacked for having “voted against funding for our troups in Iraq”. No one will remember, or choose to recall, the fact that someone may have voted against it because of this item. Fox News, and all of their boobs who post on political forums, will intentionally ignore, rather than report, the facts.

If that sounds made up, you only have to look back to last year and the attacks on John Kerry. He voted against a similar spending bill because of stupid and unrelated riders; he was right, and he was made to pay for it.

IIRC, jeffy was one of the most vocal and incredulous voices on this forum at that time. (!!!)

[quote]usdsig wrote:
The legitimacy of carpet bagging this through with military funding is suspect, as are the personal privacy issues, but I am surprised nobody has brought up any positives.

Maybe no one is from the southwest, but illegal immigration is a real problem down here. The net drain on services is astounding, by some counts the net cost to Californians is $8billion per year. That is factoring in any gain cheaper labor might bring.[/quote]

If this truly seems like a solution to illegal immigration to you, I am amazed. Once again, fear is being used to take away your freedoms. I truly doubt illegal immigrants are worth this and the potential long term harm it can cause. Some of you seriously need to stop only thinking of right now.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
He’s right, I forgot to mention that above. Of course, if you’re required to pull the card out for various reasons, aluminum foil won’t help you.[/quote]

Presumably, if you’re having to pull it out, it’s for ID reasons. Whether they ID you by human or RFID receptor is moot at that point.

At least, they can’t track your every move.

I’m sure though, that some criminals will lend their cards to a friend to establish an alibi while they’re out, cardless, commiting crimes.

Implanting the RFID chip in one of your bones would take care of both those problems.