T Nation

Narrow Grip Replacement


#1

I tore my AC joint a while back and so doing narrow bench puts my shoulder in a more vulnerable position than my usual grip would. Is there any effective replacement for this? I'm on week 5 of Cube and have just replaced it with Floor Press and dumbbell tricep ext. Should this suffice or is there another kind of pressing that will build the triceps for becnhing? Dips are out of the equation too.


#2

Give narrow grip spoto presses for higher reps and building into lower reps a try.

It should reduce the risk on your shoulder because you are stopping shy of your chest, you are using less weight since you are doing higher reps, and you are keeping all your pressing muscles flexed throughout the entire ROM which was makes you use even less weight but still get a very good training effect from them.

Just adjust the ROM to stopping an inch above where you feel any kind of discomfort.

I am not a doctor or a physical therapist so take this advice with a grain of salt.


#3

I would disagree with spoto presses, the joint is going to remain under tension still. If you actually tore your AC, like had an MRI and a doctor said that. That should be your main focus of fixing, talk to people who have had that injury before and see what helped them


#4

[quote]kjmont wrote:
Give narrow grip spoto presses for higher reps and building into lower reps a try.

It should reduce the risk on your shoulder because you are stopping shy of your chest, you are using less weight since you are doing higher reps, and you are keeping all your pressing muscles flexed throughout the entire ROM which was makes you use even less weight but still get a very good training effect from them.

Just adjust the ROM to stopping an inch above where you feel any kind of discomfort.

I am not a doctor or a physical therapist so take this advice with a grain of salt.[/quote]

Excuse me, I don’t mean to hijack thread, what happened to your log? Long time since I’ve seen you post here


#5

Dumbbell presses with a Neutral Grip, maybe on a slight slight incline? Keep your elbows tucked to your sides and press the dumbbells straight up, don’t bring them together at the top.


#6

[quote]cparker wrote:
I would disagree with spoto presses, the joint is going to remain under tension still. If you actually tore your AC, like had an MRI and a doctor said that. That should be your main focus of fixing, talk to people who have had that injury before and see what helped them
[/quote]

I didn’t get an MRI, however I did get an ultra sound and x-ray. Visibly you can see that the collar bone is offset a little bit also. This was about 8 months ago. I started benching again around month 5. Do y’all think pin presses could do anything? And I’ll give the spoto presses a try today. With bench days I take it set by set, so if anything starts to hurt, I stop and just do something else.


#7

Everyone is a little different, but pin presses put a lot of stress on my shoulders.

Maybe board presses to limit the range of motion, and keep tension on the tris?


#8

Board presses sound smart to me. Go see a doctor that practices active release technique, get a few massages and so on if you cant get in for an mri


#9

Ended up not doing the spoto presses today. Instead I used a board for the narrow grip. Still messes with my shoulders. It’s almost as if I can feel the joint moving around inside. Hard to explain. Something that I found to work well was narrow push-ups using a band for resistence. That got a good burn in the tri’s


#10

JM Press. There’s not a lot shoulder flexion compared to regular close grip. Very strong emphasis on the triceps here.


#11

Looks like it would work. I’ll definitely give it a try next time I bench. I appreciate all the suggestions and advice everyone


#12

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:

[quote]kjmont wrote:
Give narrow grip spoto presses for higher reps and building into lower reps a try.

It should reduce the risk on your shoulder because you are stopping shy of your chest, you are using less weight since you are doing higher reps, and you are keeping all your pressing muscles flexed throughout the entire ROM which was makes you use even less weight but still get a very good training effect from them.

Just adjust the ROM to stopping an inch above where you feel any kind of discomfort.

I am not a doctor or a physical therapist so take this advice with a grain of salt.[/quote]

Excuse me, I don’t mean to hijack thread, what happened to your log? Long time since I’ve seen you post here
[/quote]

Sorry man I forgot to respond, and it’s nothing to do with the site or the company, but more so with the community of posters on here. In my own personal experience this site just wasn’t very welcoming or helpful during the times I needed help the most. Everyone tries to act too important or too seasoned on here to hear the questions or opinions of younger and less developed lifters. If you ask a question that had been answered in the past 20 years, you’re deemed a noob and flamed. And if you try something new, man forget it…I experienced all of this first hand and as a result I wasted almost 5 years now trying to “do right” by all the top dogs on here. I’ve even seen some of my ideas get immediately rejected, only to see a post by a more experienced guy months later claiming the idea as their own and being praised. Hell I’ve even been homeless for extended periods, posting on a library computer or my phone trying to ask questions about how I can continue to progress given my grim circumstances and I was still flamed.

Because of this I had to leave and develop my own confidence in both myself as a man and my programming to be able to come back on here and follow what I believe works.

Sorry for derailing and the rant lol


#13

[quote]kjmont wrote:

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:

[quote]kjmont wrote:
Give narrow grip spoto presses for higher reps and building into lower reps a try.

It should reduce the risk on your shoulder because you are stopping shy of your chest, you are using less weight since you are doing higher reps, and you are keeping all your pressing muscles flexed throughout the entire ROM which was makes you use even less weight but still get a very good training effect from them.

Just adjust the ROM to stopping an inch above where you feel any kind of discomfort.

I am not a doctor or a physical therapist so take this advice with a grain of salt.[/quote]

Excuse me, I don’t mean to hijack thread, what happened to your log? Long time since I’ve seen you post here
[/quote]

Sorry man I forgot to respond, and it’s nothing to do with the site or the company, but more so with the community of posters on here. In my own personal experience this site just wasn’t very welcoming or helpful during the times I needed help the most. Everyone tries to act too important or too seasoned on here to hear the questions or opinions of younger and less developed lifters. If you ask a question that had been answered in the past 20 years, you’re deemed a noob and flamed. And if you try something new, man forget it…I experienced all of this first hand and as a result I wasted almost 5 years now trying to “do right” by all the top dogs on here. I’ve even seen some of my ideas get immediately rejected, only to see a post by a more experienced guy months later claiming the idea as their own and being praised. Hell I’ve even been homeless for extended periods, posting on a library computer or my phone trying to ask questions about how I can continue to progress given my grim circumstances and I was still flamed.

Because of this I had to leave and develop my own confidence in both myself as a man and my programming to be able to come back on here and follow what I believe works.

Sorry for derailing and the rant lol[/quote]

Exactly. If some one asks a question people should just answer it and not just respond with ‘‘Go do research.’’ That really grinds my gears.


#14

[quote]kjmont wrote:
Sorry man I forgot to respond, and it’s nothing to do with the site or the company, but more so with the community of posters on here. In my own personal experience this site just wasn’t very welcoming or helpful during the times I needed help the most. Everyone tries to act too important or too seasoned on here to hear the questions or opinions of younger and less developed lifters. If you ask a question that had been answered in the past 20 years, you’re deemed a noob and flamed. And if you try something new, man forget it…I experienced all of this first hand and as a result I wasted almost 5 years now trying to “do right” by all the top dogs on here. I’ve even seen some of my ideas get immediately rejected, only to see a post by a more experienced guy months later claiming the idea as their own and being praised. Hell I’ve even been homeless for extended periods, posting on a library computer or my phone trying to ask questions about how I can continue to progress given my grim circumstances and I was still flamed.

Because of this I had to leave and develop my own confidence in both myself as a man and my programming to be able to come back on here and follow what I believe works.

Sorry for derailing and the rant lol[/quote]

It’s good that you’re back and you’re definitely welcome to make a change. I agree with what you stated and similarly I wasn’t very active on the forums until I had more experience. Even though I read forum topics often it was still difficult to figure out what was most important and what applied to me. I learned so much just following elite athletes/coaches such as Ben Rice, Dan Green, Michael Tuscherer, Chad Smith, Greg Nuckols, Chris Duffin, Richard Hawthorne, etc. That’s where the knowledge is but it also costs money to get personal help from them, lol.


#15

[quote]Aidan76543 wrote:
Ended up not doing the spoto presses today. Instead I used a board for the narrow grip. Still messes with my shoulders. It’s almost as if I can feel the joint moving around inside. Hard to explain. Something that I found to work well was narrow push-ups using a band for resistence. That got a good burn in the tri’s[/quote]

With my separated AC joint (10yrs)the popping, grinding, movement has not gone away. And the bone visibly pressing the skin is just something to learn to live with. Keep trying different things that you can do and drive on man, strength will come back.