T Nation

Naps and Testosterone Levels?

I know that T levels are higher in the morning when you wake up, what about after taking a good nap? I figure the basic sleep cycle is roughly 2 hours, give or take a few minutes, would it be as good to take a nap after work and go lift around 7:30 P.M. or get up before God does every morning and be in the gym at 6:00 A.M.?

I’m not a morning person and I’m trying to keep my lifting schedule consistent with my BJJ class, but if I’m really missing out on results I can adjust. Thanks.

Not everyone does well training early. It takes the CNS a couple hours after we wake up to be fully functional. Not sure if that applies to naps or not. At least a couple coaches suggest being up for at least 3 hours before training.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
I know that T levels are higher in the morning when you wake up, what about after taking a good nap? I figure the basic sleep cycle is roughly 2 hours, give or take a few minutes, would it be as good to take a nap after work and go lift around 7:30 P.M. or get up before God does every morning and be in the gym at 6:00 A.M.?

I’m not a morning person and I’m trying to keep my lifting schedule consistent with my BJJ class, but if I’m really missing out on results I can adjust. Thanks.[/quote]

I think your better off going at night or in the afternoon…a good nap during the day is great, whenever u can catch some Z’s take them…also, taking a quick 20-30 minute nap after working out, is shown to significanly increase IGF, which is a great thing! get after it, good luck

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
I think your better off going at night or in the afternoon…a good nap during the day is great, whenever u can catch some Z’s take them…also, taking a quick 20-30 minute nap after working out, is shown to significanly increase IGF, which is a great thing! get after it, good luck [/quote]

Whats IGF / why is it good?

Also if you think about it essentially its better to have High levels OUT of the gym while the repair and adaptation process is going on not while in the gym the gym is really just the place for the stimulus to do the damage. Its out that the real tissue and protein turnover is needed etc.

Phill

Oh forgot,
But yes naps are good.

Phill

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
IronWarrior34 wrote:
I think your better off going at night or in the afternoon…a good nap during the day is great, whenever u can catch some Z’s take them…also, taking a quick 20-30 minute nap after working out, is shown to significanly increase IGF, which is a great thing! get after it, good luck

Whats IGF / why is it good?

[/quote]

IGF-1 = Insule Growth Factor…IGF helps keep nitrogen retention, protein synthesis, increased muscle cells, and growth of new muscle fiber. IGF greatly helps muslce growth put simply…its naturally occuring, and napping helps promote more of it

That’s good to hear, because I really don’t have any other hobbies besides training and some video games/guitar here and there. It wouldn’t be unusual at all for me to take a nap, go lift, come home and grab something to eat and then go right back to bed.

Yea thats what i do up at college sometime…i usually dont go to the gym til night time, but ill go to class in the morning, and come back and nap for about an hour or so…its great, and you can definitley feel a difference atfer the nap…like i said, whenever you can catch some time to sleep or just relax, take it

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
IGF-1 = Insule Growth Factor…IGF helps keep nitrogen retention, protein synthesis, increased muscle cells, and growth of new muscle fiber. IGF greatly helps muslce growth put simply…its naturally occuring, and napping helps promote more of it
[/quote]

Thanks