T Nation

Naps and Eating to Bulk Up?

i read somewhere chinese sumo wrestlers eat tons of rice n other foods then take a nap to maintain their weights and gain weight. should a conventional strength trainer tryin to bulk up do such things cause i take a nap or two at work everyday after i eat and it seems my recovery has been better lately, any opinions?

Dude, if you have a fast metabolism and are very active, sometimes eating big meals before sleep may be just what is needed to actually continue to make progress. Don’t let obese barely active people set the standard for what YOU do to see progress.

These guys?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Dude, if you have a fast metabolism and are very active, sometimes eating big meals before sleep may be just what is needed to actually continue to make progress. Don’t let obese barely active people set the standard for what YOU do to see progress.[/quote]

yeah thats basically what i was asking would be legit. im just unsure because i thought all systems shut down as u start to sleep including digestion. id eat my 2nd breakfast n take a nap at bout 10 to 11 then eat lunch at 12 nap til 1.30 and one last time at 3.30

[quote]diamonddelts59 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Dude, if you have a fast metabolism and are very active, sometimes eating big meals before sleep may be just what is needed to actually continue to make progress. Don’t let obese barely active people set the standard for what YOU do to see progress.

yeah thats basically what i was asking would be legit. im just unsure because i thought all systems shut down as u start to sleep including digestion. id eat my 2nd breakfast n take a nap at bout 10 to 11 then eat lunch at 12 nap til 1.30 and one last time at 3.30[/quote]

man your lucky you can take all those naps throughout the day :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to start following a program where I lift after school (12 in the afternoon) come home and eat a HUGE meal, then nap for a couple hours. Wake up do some homework, go to bed and do it all over again. Then work all day on weekends.

Hoping to Grow! :stuck_out_tongue:

Being that the body grows and repairs when you rest, it is a great idea to add naps throughout the day, most just can’t fit them in. You require food to grow. (duh I know)

I always have something in my gut before I sleep and have no problems. The body does shut down but not completely.

I’m pretty much saying that I like the idea. lol

Gerdy

Professor X wrote:

yeah thats basically what i was asking would be legit. im just unsure because i thought all systems shut down as u start to sleep including digestion. id eat my 2nd breakfast n take a nap at bout 10 to 11 then eat lunch at 12 nap til 1.30 and one last time at 3.30[/quote]

I do have a fast metabolism, especially when I was younger, and naps were great for recharging my mind, especially.

I HAVE to eat before I go to bed, or I can’t sleep.

What I was told about that was the body requires a certain number of calories a day for maintenance. So, if you ate the required amount of calories for maintenance before bed, you’re not going to be needing any more, and your body will slow digestion as you sleep. Any more calories, and you gain fat. This is for the average person.

Now, if you’re traing hard, and eating pretty clean, then you will need extra calories to build muscle. If you need the extra calories and your body needs it, then it will digest it, even as you sleep.

What’s important is eating the proper foods, getting the proper fats and eating regularly. If you have a decent metabolism, then drink a protein shake in the middle of the night.

Be consistent, and watch your body composition, then make changes if needed if you start to put on fat.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

Professor X wrote:

Waking up with your stomach growling pretty much demonstrates that digestion does not stop while you sleep. I wouldn’t eat a big steak dinner before going to bed, but I always eat before sleeping and then again when I wake up in the middle of the night.

I don’t get up to do it, but I wake up once every night and when I do I eat a bit. My stomach is always empty the next morning.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
diamonddelts59 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

yeah thats basically what i was asking would be legit. im just unsure because i thought all systems shut down as u start to sleep including digestion. id eat my 2nd breakfast n take a nap at bout 10 to 11 then eat lunch at 12 nap til 1.30 and one last time at 3.30

man your lucky you can take all those naps throughout the day :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to start following a program where I lift after school (12 in the afternoon) come home and eat a HUGE meal, then nap for a couple hours. Wake up do some homework, go to bed and do it all over again. Then work all day on weekends.

Being that the body grows and repairs when you rest, it is a great idea to add naps throughout the day, most just can’t fit them in. You require food to grow. (duh I know)

I always have something in my gut before I sleep and have no problems. The body does shut down but not completely.

Gerdy[/quote]

hey dude i remember you saying you were gonna try DC training…just wondering how that went for ya?

i think the more naps and food the better. i wish i could just take naps at will but i usually get enough sleep at night to where im fine the whole day.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
diamonddelts59 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Gerdy

hey dude i remember you saying you were gonna try DC training…just wondering how that went for ya?[/quote]

I haven’t switched over to that routine yet. I stole some ideas, I’ve been training calves the DC way for a few months now, they are far from cows yet but are on their way :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s still the ace up my sleeve. I’m still making progress on my current program. I’m planning on going DC eventually but just haven’t done it yet.

DG

If someone has a fast metabolism it it okay to eat carbs and protein before bed? It’s usually recommended to have a protein meal as the last meal.

Do a search for the chanko diet (on T nation) there were a few articles on how to apply the idea to Bodybuilding.

I personally like to get at least 1 nap in a day, even if its only like 20 or 30 minutes. It completely recharges my body. By taking time out of my day to rest, I can actually get more done later cuz I have energy and what not. But that’s pretty common sense, isn’t it?

I also don’t usually get enough sleep at night because I am a total night-owl, so I try to catch up during the day.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I wouldn’t eat a big steak dinner before going to bed[/quote]

Why the hell not?

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:
If someone has a fast metabolism it it okay to eat carbs and protein before bed? It’s usually recommended to have a protein meal as the last meal.[/quote]

if your objective is to gain.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

well if this topic is about sleeping and recovering, eatin carbs before bed blunts GH release over night due to the rise in insulin. GH is an excellent recovery hormone (which doesnt really need to be said) so before beds gotta be a protein/fat meal…

i usually take 40-50 gms casein in 16oz. water or milk with 4 tbs peanut butter with 3g leucine and 10g glutamine. oh and 4 fish oil caps. my usual routine is get home from the gym around 7:30-8 40g whey with 75-80g carb then an hour later a big meal with some sort of meat, right b4 bed the above mentioned shake.

i agree with alteredstate it depends how much time b4 sleep u eat it because i have bad gas next day too

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
I wouldn’t eat a big steak dinner before going to bed

Why the hell not?
[/quote]

I wouldn’t. Maybe others can, but I don’t sleep too well and yes I get nightmares. I wake up with my eyes swollen and burning. It seems to be mainly large amounts of meats that do me like this. Other foods seem to be OK.

well if this topic is about sleeping and recovering, eatin carbs before bed blunts GH release over night due to the rise in insulin.

GH is an excellent recovery hormone (which doesnt really need to be said) so before beds gotta be a protein/fat meal… i usually take 40-50 gms casein in 16oz. water or milk with 4 tbs peanut butter with 3g leucine and 10g glutamine. oh and 4 fish oil caps.

my usual routine is get home from the gym around 7:30-8 40g whey with 75-80g carb then an hour later a big meal with some sort of meat, right b4 bed the above mentioned shake. i agree with alteredstate it depends how much time b4 sleep u eat it because i have bad gas next day too[/quote]

I swear, at this point, I am surprised some of you don’t know that your time could be a little better spent doing something other than worrying about minor Gh secretions. Your goal should be to eat in whatever way produces results for your own body.

If some skinny guy with a lightening quick metabolism actually stops eating carbs at night because of Gh release even though that may be exactly what his body needs, he would be doing himself a disservice.