Names for Dextrose

I live near a BulkBarn, and a guy who works the local supp shop said they sell dextrose there (as well as whey protein). I looked around and didn’t find anything that would tell me straight up dextrose.

What I did find was table sugars, brown sugar, cane sugar, etc, etc, etc.

I’m wondering. Since it seems to be listed in a non-dummies kind of way, what other names could simple carbs like dextrose come in? Like, is cane sugar the same as/similar to dextrose?

Cane sugar, table sugar and brown sugar are all the same thing, sucrose. I buy my bulk dextrose at a winemaking and brewing store and it’s called “Pure Corn Sugar” but it also says “dextrose” on it and I can tell visually that it is not maltodextrin, which has a different consistency. For whatever reason, maltodextrin is much more common.

[quote]Battle Pope wrote:
I live near a BulkBarn, and a guy who works the local supp shop said they sell dextrose there (as well as whey protein). I looked around and didn’t find anything that would tell me straight up dextrose.

What I did find was table sugars, brown sugar, cane sugar, etc, etc, etc.

I’m wondering. Since it seems to be listed in a non-dummies kind of way, what other names could simple carbs like dextrose come in? Like, is cane sugar the same as/similar to dextrose?[/quote]

Umm Glucose?

I call it dextrizzle… but thats just me.

Dextrose = sugar. As are all the following code names, which are used to hide the truth…

Barley Malt
Brown Rise Syrup
Corn Syrup
Evaporated Cane Juice Invert
Fructose
Fruit Juice
Galactose
Glucose
Granular Fruit Grape Juice Concentrate
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Honey
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Maple Syrup
Molassas
Organic Cane Juice
Sorghum
Sucrose
Turbinado

[quote]JimDoerflinger wrote:
Dextrose = sugar. As are all the following code names, which are used to hide the truth…

Barley Malt
Brown Rise Syrup
Corn Syrup
Fructose
Fruit Juice
Galactose
Glucose
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Honey
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Maple Syrup
Molassas
Organic Cane Juice
Sorghum
Sucrose
Turbinado[/quote]

No, those are not the same things. To say that high fructose corn syrup and glucose are the same thing would be very inaccurate. Yes they are all considered sugars but no, they are not equal in the way that our bodies deal with them.

100% agree, they are not all created equally.

Just said they are all forms of sugar… which they are.

Not commenting on how the body handles them. You can spin it however you want, but in the end, its sugar.

Corn sugar.

That’s fine that you categorized them as what they are. My point was simply that you should be careful voicing information in such a generalized manner. This guy may not do any follow up research and think that the sugar in a soda is the same as dextrose, which it is not. If I told a kid that whales and people were both mammals without any elaboration, he might jump into the fuckin ocean to be with his fellow mammals and get eaten by a shark. I’m clearly exagerating here for humors sake, but I think you get my point.

Naa man I feel ya.

Instead of jumping my bones, how about you further inform him of the numerous types of sugar, how the body processes them, which he should look into… and so on…

Just throwing out the portion of the question I was able to answer. Names of sugars… There isn’t much more I need to know, since I don’t take in any :wink:

[quote]JimDoerflinger wrote:

Barley Malt
Brown Rise Syrup
Corn Syrup
Fructose
Fruit Juice
Galactose
Glucose
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Honey
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Maple Syrup
Molassas
Organic Cane Juice
Sorghum
Sucrose
Turbinado[/quote]
LOL
What is the truth these “code names” are hiding?

Listing off all those sugars was pretty pointless…

So thanks for that.

Buy your dextrose in bulk online, it’s pretty cheap if you know where to get it.

I get a malto/dextro/waxy maize starch blend.

Dextrose could be listed as glucose or d-glucose (those are the two most likely). If nearly anything else, it isn’t dextrose, unless it’s got those written somewhere else on the packet in small writing (see above poster).