Name the Lift

so I was tinkering on shoulder day with raises. I saw a guy doing laterals a different way. His hands were in front touching his thighs. Palms outward with a slight bend. From there he raised the DB to the full 90 degree bend and with no hesitation brought them to overhead touching one another. Under control he brought them back to his quads. I tried this move and felt it in the lateral head and traps. Does anyone have a name for it so I can research it some?

Dont have a name but the more past parellel you raise, the less stress there will be on the delt. If working delts is priority, constant tension at the top and bottom range of movement is key, ie, not too low, not too high.

I just assumed past parallel would draw off the delts and more on the traps and small stabilizer muscles

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
I just assumed past parallel would draw off the delts and more on the traps and small stabilizer muscles [/quote]

Pretty much. Ya

Hmm, dumbbell muscle snatch with overhead press combo perhaps?

was it this?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
was it this?

Shelby has me doing these right now and omg do these things burn

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Does anyone have a name for it so I can research it some?[/quote]
Um… overhead lateral raise?

Arnold and plenty of old school guys used to bring front raises overhead. Some Olympic weightlifters do overhead laterals as accessory/stability/support work. I believe Thibaudeau has talked about using high-rep overhead laterals as a kind shoulder pre-hab. And yep, going overhead will bring the traps more into play. That’s partly the point of it.

[quote]eatliftsleep wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
was it this?

Shelby has me doing these right now and omg do these things burn[/quote]
Ha, no doubt. 5 pounds has never felt so heavy after just a few reps. I like to call them Tetris raises because the path of movement reminds me of those two zig-zag Tetris pieces.

Go to 11:45 in the below video.
I believe thats the exercise you are talking about.
By the way, Richard Jones had a great body. I wish he didnt retire so early.

Dont have a name but the more past parellel you raise, the less stress there will be on the delt. If working delts is priority, constant tension at the top and bottom range of movement is key, ie, not too low, not too high.[/quote]

How do you keep tension at the bottom? It seems I start to feel it about 1/3rd of the way up but when arms are at my sides, I really don’t feel anything.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:

Dont have a name but the more past parellel you raise, the less stress there will be on the delt. If working delts is priority, constant tension at the top and bottom range of movement is key, ie, not too low, not too high.[/quote]

How do you keep tension at the bottom? It seems I start to feel it about 1/3rd of the way up but when arms are at my sides, I really don’t feel anything.[/quote]

Youre lowering the weight too much

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]BigEasy24 wrote:
Does anyone have a name for it so I can research it some?[/quote]
Um… overhead lateral raise?

Arnold and plenty of old school guys used to bring front raises overhead. Some Olympic weightlifters do overhead laterals as accessory/stability/support work. I believe Thibaudeau has talked about using high-rep overhead laterals as a kind shoulder pre-hab. And yep, going overhead will bring the traps more into play. That’s partly the point of it.

[/quote]

Ya my first time trying them i grabbed like 35lb dbs and was like… Nope this isnt happening. I ended up using 15lbers lol

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:

How do you keep tension at the bottom? It seems I start to feel it about 1/3rd of the way up but when arms are at my sides, I really don’t feel anything.[/quote]

Youre lowering the weight too much
[/quote]

Ok, we’re on the same page then. I don’t lower the weight all the way because of this. Thanks.

same concept except instead of over head in that matter it was from the side