T Nation

Name That Cut


#1

My brother was given this sealed bag of meat. It has no info on it. Any idea what cut it may be?

It seems to be folded onto itself so it might be about 2 ft long 1 1/2 inch at its thickest.


#2

1


#3

beef brisket?


#4

It honestly looks like flank steak, and that would make even more sense as it sometimes comes packaged folded over on itself. Or I could be just wrong, still looks delicious though


#5

Backside if it helps


#6

It looks very similar to this picture of flank steak, maybe with a tidbit of more fat. So yes that will be my final answer.


#7

Looks similar to brisket, however, the triangular shape indicates that it is, in fact, beef tri-tip which is a cut of sirloin.


#8

[quote]jzy50309 wrote:
It looks very similar to this picture of flank steak, maybe with a tidbit of more fat. So yes that will be my final answer. [/quote]

And this, is in fact, skirt steak otherwise known as hanger steak. Not flank steak.

It is cut from the diaphragm.

In a flank steak, the striations (or grain), would run parallel to the greater length of the muscle.

In a skirt steak it would be opposite. The grain is perpendicular to the greater length as is clearly indicated in the pic.


#9

[quote]butcherman7 wrote:

Looks similar to brisket, however, the triangular shape indicates that it is, in fact, beef tri-tip which is a cut of sirloin. [/quote]

Upon further inspection…if it IS one piece and folded over inside the bag and not 2 individual muscles packed together, as i originally thought, it would be brisket.


#10

[quote]butcherman7 wrote:

[quote]jzy50309 wrote:
It looks very similar to this picture of flank steak, maybe with a tidbit of more fat. So yes that will be my final answer. [/quote]

And this, is in fact, skirt steak otherwise known as hanger steak. Not flank steak.

It is cut from the diaphragm.

In a flank steak, the striations (or grain), would run parallel to the greater length of the muscle.

In a skirt steak it would be opposite. The grain is perpendicular to the greater length as is clearly indicated in the pic.[/quote]
You know your meats sir, very informative and I stand corrected