Nalgene Replacement?

Hey everyone,

There’s been quite a stink over the bisphenol A in hard plastic bottles lately (yeah I know it’s sad the general public is just now learning about xenoestrogens), and I was wondering what you all use instead for water/protein shake bottles. My old nalgenes are getting rather worn, and I want to replace them with something lacking unpleasant chemicals if possible. I’ve been looking around and like the aluminum lined bottles. However, most models I’ve seen have a ridiculously small mouth that would make washing them impossible. Anyone know of a good company that makes the metal lined bottles with a reasonable mouth?

Fish

[quote]Fishdog70 wrote:
Hey everyone,

There’s been quite a stink over the bisphenol A in hard plastic bottles lately (yeah I know it’s sad the general public is just now learning about xenoestrogens), and I was wondering what you all use instead for water/protein shake bottles. My old nalgenes are getting rather worn, and I want to replace them with something lacking unpleasant chemicals if possible. I’ve been looking around and like the aluminum lined bottles. However, most models I’ve seen have a ridiculously small mouth that would make washing them impossible. Anyone know of a good company that makes the metal lined bottles with a reasonable mouth?

Fish[/quote]

I don’t know about any of the metal lined bottles, but
I believe Camelbak is coming out with a BPA-free plastic bottle on May 1st.

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm?gclid=COf1nOTQgZMCFQdlHgodDhSixw

I’m pretty sure Nalgene is going to re-make bottles without the chemical, so I’m probably just going to buy one of those. If not, I may just buy a huge thing of Gatorade and use it for water after it’s gone.

So, I should stop using my Nalgene bottle?

I don’t know if you are referring to the Swiss made Sigg bottles, but they are very nice, not hard to wash and I use them all the time…

www.sigg.ch/

The nalgene company says that the bottles don’t leak anything dangerous in any amount. However, the Canadian government recently pulled all bottles containing bishpenol A, and Nalgene has recently stopped production on this line of bottles. As for your own nalgenes, they recommend replacing them once the paint/logo starts wearing off and not to wash them in the dishwater (too much hot water can release chemicals).

I’m just thinking of switching over to something without any plastics because I drink from these things every single day of the week.

Nalgene does some good UVPE bottles, i.e. HDPE bottles specially treated to resist the effects of UV light. Thus far, no evidence of toxin leakage vs Polycarb.
Another company called Kleen Kanteen, does liner-less stainless steel flasks also good. Stainless steel is great for durability.

I have both of these, I like the stainless steel flask a lot but they’re also pricey vs. HDPE/UVPE and if you’re using them for outdoor activities (climbing, hiking, whatever) they’re heavier. If it’s for gym and around, then their durability makes them a great choice.

Here is a link to the Nalgene Site, and their most recent announcement:

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

Mufasa

I will continue to drink from Nalgene bottles. I relish the challenge of beating down BPA.

DB
“Living the Warrior lifestyle since 2008”

get a Sigg. made of aluminum, liner inside and no leeching of dangerous chemicals. plus it keeps the water ice cold forever.