NAC: Post Workout?

Anyone with any thoughts on the use of NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine) in an overall supplement program? Supposedly,(along with Glutamine), cysteine (an essential a.a.) is lost in muscle with heavy training. Also, NAC is a precursor to Glutathione, a powerful anti-oxidant.

Correction: Cysteine IS NOT an essential a.a. (in that the body can manufacture it). It is one that’s deemed “physiologically essential”.During times of stress (example resistance training) its levels drop precipitously, thereby interfering with protein synthesis and eventual recovery. So…what do you guys think? Should it be part of an overall supplement program?

Vitamin c increases the body’s production of glutathione and is significantly cheaper. Every adult should be taking several grams of C per day (in divided doses). There are about a zillion reasons for this including wound healing, proper immune function, dealing with stress… If you are doing that, and the other basics i.e. a good amount of B vitamins (including at least 800 mcg of folic acid to help lower homocystein and prevent heart disease), at least 400 IU of vitamin E, and appropriate amounts of trace minerals (chromium, selenium…) then NAC would be something to consider. I am assuming enough protein, tons of water and proper sleep.

Mufasa; I have just read body opus, and its reccomended in that for the extreme diet/training methods outlined in the books. Glutathione is, as suggested, an amazingly powerful antioxidant - and I am stressed up to my eyeballs, so was thinking of giving it a try. According to dan duchaine it is popular with people such as life extensionists for the rreasons you outlined. i will be adding it shortly to my regimen!

I had asked about antioxidants in an earlier post. I’m taking NAC after my workouts (Twinlabs Antioxidant, has NAC plus a few other things in it) along with extra vitamin C. To be honest I can’t really tell that much of a difference. I got more out of taking divided doses of vitamin C throughout the day.

Additional Vit. C, E and NAC may be a winner?..

There is about 250 mg of l-cysteine in an egg, I take n-acetyl-cysteine 'cuz I’m an immortalist, but one could just eat eggs and take vit C if they wanted to save money as l-cysteine helps raise glutathione levels just fine.

Whey protein is a better, cheaper and more effective method of bolstering glutathione levels. Itcontains, a direct pre-cursor gamma’glutamyl-cysteine which is absorbed efficiently and does the trick better than NAC