N00b Deadlift Question - Constant Tension?

It never occurred to me until today that I might be deadlifting completely wrong.

I was taught how to DL by an old friend who used to compete in strongman in the 80s/90s, and he always told me to stop the descent 1 or 2 inches from the floor. I ended up doing 315 5x5 (not praticularly impressive, I know!) like this and never had any problems.

I’ve moved onto 5/3/1 - would it be best for me to deadlift from a stop (on the ground), especially for the max effort weeks?

By stopping the movement a couple inches off the floor, thereby keeping constant tension throughout the movement, you are definitely limiting the amount of weight you can use.

Since you’re using 5/3/1, I assume that strength is a goal, so stop each deadlift on the ground. Don’t touch and go, set it down completely and then pick it back up again.

Thanks Chris

Are you sure he didn’t have you doing stiff-legged deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts?

You should absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, let the bar hit the floor between reps.

I tend to touch-n-go my warm up deadlifts in explosive fashion, as I get bored doing them slowly. All working sets are really a group of singles with a couple of seconds between each to take a breath and re-set my grip if required.

Also, if you are accustomed to stopping before the floor, you probably descend too slowly. The ascent portion of the deadlift is what you are training - the descent can simply be a “controlled drop” without any major muscle involvement.

Not touching the floor is a RDL or Stiff leg deadlift. Amazing hamstring/glute exercise, but not a traditional deadlift. Do a traditional deadlift for a routine that calls for a deadlift. Use the RDL/SLDL as assistance.

Also, doing 315 for 5x5 on a RDL/SLDL is actually pretty good.

Is the RDL with bent legs towards the bottom?

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
Is the RDL with bent legs towards the bottom?[/quote]
Yes.