Mysterious Weight Gain

There are a few things that could explain it:

1. You’re breathing is throwing off the scale.
  2. There’s more air in your lungs.
  3. You’re scale is inconsistent.
  4. You’re wearing/holding something that you weren’t before.
    Either way you’re wasting your time weighing yourself during a workout.

maybe your growing taller during your workouts.

[quote]duhast234 wrote:
maybe your growing taller during your workouts.[/quote]

Agreed. Nothing else to it.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
oboffill wrote:
Leichenwagen wrote:
I’ve noticed this mysterious gain myself. usually around 500g(1 pound or less)by midworkout. Water I figure the body is using as fast as I take it. I’m no expert but my guess is oxygenated blood.

~ Leich

That’s an interesting thought. Thanks for actually staying on topic. I knew someone was capable.

It’s not a lack of “capability” at issue. It’s that your topic is so bizarre that anyone who takes it seriously is a fool.

The law of thermodynamics are rather clear. You can’t gain mass without an addition of mass. If you are gaining mass when you train, it’s because you’re leaving on your weight belt, holding a towel, etc.

You are such an idiot that you can’t measure yourself under identical conditions. Yet you complain that people aren’t “capable” of taking your thread seriously?

Next time, weigh yourself naked before “lifting.” (I put that in quotes because if you’re not NEEDING to drink water during your “work outs”, you’re not really lifting.) Then remove your clothes (don’t leave your socks on) and weigh yourself again.

You will weigh the same amount.

Amazing stuff, huh?[/quote]

No, what’s amazing is how much of an ass you come across with every post on this forum. That’s amazing.

This thread is making me thirsty.

Why ask about mysterious weight gain when you could ask much more important questions such as

How many chucks could a would chuck chuck if a would chuck could chuck would?

Or perhaps,

Why the deuce is sally selling sea shells by the sea shore when everyone can pick them up on the ground for free

Stand on the scale in the exact same position everytime, that means feet in the same place, weight balanced on your feet the same way, arms in the same position, head in the same position, either hold your breath or exhale. With home scales and even some tournament weight scales you can add or lose weight by the placement of your body.

I gained two pounds while reading this thread.

I second the no water while “working out” what are you a camel?

Do you calibrate your scale before each weighing? If not, I would highly recommend doing so. If this doesn’t work, forcefully bang your head against a cement wall a few time and weigh yourself again.

Usually I don’t show this level of sarcasm, but there is no reason to be so obsessive about weighing yourself. Unless the conditions for each weighing are EXACTLY the same, the weighing is performed by a qualified third party, and you have a scale that is extremely accurate there will be some differences between weighings.

Until you meet these three conditions bang your head against the cement wall! Once you have successfully met all three conditions bang your head against a cement wall a few more times and then call a psychiatrist. He or she will give you medicine to help control the random fluctuations in your weight.

I have a suggestion for you clowns. Find real life friends and spare me the “jokes”.

I quess there was some disbelief on my part that this thread was actually real, but I quess it is a serious questions. Well, let’s look into it.

First, All variables between weighings must be the same: clothing, posture, position of the scale, etc. Second, for the weighing to valid the scale needs to be very accurate. The normal bathroom scale just isn’t accurate enough to trust a 1 pound difference between weighings. Many of them use some sort of spring or compression mechanism. Third, weighings should be done from an impartial third party. Unless all these conditions are met the differences may not be real differences just indicators there are spurious variables between the weighings.

If the conditions are met and the weights are actually different, there are only a few kinds of inputs and outputs the body can make to change weight. The first has to do with the exchanges of gases, most of which is done through respiration. During and after exercise the blood may have a high concentration of CO2. Your body may also be taking in more O2. I doubt this would make a huge difference in weight, but I could see a small difference.

Second, the intake and output of fluids can affect weight. Fluid intake is primarily through drinking, but there can be some water taken in and let out with respiration. However, since you are not drinking during your workout it is likely the fluid lost would lead to a loss in weight. Unless of course that water is remaining in your clothes or on your skin and is being accounted for in the weighing.

Food intake and calorie burn is also an area where weight can be added or subtracted. I doubt you are eating a lot during a workout. I also doubt you are burning a lot of calories during a workout.

Even a marathon workout session wouldn’t burn no more than a pound or so of calories. If you actually did burn that many calories during a workout session you probably wouldn’t be worried about stepping on a scale.

Other than respiration, fluid intake, anc calorie intake I cannot think of any major inputs/outputs other than urination and defecation. Both would lead to temporary minor weight loss.

The most likely cause of the differences is inconsistencies in the weighings or inaccuracies in your scale.

[quote]GT625 wrote:
2. There’s more air in your lungs.[/quote]

This will have zero effect on your weight. because the air inside your lungs is the same density as the air surrounding your body.

I think this thread is another classic. This guy is in the same league as “Here’s a shoe. What’s my bodyfat?” And, “I ate .9 of banana for lunch.”

[quote]Racarnus wrote:
GT625 wrote:

This will have zero effect on your weight. because the air inside your lungs is the same density as the air surrounding your body.
[/quote]

True, but do you think extra disolved CO2 in your blood could measureably add to your weight, or that there would be more C02 in your body after excercise?

I’m thinking the OP is picking up water from the air, esp since he lives in FL. Do you have long hair, OP?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
It’s not a lack of “capability” at issue. It’s that your topic is so bizarre that anyone who takes it seriously is a fool.

The law of thermodynamics are rather clear. You can’t gain mass without an addition of mass. If you are gaining mass when you train, it’s because you’re leaving on your weight belt, holding a towel, etc.

You are such an idiot that you can’t measure yourself under identical conditions. Yet you complain that people aren’t “capable” of taking your thread seriously?

Next time, weigh yourself naked before “lifting.” (I put that in quotes because if you’re not NEEDING to drink water during your “work outs”, you’re not really lifting.) Then remove your clothes (don’t leave your socks on) and weigh yourself again.

You will weigh the same amount.

Amazing stuff, huh?[/quote]

Just thought this was worth repeating. It sums up my thoughts on this topic rather well.

I just really can’t believe you thought this was worth asking (were you honestly thinking this would be a great brain teaser for us, or that the answer would be something interesting?).

Now, if you really want me to say something USEFUL for you…your follow-through could use a little more extension.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Racarnus wrote:
GT625 wrote:

True, but do you think extra disolved CO2 in your blood could measureably add to your weight, or that there would be more C02 in your body after excercise?

I’m thinking the OP is picking up water from the air, esp since he lives in FL. Do you have long hair, OP?
[/quote]

I have short hair.

I haven’t been next to a scale the past few days so I haven’t been able to monitor the weight again.

LOL.

You’re recommend we find real life friends? I have a question for you…

What is it about your life that is so fantastic you feel the need to weigh yourself chronically to the point where it appears to weigh on your life so substantially that you post here and waste the time of people who could be much better spending their time mocking eliteballa?

Your friends must be fantastic, sir, and I hope they’re around to help you through these tough times!

Did you guys miss the part where he said this has been consistent for 2 weeks?

jacheson,

It’s summer. I’m currently not working or taking classes. I made an interesting observation. Posted it up. Maybe it’s something, maybe it’s nothing. It’s not so complicated. Don’t know what the big fuss is about.

[quote]Racarnus wrote:
GT625 wrote:

[/quote]

Valid point, but you have to look a little deeper.
Since he trains at home, it’s probably in the garage/basement. In most houses these places aren’t air conditioned; therefore, they would be more humid.

And assuming he holds his breath from wherever he works out to where the scale is, that would lead me to believe that the air is in fact more dense.
Not to mention that air gets compressed in your lungs to some extent.