Mysterious Weight Gain

I’ve been monitoring my weight recently and have discovered a strange phenomenon. I weigh myself prior, during, and after a workout(home workouts).

I notice that after 15 minutes my weight increases almost a pound and after 30-40 mins it’s always 1lb over pre-workout weight. The weight then goes down after about 2 hours after the workout is finished. This has been consistent for 2 weeks.

What is going on?

Almost undoubtedly water weight.

Water?

It would probably be a good thing if you came home everyday better hydrated anyway.

Weight fluctuates all day, it’s no big deal.

Or it’s one of those vanishing tumors I’ve been hearing about.

You only notice stuff when you start noticing it.
Kind of like allways finding stuff in the last place you look.

One pint= 16 oz.= volume of water consumed while lifting, and a piss or two after.

It might help to note that I don’t drink water during the session.

Also of note is that I eat a few pieces of fruit about 15 minutes before workout, which occurs at 11:00am every other day.

I will continue to monitor my weight.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
I weigh myself prior, during, and after a workout(home workouts). [/quote]

LOLOL. Are you serious?

Weird. Are you sweaty during this period? Is it humid where you are working out? Maybe you are picking up water from the air.

Also, are you standing on the scale differently? I always feel that my posture is better after a workout.

Maybe you have more carbon dioxide in your body.

Anyway, fun to think about, but doesn’t really matter.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
[/quote]

Why?

I would be more concerned as to why you not only don’t drink water, but are apparently not lifting hard enough to NEED to drink water than I would be about some mysterious weight gain.

Not only that, but water can be pulled from the moisture in the air as well and while no one could possibly know for sure if that is why you supposedly weigh more, it is overshadowed by the fact that you shouldn’t be worried about what you weigh directly after training regardless. Why are you weighing yourself several times during a workout?

Above all, what weak ass workouts are being done where you don’t need any water during the workout? I can’t even remember being in a gym where I didn’t feel the need to go to the water fountain or bring my own source. No offense, but your workouts must suck ass. Maybe you need to consider NOT training at home.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Above all, what weak ass workouts are being done where you don’t need any water during the workout? I can’t even remember being in a gym where I didn’t feel the need to go to the water fountain or bring my own source. No offense, but your workouts must suck ass. Maybe you need to consider NOT training at home.[/quote]

Quoted for Truth.

Even if you don’t feel like you need it, if you’re sweating you need to keep hydration up.

I’m hoping that’s the case and you’re not sissy dancing your way through your “workouts.”

[quote]Professor X wrote:
oboffill wrote:

Why?

I would be more concerned as to why you not only don’t drink water, but are apparently not lifting hard enough to NEED to drink water than I would be about some mysterious weight gain.

Not only that, but water can be pulled from the moisture in the air as well and while no one could possibly know for sure if that is why you supposedly weigh more, it is overshadowed by the fact that you shouldn’t be worried about what you weigh directly after training regardless. Why are you weighing yourself several times during a workout?

Above all, what weak ass workouts are being done where you don’t need any water during the workout? I can’t even remember being in a gym where I didn’t feel the need to go to the water fountain or bring my own source. No offense, but your workouts must suck ass. Maybe you need to consider NOT training at home.[/quote]

As you know, I bought Arnold’s books. I’m going through his Beginner’s Freehand workout. The volume is something I’m not accustomed to. This type of training is harder for me than the low rep training I’m used to.

I’ve noticed this mysterious gain myself. usually around 500g(1 pound or less)by midworkout. Water I figure the body is using as fast as I take it. I’m no expert but my guess is oxygenated blood.

~ Leich

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
oboffill wrote:
I weigh myself prior, during, and after a workout(home workouts).

LOLOL. Are you serious?[/quote]

Yeah, I actually weigh myself many times a day (hell I take a piss anyways). It’s interesting to see the weight fluctuation. Call me weird, whatever.

When I was training with weights in the gym, I would sweat a lot and drink lots of water. Volume training with bodyweight isn’t that taxing, just causing local fatigue.

I’ve dipped 5 reps with 105lbs, Military press 135 10 reps, incline bench 225 10 reps and my chest is smaller than it should be.

I’m trying something different.

[quote]Leichenwagen wrote:
I’ve noticed this mysterious gain myself. usually around 500g(1 pound or less)by midworkout. Water I figure the body is using as fast as I take it. I’m no expert but my guess is oxygenated blood.

~ Leich[/quote]

That’s an interesting thought. Thanks for actually staying on topic. I knew someone was capable.

Makes sure you take your belt off before you weigh yourself after the workout.

Being THAT obsessed with weight will put you into a no-gain mode IMO.

Leave it alone and weight 1 time per week.

And drink some frickin water!

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Makes sure you take your belt off before you weigh yourself after the workout.

Being THAT obsessed with weight will put you into a no-gain mode IMO.

Leave it alone and weight 1 time per week.

And drink some frickin water![/quote]

Yes, I figured that everytime I step onto a scale I burn .3 calories. .3x5 = 1.5 calories/day

Look like an extra glass of milk will do the trick. Thanks bud.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
oboffill wrote:
Leichenwagen wrote:

~ Leich

That’s an interesting thought. Thanks for actually staying on topic. I knew someone was capable.

OK, so since O2 weighs 0.098lbs per cubic foot, and you are increasing weight by approx 1 lb, you would need to be absorbing over 100 cubic feet of O2 into your bloodstream.

Which seems like a lot, lol.

Now, since the value of 0.098 occurs (I assume) at 1 atmosphere of pressure, and since you actually dissolve O2 molecules into the blood, rather than carrying them around like ‘mini bubbles’, you could feasibly increase the weight of O2 in the blood as partial pressure of O2 increases to keep up with metabolic demand.

Plus you’ll be increasing partial pressure of CO2 as a metabolic byproduct. BUT you’ll also be excreting that CO2, just as rapidly as you intake O2…

bushy[/quote]

the what…huh…er…
Lol flexing those mental muscles eh?

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Leichenwagen wrote:

~ Leich

That’s an interesting thought. Thanks for actually staying on topic. I knew someone was capable. [/quote]

It’s not a lack of “capability” at issue. It’s that your topic is so bizarre that anyone who takes it seriously is a fool.

The law of thermodynamics are rather clear. You can’t gain mass without an addition of mass. If you are gaining mass when you train, it’s because you’re leaving on your weight belt, holding a towel, etc.

You are such an idiot that you can’t measure yourself under identical conditions. Yet you complain that people aren’t “capable” of taking your thread seriously?

Next time, weigh yourself naked before “lifting.” (I put that in quotes because if you’re not NEEDING to drink water during your “work outs”, you’re not really lifting.) Then remove your clothes (don’t leave your socks on) and weigh yourself again.

You will weigh the same amount.

Amazing stuff, huh?