Myostat

I just read the second article on myostat, and was wondering. When it says it actually makes new muscle cells grow, isnt that called hyperplasia/hypergenises? Any response would be appreciated.

Hyperplasia is the term which indicates an increase in total number. On the other hand, hypertrophy indicates an increase in size with no increase in number.

There can be some confusion because some have associated the term hyperplasia with “muscle splitting” or “fiber splitting.”

Splitting (one muscle cell becoming two and thereby increasing number) does not occur in humans though it can occur in some animals.

However, differentiation of satellite cells (immature muscle cells) into mature cells, which increases number of mature muscle cells and is also a type of hyperplasia, does occur in man.

Ok, Bill keep helping a moron out please:) Correct me if Im wrong here (which is very probable). Sattelite cells are the same as stem cells right? Ive seen some stem cell research with rats on T.V. in which the rat had a broken spinal cord. Stem cells were placed/injected into the site where the cord was broken and they assumed a role in which they bridged the gap in between the broken ends of the chord. Kinda like they had a brain of their own and knew exactly what they needed to do. Well the rat regained some use of its legs. I was wondering, is that the type of hyperplasia that happens in humans. Do stem cells get the message to becom a new msucle fiber and therefore do so? Thanks for the previous responses Bill and Jason.