Myofascial Release

Have any of you done it? Has it helped you squat easier?

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
Have any of you done it? Has it helped you squat easier?

CS[/quote]

A man of your stature, and you dont foam roll? Cereal?

tweet

thats a fancy way of saying ‘foam rolling’

and yes, it does

It can certainly be useful although it isn’t a magic cure. Essentially if you try it and it does nothing for you, you don’t need it. If you try it and you notice a big improvement you should do it regularly until you don’t need to do it anymore. Hope that makes sense. I find calves, quads and piriformis to be the most important things for most people to roll prior to lifting lower body.

I find reaching depth a lot easier when I roll a good amount before. I use either a softball or pvc pipe.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
I find reaching depth a lot easier when I roll a good amount before. I use either a softball or pvc pipe. [/quote]

It’s always easier to hit depth when it doesn’t hurt to get there.

You do it too lol. It definitely helps me out. But upper-body rolling with a lax ball is something I definitely need to concentrate on more. It really helps but I always “forget” to do it.

Me personally, I find foam rolling my hams, hip flexors, piriformis, and chest/shoulder help keep my squat smooth.

It’s absolutely neccessary for me. I play rugby, and our practices are at night. So, a lot of times I’ll wake up in the morning feeling like an old man that got hit by a truck, but 20 mins of foam rolling and stretching does wonders.

I do it on “tight days”. I have experimented by trying in the afternoon on these type of days to see if the relief would carry over to that nights training. IME I will tighten back up in less than an hour, it is a great warm up before hitting some squats though.

I haven’t tried it before lifting but isn’t foam rolling essentially a poor man’s version of getting a proper sport massage?

If that is true, then I find it strange to actually do it just BEFORE training.

Afterwards or on off days, makes perfectly sense to me since most prof. athletes do it that way.

Thoughts?

ps: for making the squat “easier”, I found the squat-specific stretch/mobility exercises (“opening the hips”) suggested on MWOD very useful.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
I haven’t tried it before lifting but isn’t foam rolling essentially a poor man’s version of getting a proper sport massage?

If that is true, then I find it strange to actually do it just BEFORE training.

Afterwards or on off days, makes perfectly sense to me since most prof. athletes do it that way.

Thoughts?

ps: for making the squat “easier”, I found the squat-specific stretch/mobility exercises (“opening the hips”) suggested on MWOD very useful.

[/quote]

I usually do it in the morning, and I lift or practice in the afternoon/evening. Sometimes I run late and do it in the evening, after I’ve already lifted or a couple hours before practice.

I don’t do it right before I lift just because I’m not carrying around a foam roller on campus. I don’t think it really makes that big of a difference though.

I want a Theracane.

That is all.

I’ve gotta vouch for the rumble roller. It hurts so good and leaves me so much looser than a regular foam roller. Just got it for my b-day a few days ago!

i roll during my warm up hitting my groin and hip flexors. it really helps me to loosen up the hips and hit depth much easier and feel stronger while doing it.

I’ve do a myofascial massage every couple of weeks and it hurts like a bitch when your doing but feels so good after. I’ve wanted to try myofascial cupping which I hear is very effective but hurts quite a bit a guess you play hard you recover even harder

Does SMR help anyone sleep better? I’ve been doing it pretty thoroughly before bed and have been sleeping WAY better.

Does SMR help anyone sleep better? I’ve been doing it pretty thoroughly before bed and have been sleeping WAY better. [/quote]

No, if anything it warms me up and gets me ready to lift some heavy ass weight!

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

Does SMR help anyone sleep better? I’ve been doing it pretty thoroughly before bed and have been sleeping WAY better. [/quote]

No, if anything it warms me up and gets me ready to lift some heavy ass weight!

tweet[/quote]

Yeah, I associate it with my pre-lift routine so it isn’t something I want to do before bed.

I do it before lifting too. I’m messed up and have problems with anxiety and stuff, so I think the endorphins or whatever that SMR gives me helps me relax and feel more “normal”, thus being able to sleep easier…