T Nation

My WS4SB III Selections - Critique Please

Hi, a while back I posted a question here regarding routines, and it seemed that most people recommended WS4SB 3 for someone of my training experience (fairly limited).

So, I read the website, went through the template and made my exercise selections.

I want to get off my ass tomorrow and start pumping iron with the comfort of knowing that my routine has been checked by fellow T-nationers and is balanced. So if you guys spent a few minutes of your time going through this, and correcting/raising any possible issues, it would be much appreciated.

Background info (SCROLL DOWN if you want me to stfu and get to the exercises):
18 years
176cm/5’9’’, 73kg/161lbs
Bench 5RM 80kg/176lbs
Deadlift 5RM 110kg/243lbs
Squat 5RM 120kg/265lbs

I understand I need to gain mass all over. Lots of flat benching and only benching, for frequent and sustained periods during high school has left me with a middle/lower chest larger in proportion than the rest of my body. Since I am not pursuing athletic qualities, I’ve opted to leave out the DE lower body day, and instead, use the template below:

MONDAY Max-Effort Upper Body
WEDNESDAY Max-Effort Lower Body
THURSDAY Repetition Upper Body
SATURDAY ‘Vanity’ Day (This workout can consist of extra biceps, shoulders, calves & abs)

So here goes:

ME Upper

• Incline BB bench
  • DB floor press (I think, at the gym I will just do a neutral grip DB bench press, lowering until my elbows touch my sides)
  • Barbell row/Rear delt flyes superset
  • DB shrugs
  • BB curls

ME Lower

• Back squats
  • Walking lunges (plan to switch to DB Bulgarians once I get used to the whole unilateral coordination, good idea or no?)
  • Romanian deadlifts
  • Ab circuit (possibly consisting of front and side planks, reverse crunches)

Repetition Upper

• Incline DB bench
  • Pull-ups/Face pulls superset
  • DB lateral raises
  • DB shrugs/Hammer curls superset (or should I replace the curls with tricep pushdowns?)
  • Plate pinch grips

Vanity/Misc day

• BB OH press or DB shoulder press
  • Chin-ups
  • Dips or CGBP (which one?)
  • Calf raises
  • Ab circuit

How does this look to you? Any balancing issues? What would you change?

Cheers

you have 3 upper body days. Do two upper, two lower.

ohhkay, i thought it would be fine because the template i used, including the idea of the vanity day, was from the WS4SB3 webpage, but i do see your point, just because i dont need a reptition lower day doesnt mean i cant have another lower training day i suppose.

so do you suggest i split the ME lower day into 2 days, and throw a few more exercises in? such as a DL day and a squat day (hip dominant, quad dominant)? such as:

squat, lunge, calves, abs
and
dl, back extension/good mornings, calves, abs

edit: and if i toss the 3rd upper day, what happens with the removal of the OH press? ive read its a staple exercise, and shoulders are a definite weakpoint of mine

Either do 2 upper 1 lower or 2 upper 2 lower.

With WSFSB3, you’re going to be doing 3-5 week cycles of exercise selections which you can change later on. If you arent doing Over Head press this cycle, just do it next cycle. For your second lower body day, you can make it an ab day basically and work on your high rep squats/unilateral training and hamstring movements as well as your core/back.

First, good job putting the advices you got to work
boredlifter is dead-on with what he said. You can’t do every exercise in the book, don’t worry about it too much.
Now for specifics:
-Ditch vanity, and do a leg day. Hip day quad day seems good. You could try high rep but you will be sore for a LONG time which might or might not hinder ME Lower day. Or maybe I’m just a pussy.

-Yes ditch the 2nd shrug and replace with triceps, not pushdown tho. Put the Dips or CGBP (I’d go for CGBP)

-Why 2 incline lifts? And don’t tell me upper pecs. Just use 1 incline, or simply have a flat bench and that BB overhead press.

-If you can do planks for 1 min or more, ditch them and search for some real ab exercises.

-Plate pinch, I don’t really see the use…I feel there are better grip exercise if you really have a need for grip strength.

-What about rep range you’re gonna go with the template?

Okay, I’ll ditch vanity and add in an extra leg/ab day, and split the lower days into hip/quad dominant, and I’ll keep both at the lower end of rep ranges (3-5).

And haha I’d be lying if I said the 2nd incline bench wasn’t thrown in there because of upper pec. But another reason is I’ve stalled at flat bench so my rationale was perhaps leave it for a while.

So for repetition upper, what do you think of me replacing incline bench (as you suggested) with shoulder press, and throwing in the CGBP (as you suggested) in the arms superset so my chest still gets hit. For the grips, what would you suggest I change the plate pinches for? Farmers walk? I read from a Wendler article that high rep 1 arm bent dumbbell rows help your grips lots?

I’ll time myself this week with the planks, but I’m pretty confident I can pass the 1 minute mark, probably toss in barbell rollouts because I’ve heard good things about these.

As for rep range, whatever is prescribed in the template. So today I did ME upper, so for my BB incline press, I ramped up to a 5RM. Floor press I did 2x15, and the remainder I did 3x10. I imagine the other days would be pretty similar in terms of set/reps, except for the first exercise in repeition upper (3xmax or 12-15).

On a side note, I felt like a tool lying on the floor and doing the floor press. It was my first time, but it felt like my triceps were on fire (which is a good feeling) so I can definitely see myself doing alot more of these in the future, even if the weight I can use with these is limited.

[quote]jc13591 wrote:
Okay, I’ll ditch vanity and add in an extra leg/ab day, and split the lower days into hip/quad dominant, and I’ll keep both at the lower end of rep ranges (3-5).

And haha I’d be lying if I said the 2nd incline bench wasn’t thrown in there because of upper pec. But another reason is I’ve stalled at flat bench so my rationale was perhaps leave it for a while.

So for repetition upper, what do you think of me replacing incline bench (as you suggested) with shoulder press, and throwing in the CGBP (as you suggested) in the arms superset so my chest still gets hit. For the grips, what would you suggest I change the plate pinches for? Farmers walk? I read from a Wendler article that high rep 1 arm bent dumbbell rows help your grips lots?

I’ll time myself this week with the planks, but I’m pretty confident I can pass the 1 minute mark, probably toss in barbell rollouts because I’ve heard good things about these.

As for rep range, whatever is prescribed in the template. So today I did ME upper, so for my BB incline press, I ramped up to a 5RM. Floor press I did 2x15, and the remainder I did 3x10. I imagine the other days would be pretty similar in terms of set/reps, except for the first exercise in repetition upper (3xmax or 12-15).

On a side note, I felt like a tool lying on the floor and doing the floor press. It was my first time, but it felt like my triceps were on fire (which is a good feeling) so I can definitely see myself doing alot more of these in the future, even if the weight I can use with these is limited.[/quote]

That looks solid. Never did floor presses myself what a shame, I’ll have to try it.

For grip, why do farmers walk or DB hold when you can add a rowing movement in there, that’s my logic. The rows are referred to as Kroc rows. It’s basically using heavy ass weight with a little body english at the top too squeeze the contraction, done for 15+ reps (even 25+, but try with 15 for starters) Those rows are great, and by great I mean fucking hell to do. So yes do them.

Barbell rollouts/ab wheel are awesome, just be sure to watch a couple video the see how to do them properly, your back has to be rounded, just like if you were doing a crunch, and really focus on using the abs and not so much the arms to do the movement.
Check some articles on here for other ab exercises to put in a circuit.

Everything else you said is good. Go do it.