My Workout Schedule

Hi all,
I’ve got a question about my workout schedule. I want to lose some fat (I’m about 200 lbs right now) but still doing 5/3/1 as usual. My thoughts:

Monday
Deads 5/3/1
FSL 3x5-8
Ab wheel 5 sets
Tabata, something from this article Maximal Fat Loss, Minimal Equipment

Tuesday
rest

Wednesday
Every other wednesday I play basketball with my friends. When I don’t play basket I was thinking about doing intervals of sprinting and walking

Thursday
Bench 5/3/1
FSL 3x5-8
DB Row 50 reps
Dips 3 sets
Curls 3 sets
Facepull 3 sets

Friday
Squat 5/3/1
FSL 3x5-8
Planks 5 sets

Saturday
Tabata from article

Sunday
Press 5/3/1
FSL 3x5-8
Pullups 50 reps
Skullcrushers 3 sets
Curls 3 sets
Facepulls 3 sets

So this gives me 3 conditioning workouts and 4 strength workouts. Also I’m foam rolling the shit out of me. What you think of this?

Refresh

I’ve done tabata on a bike post 5/3/1 (warmup, lift, condition).

In my case I did a 6 minute warmup, 4 minute tabata (20 seconds on, 10 rest), then a 6 minute cooldown.

I found them effective.

Thank you, I was also thinking about doing Saturday’s tabata after my Friday’s squat workout. This is even better in my opinion.

What you think about doing abs on off days? Is it a good idea to do 3-4 sets of ab wheel on one day and then the day after do deadlifts?

I don’t think there is a need for tabatas after squats/deads/etc… It is redundant - they produce a similar effect to a strenuous workout in that with both your fat burning furnace is heated up for awhile after - it won’t hurt, but you’ve already achieved that effect lifting weights if you are going at it hard. I usually do some vest walking, etc. after the big workouts to burn more calories and for reco.

I use tabatas once or twice per week in between heavy lifting days to crank up the fat burning in between those workouts. You also have to pick and choose the days wisely as they can be like another lower body day - anyone who has done them or done all-out sprints knows what I am talking about.

Hi there, first time poster so I know you will be skeptical. I just wanted to let you know that cardio (endurance) and strength training counteract each other and normally are not done at the same time. Also, I must ask why the foam roller?

Hi there, first time poster so I know you will be skeptical. I just wanted to let you know that cardio (endurance) and strength training counteract each other and normally are not done at the same time. Also, I must ask why the foam roller?

Jim in his book 531 for Powerlifting advices to do hard conditioning on lower body days and easy conditioning on upper body days. Why not using the foam roller? It’s great for my body, I feel awesome after little rolling.

[quote]derikj wrote:
Hi there, first time poster so I know you will be skeptical. I just wanted to let you know that cardio (endurance) and strength training counteract each other and normally are not done at the same time. Also, I must ask why the foam roller?[/quote]

Yeah. Strength training and conditioning can’t be done together. Ask this guy: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/alphas_work_3?id=5962326&pageNo=0

Since this is your first post, I suggest you learn before you speak. This is not my first post, but I still try not to give too much lifting advice. There are many more capable people here.

–Me

[quote]kravi wrote:
Yeah. Strength training and conditioning can’t be done together. Ask this guy: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_log/alphas_work_3?id=5962326&pageNo=0

Since this is your first post, I suggest you learn before you speak. This is not my first post, but I still try not to give too much lifting advice. There are many more capable people here.
–Me[/quote]

Great log, glad you linked to it kravi - thanks.