T Nation

My Workout and Diet

I went to the doctor 2 months ago. I tipped the scales at 385. This was a huge shock I have never been that high in my life. I quit smoking about four months before that. I smoked for 9 years a pack a day. When I quit my sleep apnea went away but I gained 45 pounds. I knew it was time to make a change. I started working out and eating a clean diet. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. I was wondering if I am losing too fast because of some of the things I have read on here.

Supplements: 1000mg fish oil, multivitamin

My sample diet:

1st meal: brown rice with chicken and carrots

2nd meal: can of tuna with honey mustard, cup of blueberries

3rd meal: salmon filet and broccoli

4th meal: bison burger 1tsp ketchup

I drink a lot of water throughout the day and an occasional v8.

My workout:

Mon,Wed,Fri: bench press, curls, shrugs, crunches, leg lifts, tricep kickbacks, flies, closed grip bench press

tues,thurs: deadlift, squat, calf raises, seated rows

I do three sets of ten of each exercise

I also walk 3 miles at 3.5 mon-fri

Good Job so far for sure!

However:

There is no way you can sustain that workout unless your food quantities are massive.

A cool thing to do would be to do:

M: 5x5 (am)
T: Metabolic (pm)
W: 5x5
Th: Metabolic
F: 5x5
S: Metabolic
Su: REST

If you have the time.

5x5 is heavy weights, squat/deadlift/bench
stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ (this is the one I am going to be using)

Metabolic Workout is here

Doing some brisk walking after you workouts will also help you to burn more fat but won’t decrease your recovery time.

thanks that metabolic workout looks awsome.

No problem, although I would get a few other opinions first as I don’t have a CSCS (yet) or the like

To answer your main question. No 30 lbs is not a lot when you first start working out. It is a beginner thing. Overtime this can and will decrease but you want to do it at a steady pace instead of drastically by consistently working on building muscle. Keep at it. It is a long and rewarding journey, life that is.