T Nation

My Wheels Dont Grow

I am having a problem, my legs doesn’t grow. i’m doing squat and leg curl twice a week… and i didn’t see any progress till now.
does it take time for the leg to grow? or am i doing something wrong? and do you have any suggestion for another exercise to be done?

Cycling is always fun :o)

Lots of different squatting with lots of volume.

Oh and Eat.

How long have you been squatting? Are you growing in other areas of the body?

i’ve been training for 6 months, and i’ve seen some progress in my upper body, but not with the lower body

I’d say then, as above - do more volume and eat more.

[quote]shorin wrote:
i’ve been training for 6 months, and i’ve seen some progress in my upper body, but not with the lower body[/quote]

Let’s see what your lifting plan looks like. Outline a squat day for me, weights and all. And what do you eat? You seem to be pretty lean, too. What do you do for cardio?

More details will make it easier to help.

-folly

Way down this road, in a gym far away,
A young man was once heard to say,
?I?ve repped high and I?ve repped low,
No matter what I do my legs won’t grow.?

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too.
Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he?d do.
From the corner of the gym where the big men train,
Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives,
Where the noise is made with big forty fives.
A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees,
A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack,
Chalking his hands and his monstrous back,
Said, ?Boy stop lying and don?t say you?ve forgotten,
Trouble with you is you ain?t been squattin.?

[quote]BIG_DAWS wrote:
Way down this road, in a gym far away,
A young man was once heard to say,
?I?ve repped high and I?ve repped low,
No matter what I do my legs won’t grow.?

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too.
Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he?d do.
From the corner of the gym where the big men train,
Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives,
Where the noise is made with big forty fives.
A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees,
A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack,
Chalking his hands and his monstrous back,
Said, ?Boy stop lying and don?t say you?ve forgotten,
Trouble with you is you ain?t been squattin.?
[/quote]

lol

If you have been correctly squatting for six months and your legs still won’t grow you are doing something wrong. If you are squatting heavy you should notice your leg size and strength going up in a matter of a few weeks.

You need to give us a detailed outiline of your workout for legs. I am sure we all think you are probably making minor mistakes and we could help you to correct them. Depending on how much you are eating you should be gowing like a weed right now.

[quote]shorin wrote:
I am having a problem, my legs doesn’t grow. i’m doing squat and leg curl twice a week… and i didn’t see any progress till now.
does it take time for the leg to grow? or am i doing something wrong? and do you have any suggestion for another exercise to be done?[/quote]

Do less or no cardio try the legs press. That’s right you don’t have to squat to get big legs. I’ve seen plenty of guys do this. If you don’t eat protein every 2 to 3 hours give up.

edit-I just looked at your photos. If these are recent I think I might be right in saying you’re doing too much cardo. I can’t speak for all but I know this kills my leg strength. You might have gain a little fat to gain muscle.

For years I would squat with heavy weights and my legs didn’t grow at all. Recentluy I started sprinting and running hills a couple times a week and supplementing that with high rep bodyweight squats and heavy low rep squats. My legs have grown like crazy. I also eat more which helps

Dead Lift

[quote]Hagar wrote:
<<< That’s right you don’t have to squat to get big legs. >>>[/quote]

Despite the very colorful and entertaining poem above I concur with this statement. The barbell back squat has been a mainstay since time began and is not to be despised. It is not however THE only way to get your legs to really grow. Just ain’t so. Some guys will do better with presses and even smith squats for instance. There is no such thing as an exercise without which you may as well not train.

[quote]shorin wrote:
I am having a problem, my legs doesn’t grow. i’m doing squat and leg curl twice a week… and i didn’t see any progress till now.
does it take time for the leg to grow? or am i doing something wrong? and do you have any suggestion for another exercise to be done?[/quote]

You weigh how much now? You have gained how much since you started?

If you are squatting twice a week and your legs are not growing one or more of the following applies:

  1. You don’t eat enough to grow

  2. Your squatting technique is crap

  3. You don’t squat heavy enough

  4. You don’t do enough volume

  5. You have reached your maximum genetic potential for leg size.

Given you only weigh 75kg I think we can discount point 5. Tell us what you are doing in relation to the other 4.

[quote]folly wrote:
Let’s see what your lifting plan looks like. Outline a squat day for me, weights and all. And what do you eat? You seem to be pretty lean, too. What do you do for cardio?

More details will make it easier to help.

-folly[/quote]

I’ve been doing the Waterbury method by coach CW recently. and my plan would be like this for the squat day:
squat 10x3 of 5RM
dips 4x6 of 5RM
barbell bent over 4x6 of 5RM
skull crusher 4x6 of 5RM
standing barbell curl 4x6 of 5RM
hanging leg raise 4x6 of 5RM
last week i squat 220
i’m doing my best eating protein in every meal (about 4-5 meals/day)
i don’t do any cardio, but i play soccer once a week for 2 hours.

ok, maybe because i do only squat and leg curl, that’s why they don’t grow.
i’ll try something else like leg press, and see if that works.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You weigh how much now? You have gained how much since you started?[/quote]

i was 64Kg and now i weigh 76Kg

Most peoples quads respond better to higher reps including mine. I’ve never seen pro bodybuilders do 3x10. I’d ditch the 3x10 and do more reps (6 to 20).