My Westside

hey, I want to do a Bench DE day, but how do I go along with this…I have the holes in my powerrack with pegs, I just don’t know how much weight to put on. I have the dynamic bench manual but I’m confused
I put my monster mini’s on, but how much weight do I put on? 50% of my max…45% of my max, + the bands. I’d like some help with this if anyone could get at me that’d be awesome!

I’m doing a full westside right now. The only difference is that I’m doing deadlift and a heavy squat and because I really need to learn technique on deadlift. It’s a weak lift of mine because I’ve never really practiced it or did anything.

Anyways I’ve been making gains in the lift though because I keep the volume low but intensity high. (both squat and dead). So I’m gonna stick with it.

Anyways eventually soon I’m going to start incorporating bands to my squat. It’s working well! I’ll keep updated

The bar should be at approx 50% of your one rep max w/ the bands and weight totaled together. The purpose is to develope speed w/ the bar.

The main thing no MATTER the load the % it should be FAST explosive the DE day is about speed.

I will add are you sure you need DE work how is your base strenght many ppl go to it to early. Not flaming but no need to do speed work if your not moving pretty good loads RE may be a better option

Phill

If you’re fairly new to this style (and powerlifting in general) monster mini bands could well be overkill. Mini bands (set up as EFS suggest i.e. doubled up) will suffice for most trainers on DE day.

Well my bench is 340 lol. I thought it’d be a good idea to get the monster mini’s cause I know my bench will increase more soon, so yeah. So it’s 50% of weight + bands together? In the book they said it’s hard to calculate because of different heights and stuff gives diff. band tension. Perhaps I should load the bar with like 40% and add the bands?

I pretty much just wanna give it a try and see how it works. If i feel it’s not giving me much, I’ll stick to other stuff before I feel ready for the bands.

Same thing goes with the squat? Is it just loading the percentage plus the bands?

I don’t think it’s 50% with the bands, it’s 50% plus the bands. So for a 340 bencher you would do 170 plus the bands. You should be extremely fast with this weight.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
I don’t think it’s 50% with the bands, it’s 50% plus the bands. So for a 340 bencher you would do 170 plus the bands. You should be extremely fast with this weight. [/quote]

Okay I think that’s right then. I tried 155 and it was so easy, I didn’t really know if that’s how a DE day was supposed to be lol. But thanks a lot!

Negative gentleman, it’s weight w/ bands to get your 50% for speed day. Speed day should feel easy. Your only using 50%. Don’t get caught up in weight on speed day. Because the next time your 1 rep max goes up so does your speed bench weight or DE weight. You need to make sure your not moping around in between sets. Minimal rest is desired to make it more difficult.

If you like you can call the writer of the DE bench manual and he can tell you too. If you want to use more bar weight on speed day than get rid of the bands until your bench is bigger. I personally hate to use bands on speed bench, they tear up my elbows.

Also my speed bench wieght is no more then 255, but my one rep max is 575 w/ a shirt. I don’t go any higher becuase I start to slow down. This is what Phil was talking about. You must still be able to move the wieght very fast for it to be DE.

[quote]Gatorarmz wrote:
Negative gentleman, it’s weight w/ bands to get your 50% for speed day. Speed day should feel easy. Your only using 50%. Don’t get caught up in weight on speed day. Because the next time your 1 rep max goes up so does your speed bench weight or DE weight. You need to make sure your not moping around in between sets. Minimal rest is desired to make it more difficult.

If you like you can call the writer of the DE bench manual and he can tell you too. If you want to use more bar weight on speed day than get rid of the bands until your bench is bigger. I personally hate to use bands on speed bench, they tear up my elbows.

Also my speed bench wieght is no more then 255, but my one rep max is 575 w/ a shirt. I don’t go any higher becuase I start to slow down. This is what Phil was talking about. You must still be able to move the wieght very fast for it to be DE.[/quote]

Alright, I think I’ll have a video of my next DE bench and if it’s cool could you have a look at it. I was resting 45s. between sets n stuff. changings my grips…only doing 6 sets of 3 though, just to get into it and eventually doing 8 sets.

Gatorarmz–

You’re forgetting that you’re a shirted lifter and the OP is not. Unequipped lifters will use a slightly higher 1RM % for DE day, bands or not.

Oh, yeah your right. DL, did you get your 1rm in a shirt or not. If not then your O.K. to go a little heavier like 60% to 70%. It all depends on your speed w/ the bar.

I forget I train raw most of the year up until meet time then work my shirt 2 days a month until the meet. Don’t be afriad to try a repetition method as well instead of DE. I rotate the 2 throughout the year and it helps keep things new and fresh.

Yeah the bench was raw. I definately know what you mean though, I was doing some RE for a while and I think it’s time I just give it a little change with the bands. I’m on de-load right now so yeah, at the end of the week I’m done deloading and start another 3 week cycle. And with this cycle I still wanna post a vid to see how it looks!