T Nation

My Weight Training Coach's Workout

I’m in Weight Training class in school. The teacher/coach gave us a workout to do. Critique the upperbody workout he gave us.

Set x Reps

Bench Press: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 4
Curls: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 8
Incline/Decline/Military press: 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 8
Lat Pulls: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Triceps pulldown: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Rows: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Pullups: 3 x failure
Dips: 3 x failure

We are to do this upperbody workout 2-3 times a week.

High school, or college?

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
I’m in Weight Training class in school. The teacher/coach gave us a workout to do. Critique the upperbody workout he gave us.

Set x Reps

We are to do this upperbody workout 2-3 times a week.[/quote]

Pretty simply, the program kinda sucks. Unless your goal is to have stick legs and internally rotated shoulders, then its a great idea!!!

What’s the goal of the program? Are you playing a sport? If you have use of your legs, you should thank god and use them. That means squats, deadlifts, RDLs and any other damn lower body exercise.

There are 17 sets of exercises which promote internal rotation (pullupws and lat pulldowns included) and 3 sets of which promote external rotation (the rows). There is no balance whatsoever.

I feel like you could find a better program in Men’s Health.

Use the “search” to find Tony G’s “Program Design For Dummies” article.

Good luck.

-MAtt

Oh yea…it’s also going to depend on your level of development as well. Height, age, weight, measurements, lifting numbers would be useful.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:

Set x Reps

We are to do this upperbody workout 2-3 times a week.[/quote]

Is the order set in stone? I don’t really see a reason to curl before you chin, row, pulldown etc.
I don’t see any glaring problems besides that, although I wouldn’t use that scheme.

I’d like to see external rotation, abdominal stability and rotation etc.

If this workout was designed to serve a purpose, then I’d use it. But it looks like someone was trying to cover all the bases without any real purpose to the structure. Kinda like baking a cake Three-Stooges-style.

Where do the Squats/deads/cleans come in? Was there a lower body workout to go with this?

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Baller1950 wrote:

Set x Reps

We are to do this upperbody workout 2-3 times a week.

Pretty simply, the program kinda sucks. Unless your goal is to have stick legs and internally rotated shoulders, then its a great idea!!!

What’s the goal of the program? Are you playing a sport? If you have use of your legs, you should thank god and use them. That means squats, deadlifts, RDLs and any other damn lower body exercise.

There are 17 sets of exercises which promote internal rotation (pullupws and lat pulldowns included) and 3 sets of which promote external rotation (the rows). There is no balance whatsoever.

I feel like you could find a better program in Men’s Health.

Use the “search” to find Tony G’s “Program Design For Dummies” article.

Good luck.

-MAtt[/quote]

Ooops, looks like MAtt beat me to it. Good post MAtt!

Tell him that he is bad at life.

the program itself is all right. the gap between 12 reps and 4 reps in bench press is a little much. don’t run this program 3 times a week/ it is a ok program for a weightlifting class, because there are people in there that have never seen weights before.

everybody else in this thread should read more careful please. some of you guys answer is just stupid

[quote]GermanPower wrote:
the program itself is all right. the gap between 12 reps and 4 reps in bench press is a little much. don’t run this program 3 times a week/ it is a ok program for a weightlifting class, because there are people in there that have never seen weights before.

everybody else in this thread should read more careful please. some of you guys answer is just stupid[/quote]

Whose answer is stupid?

The program is stupid. No lower body or ab work, tons of internal rotation with very little external rotation, no real though to exercise order (from what I can tell), and reps spanning too different a bracket (in the bench).

But let me point out that one cannot judge a program truly UNLESS WE KNOW THE DESIRED RESULTS AND CURRENT STATUS OF THE TRAINER. If this guy had been weight training already for years, my suggestions would be different than if he had never done it before in his life. There are so many factors. If the original poster wants good suggestions, he’ll follow up with more info.

-MAtt

[quote]Matgic wrote:
GermanPower wrote:

everybody else in this thread should read more careful please. some of you guys answer is just stupid

Whose answer is stupid?

The program is stupid. No lower body or ab work, tons of internal rotation with very little external rotation, no real though to exercise order (from what I can tell), and reps spanning too different a bracket (in the bench).

[/quote]

The op said this was the “upperbody” workout, which, to me at least, implies that there is a lower body workout.

I see at least 8 sets of pushing (chest), to only 3 pulling (rows). Not sure if the incline/decline are together or separate. Hopefully combined, or you’re looking at an even larger difference.

Tell him, that with that poor push:pull ratio that you’re going to get some serious rounded shoulders and bad posture.

[quote]marza wrote:
Matgic wrote:
GermanPower wrote:

Whose answer is stupid?

The op said this was the “upperbody” workout, which, to me at least, implies that there is a lower body workout.

[/quote]

Somehow, I missed that. But I don’t think it necessarily implies that there is a lower body workout. And if there was a lower body portion that the OP planned on doing, I’m sure he would have posted it.

-MAtt

[quote]GermanPower wrote:

everybody else in this thread should read more careful please. some of you guys answer is just stupid[/quote]

Yes, 12 down to 4 reps is not smart as you do not “spend” enough volume in any one rep range.

And you DO need to address external rotation…And abdomial work, is THAT what you found to be stupid?

It almost goes without saying that you wont run this 3x per week. That’s probably why it say 2-3 times per week and not only 3 times per week.

And if you DO assmume that you will run it 3 times per week, when the heck do you think there’d be room for lower body which shows no indication of existing?

And why is it OK for a weightlifting class? It looks as if you are saying beginners are ok with a poor routine just because they’ve never seen a weight before.

Check your own response for stupidity before calling others out ok?

If you politely and respectfully raise your concerns, IME there are very few coaches who would not be willing to listen to or accomodate you.

Yeah there is a lowerbody portion. But I’m already know I’m not going to do it. It includes crap like leg extentions, leg press, etc. I’m doing a the lowerbody workout from WSSB instead.

And the goal is to get bigger and stronger I guess, since it’s a class for beginners. I myself have about 2.5 months of lifting experience, so I’m still a beginner I guess.

Would my coach’s workout be better if the pullups and dips were taken out?

For a beginner upperbody program something like this would be better i reckon. I neglected a vertical push as the shoulders are gonna get alot of stimulation for a new trainer…If you split movements down the track you could then add a military press or lat raise variation.

Bench Press: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8,
Assisted Pullups (pronated): 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8,
Seated Rows(narrow gip): 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Bent Over Row (supinated grip) : 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Triceps pushdown: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8
Curls: 1 x 12, 1 x 10, 1 x 8,
Woodchop variation 1-3 sets of 12 ? 25 reps…

Legs would have to have variations of a dead, squat, lunge and knee flexion exercise depending on strength and stability…A volume ratio of 3:2 Quad to hamstrings would be fine…

[quote]stockzy wrote:
Legs would have to have variations of a dead, squat, lunge and knee flexion exercise depending on strength and stability…A volume ratio of 3:2 Quad to hamstrings would be fine…

[/quote]

Where did you get that ratio from?

Hamstring strength should represent 60 - 80 percent of quadricep strength so 3:2 sits in the middle of these ratio’s as a general rule i go off. Depends on the type of sport though…