My Weak Deadlift

I’m still having serious grip issues.

I’ve done raw rack lockouts (held 445 for 8 seconds), farmer’s holds, plate pinches, etc.

I can lockout a good amount of weight but my grip is limiting me.

thanks for the feedback!

• tigerak02

405 at 132 is nothing to scoff at.

If you you’re already working on your grip theres not much else to say, good job, and good luck.

Shugs reccommended these EZ-grip bar attachments in one of his recent blogs. You might want to check them out.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1171629

You shouldn’t need wrist wraps for pulling.

They’re more for support when your wrists have pressure on them like bench pressing or overhead pressing.

Your grip appears to be your only limiting factor.

Maybe get some of those Captains of Crush grippers from Ironmind.

I mess around with those every once in a while and I have no problems gripping heavy weight.

That’s a nice pull for your weight, just work on the grip.

What kind of grip do you use?

I have nothing to add in terms of training… but it was pretty damn funny when you dropped 405 and scared that lady behind you!

Awsome deadlift.

Having pulled 501 @ 148 and 512 @ 165, I have had the same issues too. Wrist wraps do help on grip. They compress the flexor tendons to keep the hand closed.

3 suggestions:

1. do double overhand holds in the power rack. hold for time as well as weight. doing the double overhand allows your grip to be taxed far before your back will give.

2. Farmers walks are also great for deadlift strength.

3. When doing accessory work, i.e. chins and rows, do not use straps. Use all the chalk you want, but no straps.

Do your gripwork at the end of the workouts.

beef

LOL the best thing about that video was the lady that got scared when you dropped the weight after the first lift… she looked back at you like “wtf are you doing lifting weights in here” funny!

CoC grippers are great for training crushing grip, but just remember to train for supporting grip as well if your goal is a stronger grip during deadlifts. This means doing negatives or strap holds with the gripper, rather than just repping out. Also, thick bar work is probably the best way to train supporting grip.

Good luck with your grip work. That is some strong work at your weight.

Ha, cheers on scaring the hell out of that skinny chick standing behind you doing arm twirls.

LMAO! “Light weight!”

The “My grip at the piece of shit” was funny too.

Killer pulls, though.

Thanks guys for the responses.

I just bought the #1 CoC gripper and I plan to do exclusively fat bar grip work this cycle.

OK this may sound weird but I had grip issues as well and it finally boiled down to me OVERTRAINING grip I was doing to much with them all the rows pull etc never allowed full recovery.

started limiting it a bit not a huge amount using strps some and doing HEAVY grip work that counted and now my grip is a storng point easily holding 7 plates plus for time.

might try backing off the grip training a bit go heavy and hard once a week for a bit.

Nice pull

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

They’re more for support when your wrists have pressure on them like bench pressing or overhead pressing.

Maybe get some of those Captains of Crush grippers from Ironmind.

I mess around with those every once in a while and I have no problems gripping heavy weight.

That’s a nice pull for your weight, just work on the grip.[/quote]

Not to be a dick, but on the contrary I’ve seen many clips of top powerlifters using wrist wraps when pulling. I know Andy Bolton and Marc Bartley use them.

The captains of crush grippers are a good idea, and I do a lot of grip work with holding the top of a hex db for time. This has really improved my grip a lot.

But here’s an article that also might give you some more information- http://www.elitefts.com/documents/convert_to_sumo.htm

By the way that is really an impressive pull for your size. Good Luck on your future endeavors!

[quote]BigMG wrote:
Not to be a dick, but on the contrary I’ve seen many clips of top powerlifters using wrist wraps when pulling. I know Andy Bolton and Marc Bartley use them.

The captains of crush grippers are a good idea, and I do a lot of grip work with holding the top of a hex db for time. This has really improved my grip a lot.

But here’s an article that also might give you some more information- http://www.elitefts.com/documents/convert_to_sumo.htm

By the way that is really an impressive pull for your size. Good Luck on your future endeavors![/quote]

Agreed, they can provide some help, I just always found them a whole lot more useful for pressing movements, and I don’t think most people should need them for pulling.

Hex dumbbell holds are awesome, also. Chalk up and keep your fingers off the numbers, that’s cheating.

And kudos for scaring the shit out of those two women there.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:

[/quote]

I totally disagree here. Wraps (when sufficently tight) are a huge help.

Tiger, try this, Clench you fist tight and as you do this have someone wrap your wrist for you. Put them on TIGHT. And no matter how tight they are, make them ever tighter. When they locked on and you try to open your hand it should be very difficult.

It might just give you that little bit extra you need to get your lockout.

It’s hard to tell but it doesn’t look like you’re using chalk. If you aren’t… Get some!!

Oh, and last but not least, fucking impressive pull. keep up the good work!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Ghost22 wrote:

I totally disagree here. Wraps (when sufficently tight) are a huge help.

Tiger, try this, Clench you fist tight and as you do this have someone wrap your wrist for you. Put them on TIGHT. And no matter how tight they are, make them ever tighter. When they locked on and you try to open your hand it should be very difficult.

It might just give you that little bit extra you need to get your lockout.

It’s hard to tell but it doesn’t look like you’re using chalk. If you aren’t… Get some!!

Oh, and last but not least, fucking impressive pull. keep up the good work![/quote]

Excellent excellent idea, never even though of clenching the fist before wrapping (even though I wrapped them ungodly tight).

And btw, I always chalk up my hands before any heavy deadlift.

For that particular 445 attempt I forgot to powder up my legs…

I talked to one of my teammmates and he critiqued my form to the last detail:

a) my head lowers too early after the bar passes the knees.

b) the bar drifts 1-2" making my pull harder (on my grip that is).

CoC #1 will be coming soon, going to destroy my hands with that bad boy.

Yeha, I also noticed the lack of chalk. That might help. I’ve been having grip problems for the past six or so months. I had been using straps for everything since I started lifting. I decided that they shouldn’t be necessary, since you don’t wear them 24/7 and you should be able to hold things. I started using chalk, it helps, but I still have trouble.

Try the chalk and focusing on learning more about how you use you grip. I have noticed more strength at different wrist positions. I have also bought all the crap to strengthen it, such as squeeze things and the gyro thing… for shits and giggles. I think focusing on it during all lifts and using chalk should help somewhat.

Those are great lifts, especially at 132lbs. I am 219 and deading 475(normal, not sumo). But yeah, I am like nearly 90 pounds heavier and about 5’11". YOu are doing quite well.

Try some thinck bar training. I just got a “rolling thunder” today, it will kick your butt, I was only able to hold 100lbs for time, and barley got 125 up… I would recommend double overhand pulls and holds for time, and towel chins/hangs.

Good luck on your grip
will42

[quote]toughcasey wrote:
LOL the best thing about that video was the lady that got scared when you dropped the weight after the first lift… she looked back at you like “wtf are you doing lifting weights in here” funny![/quote]

I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you here. The best part of the video (IMHO) is him harnessing his chi before the lift (bruce lee style)