My Vertical Training Log

I am a rural kid who grew up not understanding a lot about the fitness industry due to my location. Ive been an average/slightly above average athlete throughout high school through volleyball, basketball, swimming and cross country running but recently have taken some University courses and a personal training course with NASM to further my knowledge on the subject. I have been going to the gym working out for about two years but am now switching from “working out” to training for a goal, which are two completely different things in my opinion.

I plan to log progress once weekly and am open to any input. I follow proper form on lifts and don’t butcher numbers, no belt but straps on occasion for deadlifts only if a finger is stubbed form playing ball and unable to grab the bar. I like the mentality that if you can’t left it without a belt, you shouldn’t be lifting it(however I mean no disrespect to the heavy lifters who require them, just trying to train myself without)

Starting
20 years old
5’10" 162lb
Full squat 205lb
Deadlift 285lb
Bench 165lb
Power Clean 165lb
Standing Reach: 2 Arms 7’4", 1 Arm 7’6"
Standing Vert: 1 Arm 30"(Tap Rim)
Running Vert: 2 Arm 32"(Tap with 2 hands), Hang 1 Arm No Problem
Note: 2 Footed Jumper
Motivation: 17 yr old, 6’ little brother whose doing Jump Manual and I refuse to lose too

Primary Goal: Dunk by 21st birthday.(March 31, 2012)
Complementary Goals: Bench 225lb, Squat 2xBW.

The Plan - Updating day 1 numbers each week
Dec 1 - Tested Vertical
Dec 2 - Starting Weights
Dec 9 - Week 2 Numbers
Dec 16 - Week 3 Numbers
Dec 23 - Week 4 Numbers

The Cycle Starts
Day 1 - Heavy legs
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Upper
Day 4 - Abs
Day 5 - Lower Power
Day 6 - Upper
Day 7 - Rest

HEAVY LEGS (sets x reps x weight lbs)
Power Clean - 2 x 3 x 135 (resistance warmup)
Full Squat - 4 x 5 x 185
Deadlift - 4 x 5 x 245
Ham Curls - 3 x 6 x 120
Leg Extensions - 3 x 6 x 200
Gastroc Raises - 3 x 6 x 260
Soleus Raises - 3 x 6 x 75

UPPER ( 4 sets, 5 reps, 80% max)
Bench Press
Wide Pull Ups
Military Press
Sitting Row
Inclined Press
Lat Pulldowns
Dips
Curl Dropsets
Lat/Back/Front Shoulder Raises

vert training thread in the conditioning forum:

start a log in the training log forum, not here.

is this a program of your own design?

it looks like you’re trying to do something similar to westside for skinny bastards (WS4SB), with a max effort lower day and a dynamic effort lower day. I’d suggest you just follow that, or the Jump Manual that you mentioned.

your leg training is not going to help you dunk.