T Nation

My Vertical Routine...Good?

Hi
What do You think about my program on increase vertical jump?

Mon

1. Snatch 3x3
  2. Jump squat 3x4
  3. back squat 5x5 ( >75% one max rep)
  4. bulgarian squat 2x5

Wed

1. Jump squat 3x3
  2. explosive squat 3x3 (50%)
  3. box squat 3x2
  4. back squat 4x3 ( -20% less on Mon)

Fri

1. reactive squat 3x3 (50%)
  2. back squat 5x2 ( >80%)

[quote]frank8 wrote:
Hi
What do You think about my program on increase vertical jump?

Mon

1. Snatch 3x3
  2. Jump squat 3x4
  3. back squat 5x5 ( >75% one max rep)
  4. bulgarian squat 2x5

Wed

1. Jump squat 3x3
  2. explosive squat 3x3 (50%)
  3. box squat 3x2
  4. back squat 4x3 ( -20% less on Mon)

Fri

1. reactive squat 3x3 (50%)
    [/quote]

there are soo many different components to a vert jump… i suggest you get at least a 1.5Xbw squat before you do any speed or reactive strength training.

and you probably want a plyo routine unless your in season/

I would switch to twice a week, something like the following:

Day 1

Rea sqts 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps you can wave load these if you are familiar enough
Rea Glute hams see above

If you aren’t comfortable with the above then switch to:

Squats 3-5 sets of 5 with about 85%
Glute hams 3-5 sets of 5

Day2 (performed 3 days later)

Jump squats with 30% 3X3
Jump squats with 15% 3X3
Split squat jumps 6 reps swithcing legs in the air
RDL 2x5-7 80-85%

Of course this is very generic with no knowledge of how you have been training, or your specific needs. The program you wrote contains too much volume for the given exercises.

I don’t think it looks too bad. I’m no expert, but I think it may be a little heavy on squat variations. How much do you weigh, and what are your 1RM squat and deadlift numbers? Unless you’re pretty strong already, you’d probably benefit from more strength work than you have here. What type of training have you been using up until now? Where do you stand on static-spring scale?

I would probably take out the jump squats on Monday, since they’re first on Wednesday and you don’t really need them both days. Replace it on Monday with glute-ham raises, single-leg deadlifts, Dimel deadlifts, etc.

I agree that a two-day split might be better, and working in several sets of plain ol’ vertical jumps might help as well.

Way too much squatting. Wednesday is especially insane. You’d better be very strong already to be doing what you’re proposing and even then it’s overkill.

I’d do:

Mon

1. Snatch 3x3
  2. back squat 5x3 ( >80% one max rep)
  3. bulgarian squat 2x5 per leg

Wed

3-5 Plyometric exercises of your choosing

Fri

1. Snatch 3x3
  3. romanian deadlift 3 x 8

without changing your program, if you instead went:

monday
thursday
saturday

and continued with

tuesday
friday
sunday

and continued with

wednesday
saturday
monday

limiting yourself to 7 days for such a program will be detrimental in my opinion… but i see it working if you get rid of your normal calender and adopt something which takes into account the recovery needed for each of those sessions… ie 48-72 hours rest.

i’m all for just trying stuff and seeing if it works though. I just don’t think that would work very well because you would never be fully recovered… unless your work capacity is god-like :slight_smile:

peace

Too much squatting. Take out about half of it and replace it with movements that develop your posterior chain – power cleans and snatches, pulls, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, good mornings, cable pull-throughs, etc.

Concentrate on maximal strength and power development at first, relegating speed work to just a small portion of your time spent training.

As you move through your training cycle, add more speed work and incorporate plyometrics for the last 4-5 weeks. You will probably want to decrease the volume of strength/power work correspondingly.

Peak and restart.

My back squat: 265 lbs
My weight: 180 lbs
My VJ: 23 inch

I need strength and power.

you need jesus

Yeah, you need to be stronger first. If I were you, I would train 2 days/week, one focusing on a heavy deadlift or good morning variation (focus on these for a while, as since you don’t even list deadlift numbers I assume you either don’t do them, or they’re weak), and for the other, I’d do your Monday session minus the back squats. That would actually be a pretty solid intermediate plan.

Trust me, I’ve walked this path for years, the advice I give to you:

-Keep it simple, the most important thing!
-squat
-deadlift/glute ham raise/romanian deadlift, pick one, stick with it
-stick with one system of lifting for years to come, for example:

Check the routine halfway the page, has worked for many lifters.

I’d also encourage you to look at www.dragondoor.com. Look for the power to the people routine, doesn’t get much more simple than that routine.

o yeah, keep jumping 2/3 times a week.

arnoud verschoor -you would can me write out exact training(with sets, reps, etc?
per 3 weeks