My Velocity Experiment

Today’s notes

• I took HOT-ROX too late last yesterday, not a good idea, messed me out of 1 1/2 hrs sleep, just a little too awake for sleep, on a good note got to watch some sportscenter waiting to get sleepy.

• Good workout today training numbers are good.

• Had a few discussion with clients today about this project. For some reason they think that I am just mentally tougher; but I am not sure that I believe that.

Much like Dan said just 1 day at a time.

-The whole mental side of this, is really interesting to me.

• Without sounding arrogant the 1st 2-3 days were a little tough, but honestly yesterday I gave thought to not having any whole food meals, through the 28 days; but after that tasty meal sure glad I did.

• Seriously though I believe if you follow Chris’s plan EXACTLY and just take it 1 day at a time anyone can succeed.

-I did shoot the progression photos put next to wk 1, it is very subtle. Interesting how subtle 7 pounds can look. Guess that’s how people subtly gain 30lbs

Great job on the V-Diet, I know what you mean about it getting easier after the 3rd day. I am on day 9 today and it gets easier everyday, but getting a good nights rest is essential to you feeling good the next day.

Good luck with the continued success, stay strong and focused. I will attest to the one day at a time outlook while on the diet. So far down 13 lbs in 9 days, but I started with a lot of weight. Good luck and keep working hard.

[quote]BigThrows wrote:
Great job on the V-Diet, I know what you mean about it getting easier after the 3rd day. I am on day 9 today and it gets easier everyday, but getting a good nights rest is essential to you feeling good the next day.

Good luck with the continued success, stay strong and focused. I will attest to the one day at a time outlook while on the diet. So far down 13 lbs in 9 days, but I started with a lot of weight. Good luck and keep working hard. [/quote]

Thanks man, look like you are kicking ass too.

Today notes I guess this is like day like day 9.

• I woke up early today felt great very alert before the alarm went off.

• Starting round 9am I was ravenous and pretty much stayed that way all day. It was lesson in shake management and timing throughout the day. Just finished my last one a second ago, which is ideally where I would like to finish it.

• No lifting today

• Although they did posted weights for the Jan 07 strongman contest over at
    http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1316447

so I now have something to look forward to.

• Took the dog for a long walk this evening around 50 mins was good, think I reached my “fat burning zone” LOL.

Sent a couple of guys my plan over the last day or so, hope that they found it useful.

Troy,
You probably do have a better mental toughness than most people. Although, I think most of those that strive to achieve goals have a higher mental toughness than most.

Keep up the good work on the diet. i know you have someone keeping tabs on you at home so make sure you take advantage of that.

Arioch

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Troy,
You probably do have a better mental toughness than most people. Although, I think most of those that strive to achieve goals have a higher mental toughness than most.

Keep up the good work on the diet. i know you have someone keeping tabs on you at home so make sure you take advantage of that.

Arioch[/quote]

Thanks man I appreciate it. I don’t know if I am any mentally tougher or not, but I am just going to keep plugging along with it.

However through the process I have really become intrigued with the whole psychology of fat loss.

Day 10

Today was pretty insignificant which is probably a good a thing.

I did break the 194 mark today, thanks to the digital scale 193.8

I went into Whole Foods today to by some water and ended up walking over into the bakery section.

Also had another networking meeting to attend today, you guessed it at another pizza place, free pizza inches away.

Interestingly enough I really had no cravings just wanted to do it to see if I could. Maybe I am getting a little too into the psychology of this.

Today’s workout very good, probably the best that I have had while on the v-diet.

Other than that not much today, now to take some fish oil and hit the hay.

Troy

Catching up from yesterday Day 11 -

Lots of observations today, I will start with stuff relevant to the diet.

1. Today is about the 3rd day in a row that I have woken up alert and ready to meet the day, it’s a really good feeling

2. I realized today that, I have not had any of the power naps that I like to take. I think they are a result of being more alert but don’t think that vice versa is true

3. Also I am saving a ton of time on not having to prepare and eat whole food, not sure how much but I would guess 5hrs per week or so

4. Just got back from walking the dog, I have taken a couple of 40 min walks this week, it kind of seems to start being a little more productive once you reach the 20 min threshold . This might just be my perception though.

Here are a couple of personal thoughts

1. While walking tonight, was think how great I feel, this is probably the best I have felt during an off season in a long time. This is probably some of the best off-season training that I could be doing, and I also can’t wait to get back to playing, how great it will be on the field at this weight with this kind of relative strength, should be fun.

2. I have been having the discussion of whether or not mental toughness is nature or nurture. The general consensus it is many factors; however I do believe that is something that can be taught, but most effectively at a young age.

Troy

Day 12

Today was a normal day all things told pretty light work day which is not great for the paycheck
but nice on a friday.

I spent most of the afternoon training and coaching strongman up at Josh Henkin’s place.

Notes:

• Hit 192.4 today moving steady

-Training was good, did my strongman work felt good for 1st time getting back
on a couple implements. The lady I am working with also did and excellent job

I might post the video link when I get it done.

strength levels are pretty good.

-I was kind of shooting to have abs by end of week 2 not going to quite be there, but definitely, having good progress

• Kind of looking forward to my whole meal a little today, nothing major though.

• Share the V-diet concept with a buddy of my in Florida today, he used to be a competitive bodybuilder, but has since gone to work in high finance and body has paid price, he has is just getting back to they gym after a couple years off as well as having experienced some serious back injuries. The v-diet might be a good
    quick start to help him get back on track.

Well that’s all today, going to edit the training video.

I am going to combine day 13/14 on the same post.

Day 13

-Down to 191.2 moving at pretty significant pace again.

-Today was pretty much completely off, aside from coaching a few clients.

-My right thumb is really sore from the axle lifts still.

Day 14 - 1/2 Way

Couple interesting things today.

• Down to 190.6, I am really intrigued to see how far this will go.

-Long walk in the AM with dog, about 45-55 minutes

-No lift today as still a little jacked from Friday. Back in the gym tomorrow though.

• Ate the same whole food meal today, tried to eat it a little slower but I eat really fast, so my wife says anyway.

Going to do measures, body comp, and picts tonight will post them tomorrow, should be an interesting measure.

Ok off to pack my shakes for the week.

Day 16 -

The last couple days have been pretty consistent nothing too new.

I have noticed the weight tends to rise a pound or 2 for a couple days after whole food and then tends to level out and start moving down again.

• Today I freaking ravenous, although the hunger did help me come up with what I think will be version of key lime pie, I was inspired by last week’s T-Nation newsletter. Have to wait until I am done with this to try

• could be just today but I am thinking that 2nd two weeks could be more difficult than 1st two weeks.

• I am still drinking water like it is going out of style but starting to tire of it a little, I thought about having some green tea today, but I didn’t. Trying to minimize the caffeine aside from what’s in the HOT-ROX

• I did photo and numbers the the other day.

Here’s what I have so far:

Wt. on Sunday was 190.6
BF% decrease of 1.5% on a 7 site test
Waist down - 3 inches
R. thigh down - 3 inches

I have posted some comparison from 1st day to the end of last week below:

another:

Troy -

Thanks for sharing your journey here with us. I started the V-diet for the second time this past Monday (11.6.06). Of course I’m only on the 3rd day but things seem ok today. The 2nd day of the diet is the toughest to me.

Man, free pizza twice you’ve passed up? That’s awesome. I’m a pizza-holic and I just can’t put myself in those situations. However I have before and came out victorious. It’s tough though.

Keep up the great work man. Hey, it looks like your love handles are shrinking in the pictures.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Troy -

Thanks for sharing your journey here with us. I started the V-diet for the second time this past Monday (11.6.06). Of course I’m only on the 3rd day but things seem ok today. The 2nd day of the diet is the toughest to me.

Man, free pizza twice you’ve passed up? That’s awesome. I’m a pizza-holic and I just can’t put myself in those situations. However I have before and came out victorious. It’s tough though.

Keep up the great work man.

Hey, it looks like your love handles are shrinking in the pictures. [/quote]

No problem, it’s all about putting experiences out there and hopefully it can help someone else . I agree day 2 and 3 were probably the toughest to date, then you start to fall in a rhythm. Recently for me just been a little on the difficult as I have think about food a lot.

You would be able to do the same; I agree with much of Alwyn talks about in his blog the other day, here’s the link: http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2006/11/focus-on-your-goals_06.html

I would say they definitely are the bodyfat percentage has me a little perplexed right now, but I have sneaking suspicion that my starting bf% may have been higher than I though.

[quote]TroyA wrote:
HogLover wrote:
Troy -

Keep up the great work man.

Hey, it looks like your love handles are shrinking in the pictures.

No problem, it’s all about putting experiences out there and hopefully it can help someone else . I agree day 2 and 3 were probably the toughest to date, then you start to fall in a rhythm. Recently for me just been a little on the difficult as I have think about food a lot.

You would be able to do the same; I agree with much of Alwyn talks about in his blog the other day, here’s the link: http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2006/11/focus-on-your-goals_06.html

I would say they definitely are the bodyfat percentage has me a little perplexed right now, but I have sneaking suspicion that my starting bf% may have been higher than I though.

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that link. Alwyn has some good stuff on there for sure.

Final Countdown - I was away for couple days this week but everything is going pretty much as planned. I am starting to prepare for the transition off. However, I believe that I am going to really shoot for getting my fat loss goal, even if it takes a bit beyond the v-diet.

Here are my observations for the last couple of days:

1. I mentioned a few days ago that I was getting bored with just water, well I have found something that has helped me. Lime juice, a couple squirts of Nellie & Joes Real Key Lime juice into about 1 liter of water is an excellent change of pace. I have also been adding a little green tea to this mixture but still trying to keep all non-supplement caffeine to a minimum

2. I actually had my whole meal last night instead today. We went to some friend’s house and had an excellent dinner with them I probably ate less calorically than I usually do. The effect has been that I am lighter today, but that’s pretty common sense. Here’s what I had:

6-8 ounce grilled chicken
grilled pablano pepper 1/2 with squash and pine nuts
micro green salad with grilled egg plant and squash, with balsamic dressing.

Great meal.

1. I have been having some diet 7-up but for this last week I am going to try and eliminate that as well. It seems like I retain a bit of water when I do, this is just my perception though.

2. Training is going great, right now. as mentioned previously I am getting ready for a strongman contest in Jan. I had session today, where I hit numbers that hadn’t previously hit.
    225 Axle Clean & Press, now this wasn’t a thing of beauty and definitely wouldn’t pass in an O-lift meet but it will work in strongman
    I took the 800 tire 75ft in about 2:15 which is a good first attempt at this tire for this distance. Luckily my tire is a going to be 600, I just wanted try this today.

If you would like to see the training video go to: http://www.liftdragcarry.com/videos.htm

Lastly new low bodyweight is 188 - I am pretty happy with week 3, seem to have gotten quite a bit leaner this week I will shoot some photo tomorrow or Tuesday, damn close to what I call “real abs”.

Troy

188!! That’s great man! I think you and I are pretty close to the same height and weight and I’m shooting to get down into the 180 range. Did you see a slow down in weight drop during week 2? Did it seem to pick up in week 3?

Congrats!

[quote]HogLover wrote:
188!! That’s great man! I think you and I are pretty close to the same height and weight and I’m shooting to get down into the 180 range. Did you see a slow down in weight drop during week 2? Did it seem to pick up in week 3?

Congrats![/quote]

Yeah not too bad I did numbers and photos last night will post them here in a sec. I think when I hit my end goal I will be around 184, but that won’t necessarily be at the end of the V-Diet.

I did slow down in wk 3 but the numbers seem to indicate that I lost more fat and may have at least maintained or gained some muscle.

I have decide all non-scientific measuring devices are to be held as a guide line not the absolute. I think that the mirror will tell about as well as any.

Thanks.

Last night’s photos and numbers

Wt was at 191.2(last night’s wt mornings are typically 188 now)
BF% - 14.17%(this is 7 site with Lange caliper - although my initial test said 17.9% I have to believe now that it was closer to 20%)
Waist 33 1/2 (1.5 from last week)
Thigh 24 1/4 (pretty much a push up 1/4 from last week.)

I am definitley more dehydrate/“dryer” in the mornings and appear a good bit leaner then.

If I flex I can see abs, but that is not by my definition abs, aka “walk around abs”.

Photo 1:

photo 2