My V-Diet Thread

Well, I’ve been interested in starting the v-diet, so I’ve put aside some extra cash and decided to begin it.

I will log daily. I will begin on Monday December 14th. I plan to diet until February 11th.

I just ordered 9 tubs of protein powder from T-Nation, 1 can of HOT-ROX, 1 tub of Surge, and 1 tub of creatine. I forgot BCAA’s, I was wondering why it was so inexpensive. :frowning: I will probally go buy them from GNC when I buy my flax seed oil/salmon capsules. Any reccomendations on the brand? I don’t think I’ll be ordering from T-Nation because of shipping on low cost orders.

I plan to eat Blueberries + oatmeal for solid meal, however more than likely I will probally end up going out to a steak house out of pure lust for meat. :slight_smile:

I will be taking pictures december 13th and on February 11th.

Currently i’m 165, 5’8 @ 15.5% body fat. I am aiming for 9-10%.

I took a few months off lifting and recently started again. I would like to get a good base to start on again. I’m aiming for 9-10% body fat then just adding lean muscle on from there with a solid diet.

If anyone has any tips on the diet please let me know, I appreciate the help. I’ll update after day one.
-Zach

[quote]ZSebag wrote:
Well, I’ve been interested in starting the v-diet, so I’ve put aside some extra cash and decided to begin it.

I will log daily. I will begin on Monday December 14th. I plan to diet until February 11th.

I just ordered 9 tubs of protein powder from T-Nation, 1 can of hot rocks, 1 tub of surge, and 1 tub of creatine. I forgot BCAA’s, I was wondering why it was so inexpensive. :frowning: I will probally go buy them from GNC when I buy my flax seed oil/salmon capsules. Any reccomendations on the brand? I don’t think I’ll be ordering from T-Nation because of shipping on low cost orders.

I plan to eat Blueberries + oatmeal for solid meal, however more than likely I will probally end up going out to a steak house out of pure lust for meat. :slight_smile:

I will be taking pictures december 13th and on February 11th.

Currently i’m 165, 5’8 @ 15.5% body fat. I am aiming for 9-10%.

I took a few months off lifting and recently started again. I would like to get a good base to start on again. I’m aiming for 9-10% body fat then just adding lean muscle on from there with a solid diet.

If anyone has any tips on the diet please let me know, I appreciate the help. I’ll update after day one.
-Zach

[/quote]

Hey ZSebag,

Congratulations on choosing to get on the V.
I am on day 14 myself and started out at 5"7, 156, 18.8%.
My log is at http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1862395

Did you mean January 14 to February 11?

You might want to use Flameout fish oils from Biotest, you will only need about 4 capsules a day, instead of other brands which are much less concentrated. And for BCAA I would go with Biotest also, although BCAA are not absolutely necessary to use at all - they are, as Berardi says “extra insurance” against lean body mass loss. But they certainly can’t hurt. I take 5 or 6 when I wake up in the night.

You might also want to get another container of HOT-ROX. 110 caps is just less than what you need for 28 days (4 caps per day) but, more importantly, you will probably want to have some for the transition off of the diet.

By the way, T-Nation ships orders over $150 free. Throw in HOT-ROX, BCAA’s, Flameout, you might be pretty close… can always throw in another Metabolic Drive, have some for the transition off of the V-Diet.

Make sure to read Shugart’s blog coming off the diet, because planning your transition phase off of the diet is key in order to not gain back weight quickly…

PM me if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.

-Wakiki

Best of luck!! Can’t wait to read your blog.

A couple things:

• The BCAA’s aren’t really necessary - at least in my opinion. While some people like to throw them in for “insurance” against lean body mass loss, I did the V-Diet about 2 1/2 years ago and haven’t noticed a difference (I’m on the V-Diet again and used the BCAA’s to see if there were any added changes. Nope).

• Be prepared for a possible mental slowdown. Wakiki’s reported feeling mentally sharp. I haven’t been and it’s been hard to focus on things. What’s been much better is the HOT-ROX. When I did the diet before, I was incredibly lethargic, even with taking two caps of HOT-ROX at a time. Now I do well on 1 cap of HRX. But even 2 caps doesn’t help with a mental boost.

• Get some chewable fiber tablets to munch on. Chris initially wrote about the psychological need to chew, and I thought he was nuts until after I went on the diet.

• Don’t forget your Surge at the gym on workout days. I did this on the diet the first time and again this week. Lightheadedness isn’t a good thing!

• I’d also suggest a steakhouse for the solid meal. Nothing beats a good steak after having nothing but shakes for 5 times a day.

I’m starting it next week as well. Good luck

I actually already have some protein powder for the transition (2ish pounds), this was just extra, I also already have some flax seeds as well so I’m pretty set. I’ve read the transition and have it planned out so, I think I should be fine.

I’m starting the V-Diet tomarrow(Monday). Just in time(The day after my cowboys game hehe.) I’m going to purchase some flax seeds tomarrow. I’m both excited and nervous to start. :slight_smile: By the way has anyone found any remedies for the bad breath I’ve heard about or should I just keep pocket mouthwash? I’ll be posting an update monday night.

It’s 7:10 PM Right now, I have 2 more shakes to go. I think I need to wake up a bit earlier, because I’m going to have to end up taking the last shake at 10:00-11:00 PM. I lifted today, I felt decent, but a bit queasy. I’ve felt a bit queasy throughout the day.

I did 2 pills of HOT-ROX today 1 in morning/afternoon. Tomorrow i’m going to go 2/2. The vanilla shake is much tastier than the chocolate. I’m hoping the queasyness goes away soon. So far it’s been the only difficult part of the diet. I’ll try to get pictures within a day or two, and then get pictures at the end if all goes well I’ll be on my way to the first six pack of my life.

Mr program is a simple westside barbell for skinny bastards.

I can’t fail! I won’t!

bad breath? Haven’t heard that one. I hope someone would tell me…

You have a word in your post I do not know or understand and can’t find the deffinition for…

I look forward to seeing your post on day #28
bill

By the way I started at about 15% 160. not 165, was a mistype.

This is a hell of alot tougher than I imagined! I commend anyone who is able to get through this. Man am I looking foward to a Steak/Sweet Potato/Grilled Asparagas and Broccoli this saturday.

[quote]ZSebag wrote:
It’s 7:10 PM Right now, I have 2 more shakes to go. I think I need to wake up a bit earlier, because I’m going to have to end up taking the last shake at 10:00-11:00 PM.[/quote]

Your shakes should be spaced evenly throughout the day, and you do want the last shake to fall close to bedtime, so that you do not become (too) catabolic during the night when your body runs out of protein and the HRX are no longer there to help.

This diet is rough, psychologically. Take it day by day. Drink a lot of water and green tea. Adequate sleep is also critical. Managing stress and emotions is also paramount. If in the past you used food in any emotional way (stress, boredom, etc) those habits may die hard. Just keep at it.

When you wake up on the 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th days in the morning, you will feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Look forward to this. Tell your friends what you are doing and get their support. This is not something most people could ever even think about doing, so be proud that you are taking your life into your own hands.

Wakiki

I really appreciate the words of support. I’ve told my parents and room mate and a few friends about this about this. There pretty supportive. I’m actually visiting home this weekend, my mom promised me a steak, a sweet potato, and vegetables. I’m really looking forward to this. I’m going to start drinking green tea as well. I have two boxes, but haven’t consumed any yet.

Day 3

It’s the morning of day three. Today feels alot better than the past couple days, I think my body is finally getting adjusted to hot rocks. I may move up to 1 capsule in morning, 2 at day time and see how that goes. Everythings coming great. I think I was at a lower body fat percent than I’d originally stated because the top abs seem to be coming in. I’m aiming to stay the entire 4 weeks, however If I hit my goal by 3 weeks I may go ahead and go on the coming off portion of the diet. I won’t do any less than three weeks though because I want the habbit change. I’m working out tonight, I’ll post how it goes.

Hi,

I found your thread linky-linked to some others and just want to wish you the very best. I’m doing the V-Diet too. Started on Sunday 13.

The steak is the right choice, dude. Chris Shugart would say sirloin but I’d get the rib-eye!

I’d love to read about your workouts and see the pics.

Ugh, I seem to get ALL my motivation problems at night. It seems as soon as 7ish to about sleep time I feel like quitting. I guess it’s because I’m busy with classes and what not until then. Perhaps I should not have quit my job(I hated the job, didn’t need the money, and would have interfered working at a sea food restaurant :slight_smile: ) I’m really craving that steak, sweet potato, Broccoli, and asparagas.

I also was curious whether you guys think I should go the full 28 days. I don’t think I need the fat loss of 28 days, I’m aiming for 10% and think I’m alot closer than 15%. I’m thinking 3 weeks + the 2 weeks off it of clean eating might do the trick? Any suggesitons? Of course this is probally my unmotivated night self talking.

ha ha. don’t quit early yet. Wait until three weeks are up and then decide if it’s been long enough. Or better, post some pics and we’ll take a vote.

re: seafood, i can’t decide between the seafood/peruvian restaurant or a double cheeseburger on saturday night…

I feel alot better about it on mornings. I definitly won’t go LESS Than 21 days, but that’ll be yalls decision. I want the habbit change.

Day 4: I feel a bit better. I’m still dreading each and every shake, and once my vanilla is gone I’m going to be supremely sad. Other than that it’s going pretty well. I have a test in Chinese today, after that it’s smooth sailing to the weekend and that steak.

[quote]ZSebag wrote:

Day 4: I feel a bit better. I’m still dreading each and every shake, and once my vanilla is gone I’m going to be supremely sad. Other than that it’s going pretty well. I have a test in Chinese today, after that it’s smooth sailing to the weekend and that steak.[/quote]

What do you dread so much about the shakes? Flavor? Just miss real food?

It reminds me of when my BIL had a feeding tube inserted in his stomach and he simply poured in cans of Ensure a few times a day. This went on for three months until his stomach healed.

He got so obsessed with food he’d sit around watching the Food Network all day.

On the plus side, after that ordeal ended he became an excellent cook. :slight_smile:

And how awesome is it to study Chinese and eat steak? You’re living the life, dude.

Feel better?

Ha, appreciate the support lol. It’s the flavor, I’m having to force it down, I’m not really getting hunger pains or what not. It’s also a mental thing, that I’m hoping to break.

[quote]ZSebag wrote:
I feel alot better about it on mornings. I definitly won’t go LESS Than 21 days, but that’ll be yalls decision. I want the habbit change.

Day 4: I feel a bit better. I’m still dreading each and every shake, and once my vanilla is gone I’m going to be supremely sad. Other than that it’s going pretty well. I have a test in Chinese today, after that it’s smooth sailing to the weekend and that steak.[/quote]

Are you getting new Metabolic Drive? I found the banana cream to be amazing, especially with some cinnamon on top…
That steak will taste better than any steak you’ve ever had - you’ll see what I mean.