T Nation

My Upper/Lower Routine Ok?

Hi I’ve just done almost a year of “full body , cardio , full body, cardio , full body , off.”
Since November I’ve gained 4 stone but am starting to stagnate now.
Being that full body workouts are mostly compound excercises putting a routine together for that was fairly simple. However since I’ve started this new Upper/Lower/Off routine it has been a bit confusing. Mostly due to more isolation movements and exercise variations.
So my current routine as follows “reps 6-15” :

Upper:
Barbel incline press x 3
Dips x 3
Wide chin-up x 2
Narrow cable row x 2
Incline cable wide row x3
Upright row x3
Military press x 3
Arms x “depends on the fatigue”

Lower:
Front squat x 4
Dead lifts x 3
Calves x 6
Ham curls x3
Leg extension x 1
Crunches x3
Leg raises x 3

Cardio

Upper 2:
Dips x 3
Barbell incline press x3
Narrow chin-up x2
Cable wide row x 2
Incline cable narrow row x3
Military press x 3
Upright row x 3
Arms x ?

Lower2:
Squats x 4
Romanian dead lifts x 2
Calves x 6
Leg curl x 3
Leg extension x 1
Leg raises x 3
Crunches x 3

Cardio 2

Repeat…

1. Which rep ranges?
  2. Why so many different exercises?
  3. Do you KNOW why you’re including an exercise or is this just a shopping list of exercises you know?

Pick a reputable program and stick with that instead.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

1. Which rep ranges?
  3. Do you KNOW why you’re including an exercise or is this just a shopping list of exercises you know?[/quote]

Agreed. This is more of a “collection of exercises” than a routine.

[quote]HugeEuge wrote:
Hi I’ve just done almost a year of "full body , cardio , full body, cardio , full body , off."
Since November I’ve gained 4 stone but am starting to stagnate now.
Being that full body workouts are mostly compound excercises putting a routine together for that was fairly simple. However since I’ve started this new Upper/Lower/Off routine it has been a bit confusing. Mostly due to more isolation movements and exercise variations.
So my current routine as follows “reps 6-15” :

Upper:
Barbel incline press x 3
Dips x 3
Wide chin-up x 2
Narrow cable row x 2
Incline cable wide row x3
Upright row x3
Military press x 3
Arms x “depends on the fatigue”

Lower:
Front squat x 4
Dead lifts x 3
Calves x 6
Ham curls x3
Leg extension x 1
Crunches x3
Leg raises x 3

Cardio

Upper 2:
Dips x 3
Barbell incline press x3
Narrow chin-up x2
Cable wide row x 2
Incline cable narrow row x3
Military press x 3
Upright row x 3
Arms x ?

Lower2:
Squats x 4
Romanian dead lifts x 2
Calves x 6
Leg curl x 3
Leg extension x 1
Leg raises x 3
Crunches x 3

Cardio 2

Repeat…

[/quote]

you can thank him yourself

1. Chest: 6-10 back: 8-12 legs: 10-15
  2. To hit the whole upper/lower body with moderate intensity on that day. “50-60 minutes”
  3. Yes I do know I am trying to get an equal balance of the push/pull.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

1. Which rep ranges?
  3. Do you KNOW why you’re including an exercise or is this just a shopping list of exercises you know?[/quote]

Agreed. This is more of a “collection of exercises” than a routine.[/quote]

1. Chest: 6-10 back: 8-12 legs: 10-15
  2. Why not? I’m hitting every body part moderately every 3 days.
  3. Not really trying to arrange them so it’s a nice push/pull balance and no mahout muscle gets over or under worked.

[quote]HugeEuge wrote:
Since November I’ve gained 4 stone but am starting to stagnate now. [/quote]
That’s a ton of steady progress, nice work. But when size gains stagnate, look to your nutrition before looking to your training. So… what, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

Also, your profile lists your height as “6,5” but I’m guessing that’s supposed to be 6 feet 5 inches? If so, understand that really tall guys tend to have different requirements when it comes to exercise selection. Basically, your body doesn’t play by the same rules due to leverage, so certain things (like squatting and deadlifting twice a week) might not be the best call. There have been a few different articles here discussing it.

You’re making it much more complicated than it needs to be. If you’re doing an upper/lower split hitting everything twice a week, you don’t really want or need 2-3 exercises per bodypart per workout.

Generally, the more bodyparts you train each session, the less attention each bodypart can get. This is a key point of the full body vs split debate. In an upper/lower split, 1-2 good exercises per part per workout can be plenty, and it still leaves room for direct/isolation work.

A few upper/lower splits to consider:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

you can thank him yourself [/quote]
Ha, thanks. But to be fair, those routines are designed to hit a bodypart “just” once a week. There’s nothing at all wrong with more frequency, but then those splits may need to be tweaked.

[quote]HugeEuge wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Why so many different exercises?
[/quote]
Why not? I’m hitting every body part moderately every 3 days.
[/quote]
The question should always be why are you including it. If you can’t find a good reason, eliminate it.