T Nation

My Upper/Lower Programs

There is some upper lower programs which I made. I’m working out in a gym for 5 months now, I’m ectomorph and my goal is to build muscles.
Can you tell me is my program good?
Upper 1
Lower 1
Rest
Upper 2
Lower 2
Rest
Rest
Repeat

Lower 1

• Squat 3 sets 6-8
  • Deadlifts 3 sets 8-10
  • Hack Squat 3 sets 8-10
  • Lunges 3 sets 8-12
  • Calves raises 5 sets 20-30 reps

Lower 2

• Squat 3 sets 10-12
  • Deadlift 3 sets 8-10
  • Hack Squat 3 sets 8-12
  • Leg curls 3 sets 8-10

Upper 1

• Pull Ups 3 sets 6-8
  • Incline bench press 3 sets 8-10
  • T bar rows 3 sets 6-10
  • Close bench press 3 sets 8-10
  • Lateral raises 4 sets 8-10
  • Reverse Flys 2 sets 8-10
  • Lying triceps extension 3 sets 8-10
  • Concentration curls 3 sets 8-10

Upper 2

• Bench press 3 sets 6-8
  • Bent over rows 3 sets 6-10
  • Dips 3 sets 6-10
  • Close Lat Pulldown 3 sets 8-10
  • Overhead Press 3 sets 8-10
  • Cable triceps pushdown 3 sets 8-10
  • Hammer biceps curls 3 sets 8-10

that’s not a program. there is no progression

The only reason I’d suggest doing something different is because, that’s a hell of a lot of volume. Technically you can progress, probably by adding more weight, but it’s a guarantee that you’ll burn yourself out after some time.

There’s going to be someone who suggests 5/3/1, so lend an ear because it’s a legit program. Any number of the hard gainers programs on this site will do too. WS4SB is great as well. Best Damn, is also a great as well.

He will add weight when he gets stronger…Progression.

I personally do not like upper/lower splits but, it is not a terrible set up.

I would suggest you do not do squats and deadlifts on the same day. Lower the rep range on the deadlifts and maybe switch out one hack squat for leg press.

I will add weights progessivly.

I’ve searched about 5/3/1, but I’m still beginner, so all of those hard lifts like 90% of 1RM are not for me yet.
Can I make my upper/lower betther by changing something and what?

There is a lot of over-lap between your days.

You have vertical/horizontal pushing (or shoulders/chest/arms) and vertical/horizontal pulls (or lats and middle back) on both upper body days.

Some upper/lower routines focus more on shoulders/overhead one day and chest/bench press the other day.

Or one lower body day might be deadlift/hamstring focused or squat/quad focused. Instead of working them both, both days.

Now this isn’t like a Universal, carved in stone rule, just something to keep in mind. If you find yourself worn out and not progressing because you’re trying to do too much in each session, you can always adjust your scheme to Focus a little more.

Its a upper/lower body split ! your beginner focus on the Big basic ! Good Luck !

Not very well… 90% in 5/3/1 isnt your 1 RM max! Its 90% of a Training max which are programmed between as low as 85% or 90 % of your 1 RM. If you had really researched the program you would have known about the Training max and how its one of the core pillars of the program.

Your program is similar to how I lifted when I first began. While it’s good as a start - your focus on compound lifts and varying rep ranges is solid - as you get stronger and lift more weight, it’ll burn you out. Plus, it’s actually overkill.

Here are a few modifications addressing the concerns i have and others like @strongmangoals and @planetcybertron have mentioned:

Lower 1

• Squat 3 sets 6-8 (after a warm up)
  • Romanian deadlifts 3 sets 8-10
  • 3D lunges 3 sets 12-15 (bodyweight, 1st set forward, 2nd set 45* to the outside of the lunging leg, 3rd set reverse)
  • Abs - 4 sets of your preference

Lower 2

• Deadlift 3 sets 4-6 (after warm up)
  • Leg press 3 sets 15-20
  • Leg curls 3 sets 8-10
  • Abs 4 sets hanging leg raises

Upper 1

• Pull Ups 3 sets 6-8
  • Incline bench press 4 sets 8-10 (after warm up)
  • T bar rows 4 sets 8-10
  • Lateral raises 3 sets 50 total reps
  • Lying triceps extension 3 sets 8-10
  • Concentration curls 3 sets 8-10

Upper 2

• Bench press 3 sets 6-8 (after warm up)
  • Bent over rows 3 sets 6-10 (after warm up)
  • Dips 3 sets 12-15
  • Close Lat Pulldown 3 sets 10-12
  • Hammer biceps curls 3 sets 8-10
  • Rear delt raises 3 sets 10-12

This is one way to remodel the details of your program while leaving the basic structure intact.

After two months of this program, you may be ready to lift a little heavier on a couple of the exercises, like deadlifts, and perhaps change out similar movements, like standing overhead press for incline bench.

I will try to follow this program for maybe two months, then I will try something like 5/3/1 or so.

BTW, my squat form is not perfect at all, so I need to improve it, before heavy lifts.

I think squatting for more sets with fewer reps and avoiding lots of fatigue helps improve squat from more than repping out high-number sets.