My Unusual Program

Singles program…

Answer to “is this reasonable?” -no, you will not be able to have it all your own way

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I’d thought that he wanted most of his training to be single rep: the arguments about soreness etc would seem not to be specific to the particular lifts discussed.[/quote]

Yea to be honest the OP’s been a bit too vague for me to be sure that he’s doing anything for higher reps, but one of his subsequent posts led me to believe he was open to higher rep work on his assistance lifts… he called it ‘skill work’. Not sure what that’s supposed to mean.

I think at the end of the day the OP’s trying to reinvent the wheel here, and that usually doesn’t work out well.

Several O-35er’s train Bulgarian style for a good chunk of the year and are strong as shit. There’s also a few younger guys in the PL section who appear to have gotten good results. There are guys with really big raw totals who work up to a daily single on the big lifts and then do a few back-off doubles or triples.

Check out some of the posts in this thread and look for posts by Curls4Girls.

For example:

"I will say that I work up to a TRUE max every time I step into the gym. I bench many times a week (a lot more than people would suggest) and doing so (maxing out on the different bench variations multiple times a week) has brought my max from low 300 to mid 400 in months I also squat and pull several x a week and have progressed significantly in both of those lifts.

I only total in the 1700s as low 200lb lifter but have seen much success with the bulgarian method."

Thanks, for all the responses. It seems like a good balance of humor, criticism & advice (trust me I’m listening, I posted here to avoid reinventing the wheel).

I got ‘7 movements’ from this article: The Best Way to Lift Weights
its nothing fancy just, squat, lunge, hinge, vert/horiz push/pull etc.

I’m reading the singles programs & articles you guys posted. Im going to try and stick with this idea for a few months. even if its not easy or optimal I think its worth the experiment. One misconception Im realizing i might have is the relationship between volume & soreness. I’ll have to consider that as i reevaluate. but for now I think I just need to tested it out.

OP, this is sort of a neat idea, but it is contrary to the last 5000 years of strength training. I think your thinking is something like, “why not cut to the chase and focus on the optimal set, or single in this case?” Theoretically getting really efficient strength focused training and avoiding hypertrophy and getting too “muscle-ie.” The fact is, its pretty clear that 3-5 reps is the strength range, and 5+ is were the most hypertrophy will occur.

If you pursued your plan, here’s my prediction–you’d see some results, get addicted to iron and really the journey, and eventually forget about “getting too muscle-ie,” start doing some 3-5 rep sets like everyone else, get swole, then jacked, start a “where to I buy jeans thread,” get yoked, hit beast-mode etc.

[quote]typicalteenager wrote:
I got ‘7 movements’ from this article: The Best Way to Lift Weights
its nothing fancy just, squat, lunge, hinge, vert/horiz push/pull etc.
[/quote]

Not a bad list. I personally think you’re missing the loaded carry, but that might be because I read too much Dan John.